Post-Op Exercise

Gossamer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey simplycomplicated,

also, make sure and read some of the posts prior in this thread, rich91403 and Irishstreak gave some great feedback and information.

i am a month out, and pretty much back to my normal routine....maybe "slightly" less intensity/weight than before, and still no crunches. i just like to be safe.

My Hair Loss Web Site

FUT - 8/12/11 - Dr. Keller - Chicago - 3140 grafts

365 singles, 375 doubles, & 2400 multiple hair grafts

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

hello guys tomorrow it will be 3 months since my FUT surgery with dr. meshkin (3020 grafts) I am a mix martial arts fighter and would like to know what you guys think. my doctor told me I am ok to start doing anything without limitations. weight lifting, wrestling, jujitsu,boxing, muay thai, etc.... i have read some articles on the internet and some doctors say to weight up to 6 months to do grappling and weights:( I think my scar looks fine so far and I would like to keep it that way. I will be posting pics tomorrow on a different thread. thank you and let me know what you guys think.

hey simplycomplicated,

also, make sure and read some of the posts prior in this thread, rich91403 and Irishstreak gave some great feedback and information.

i am a month out, and pretty much back to my normal routine....maybe "slightly" less intensity/weight than before, and still no crunches. i just like to be safe.

Thanks...Ya...read those posts...quite informative that is....after reading all that..I have decided that I can start with light cardio now and increase the intensity as the time goes by....will touch weights and do crunches and abs and other floor exercises, only at the 3 month mark though to be safe..

thank you for all your responses and support:) as some of you know today is 3 months since my FUT surgery with dr. meshkin (3020 grafts). also as I mentioned before I am a mix martial arts fighter and would like to know what you guys think? My doctor told me I am ok to start doing anything without limitations, weight lifting, wrestling, jujitsu,boxing, muay thai, etc.... However, I have read some articles on the internet and some doctors say to weight up to 6 months to do grappling and weights:( I think my scar looks fine so far and I would like to keep it that way. I just would like to hear your different oppinions. thank you

hey futbol9,

i know someone earlier in the thread talked about grappling and the time frame associated with waiting for that. and from when i asked about weights and researched, i pretty much found out that definitely within a month you are good to go back to normal weight routine....i was told i could go back to light weights after a week or two and work up, avoiding sit-ups and anything that put direct strain on the donor area like shrugs.. but 3 months out you should be good to go on the weightlifting, probably wouldn't hurt to start at a slight less intensity/amount of weight than you were doing prior.

as far as the grappling, boxing, etc...even though some might say it is ok, i would be hesitant myself. that would be putting you at direct risk of blunt trauma to the scar and they say it isn't fully healed for up to a year? i think? (not saying you have to wait a year to box). also everyone heals at different rates.

take what i say with a grain of salt. although i have done a lot of research, i am relatively new to this forum and not a seasoned veteran, doctor, or expert. i replied with what i have read and my understanding so far since no one seemed to have replied to your previous post, just to try to help a little.

there is one person that replied above to my question that has had an FUT and is a doctor/rehabilitation expert, you may try messaging him personally.

feel free to hit me up with any questions or anything.

best of luck.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

again, i am not expert, but if it seems fairly healed.....is it still pink?

how often would you be doing it and for how long?

My Hair Loss Web Site

• 1 month later...

hello guys today is been 41/2 months since my hair transplant. I been working out with light weigghts at the gym and also doing pushups and pull ups at the house, and for cardio I been doing my C2 ROWER (you tube). the back of my neck feels tight after working out ( pushups,pullups etc...). Does this means my scar could stretch? People says that when feeling tighness in the back of the neck is better to stop doing that exercise to prevent stretching of the scar. Iam confuse. For example when doing pushups the muscles in the back are working too so I feel it is normal for the back of the neck to feel tight and sore after working out. Specially when working out on your shoulders, the neck is going to be sore and a little tight. Let me know what u think

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys today is been 5 months and 3 days since the day of my surgery. dr. meshkin told me to wait 6 months to do brazilian jujitsu and wrestling do to the grabbing and bending of the neck in these two sports. I really like how my donor scar looks right now and I do not want to do anythin to streach it out.

Do you think I will be safe after 6 months to practice these two sports with out fear of stretching my scar? I also started to lift weights everynow and then but very light. I want to be able to do squads, bench press, pull ups, dedlifts etc.... what do you guys think?

futbol, many of us have answered your question many times. i am not sure what you are wanting to hear. I have been at full weight-lifting level since a month after surgery...and i'm fine.

My Hair Loss Web Site

• 1 month later...
hello guys tomorrow it will be 3 months since my FUT surgery with dr. meshkin (3020 grafts) I am a mix martial arts fighter and would like to know what you guys think. my doctor told me I am ok to start doing anything without limitations. weight lifting, wrestling, jujitsu,boxing, muay thai, etc.... i have read some articles on the internet and some doctors say to weight up to 6 months to do grappling and weights:( I think my scar looks fine so far and I would like to keep it that way. I will be posting pics tomorrow on a different thread. thank you and let me know what you guys think.

Dude, trust me, youre fine. I had 1800 grafts with Meschkin in 2009 and my second ones is next month. I plan on starting to run after 2 weeks and then light lifting 2 weeks after then back to normal 2 weeks after that. Thats what I did during my first HT and my scar is so small and undetectable that I can cut my hair shorter than I'd like to without anyone seeing the scar.

Your in good hands with Meschkin, pun intended.

I think after a transplant, its really hard to generalize about when a particular patient should go back to cardio, weights, etc . . . Not every patient heals the same way, not every patient has the same scalp laxity and not every patient had the same type of closure. CaptainO might have had a tension-free closure and has nice laxity whereas futbol9 doesnt have the same laxity and the closure had more tension. We don't really know. Plus, some people may be more susceptible to scar stretching than others especially those who have undergone multiple procedures. Some may be able to go back as soon as 2 weeks but others may not. Obviously talk to your doc about any limitations he thinks you may and be in tune with your body about what seems to stress the area.

The stretching of an fut scar is mentioned a lot in these type of threads but is there anyone who has trained hard after hair transplant surgery (weight training in particular) and still had good results?

Personally, its more important to me regarding the the growth of recipient area( which is the reason why i had a transplant) than the area which will be hidden with hair.

However, i don't want to stretch the scar if it reduces my donor supply, if thats possible?

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

The stretching of an fut scar is mentioned a lot in these type of threads but is there anyone who has trained hard after hair transplant surgery (weight training in particular) and still had good results?

Personally, its more important to me regarding the the growth of recipient area( which is the reason why i had a transplant) than the area which will be hidden with hair.

However, i don't want to stretch the scar if it reduces my donor supply, if thats possible?

All the people in this thread and all others I have read at least waited a couple of weeks before going back to weights. I mean, you don't even get your staples out until day 10-12. I was back to training hard after a month and my scar looks great. I think N-6 made a good point that it is hard to make a blanket rule for when to return to lifting and which intensity. Everyone is different. I agree you should always ask your doc, but then again, some docs, in my opinion are overly cautious. In the end it is your head, hair and scar....and your decision.

You mentioned that you don't really care if the scar stretches, except if it affects your donor supply. I can assure you that a wider or stretched scar does not reduce the number of donor hairs...they are still there - just have a space in between them. But, I bet if you really think about it, you don't want a visible scar in the back, or at least highly visible scar. Even if your hair is longer in the back....if you go swimming or sweat hard, you don't want people to see a line from one ear to the other....you know?

Ask your doctor how your elasticity is as far as your skin goes on your head in the donor area. Do you have any other scars from the past? Did they heal well?

Also as N-6 mentioned, You are obviously going to have the most elasticity with your first HT...and more than likely can return to exercise more quickly than say, if you are on HT #3, where your scalp is going to be more stretched and tight.

Hope this helps. I know how important exercise/lifting is to some of us and others don't understand. I also think that my returning to cardio.....after week 1, actually helped in the healing process - gettin that blood pumping.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Thanks for the reply southbeacharchi.

Should have phrased that better, my mistake sorry.

I do care about the scar in donor area,but preference is the recipient.

Actually slipped my mind regarding swimming so thanks for reminding me.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

no problem....

My Hair Loss Web Site

• 1 month later...

Hey there! I'm new here and haven't figured out how to post a new thread yet so I'm just going to add to this one for now.

I'm 12 days post-op (900 grafts on the right hairline) and I've resumed my high intensity cardio routine as of yesterday. My instructions say that weight lifting is okay from Day 14 post-op as long as I avoid exercises that will "stretch" the donor area. I'm having a hard time figuring out which exercises to avoid aside from sit ups and crunches.

I'm hoping to resume the exercises listed above on Tuesday or Wednesday (Day 14/15 Post-op) Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you

Edited by MCR

Hey MCR,

Did you check out all the great information that was posted previously in this thread. It should give you a pretty good general answer to your question.

If that still doesn't answer what you asked, reply back and I'll try to summarize a basic answer or better put, "a good overall general rule."

Congrats on the HT!

My Hair Loss Web Site

It seems as though all of the exercises I listed above should be okay. The only ones I'm concerned about are Squats & Lunges because the barbell sits on a meaty part of the back- do you think this will stretch the scar? As well as the back exercises (rows and deadlifts) I read somewhere that because you're "looking down" in these exercises it stretches the scar.. is that true? If it makes a difference, they're light weights

And for abdominals, I would think the plank/hoover and leg raises are okay but how about the side raises, do you think there's any risk of stretching from doing this exercise?

Edited by MCR

Are you sure you read all the postings carefully?

I am not sure where you got two weeks from. I started cardio after a couple of weeks. I don't think I started back to weights until about a month, and at that point, it was at much less of a capacity and higher reps than what i was doing previously. If you read through carefully I think what most people say is that everyone heals differently and doing what I did is not a bad way to start. As far as what lifts/exercises you can do, would be most easily summed up by, you can do exercises in which you do not feel a pull on your head, neck or even upper back, or put pressure on your head etc.

Seriously, go back through the posts. Everything has been said on this topic, we were even lucky enough to have a doctor/physical therapist chime in. Everything you need is addressed in this thread. I'm not sure of any other help I can offer. Everyone is different, in the end err on the side of caution.

Since it has been covered so thoroughly, you may not get many more replies....

Best of luck.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Btw, I think 2 weeks is too soon to be hitting the weights. That is why I asked where you got that from as I don't remember anyone saying that in this thread, or actually reading that anywhere on the web and I researched it quite thoroughly.

Edited by southbeacharchi

My Hair Loss Web Site

The instructions I was given at the centre said it was okay to resume weights after day 14 so I was going off of what I was told. I'll hold off for now.

Edited by MCR

The instructions I was given at the centre said it was okay to resume weights after day 14 so I was going off of what I was told. I'll hold off for now.

Oh. I've never heard that, and actually surprised. Did they at least tell you to start out slow or with lighter weights/intensity? Trust me buddy, i know it is hard to wait to get back into the gym. That was one of the hardest things for me. I am always afraid if i take too long off I'll lose my strength/muscle quickly.

But, I definitely wanted to get back into cardio, not only to keep weight off, but I wanted to get that blood pumping. In my opinion that has to help the healing process.

My Hair Loss Web Site