Post-Op Exercise

Gossamer

How long should one wait after a hair transplant before considering the following activities...

-Walking?

-Running - 3 miles? 10 miles?

-Lifting weights - Machines? Free weights?

-Abs - Leg raises? Crunches? Sit-ups?

-Whitewater rafting?

-Wall-climbing?

My primary objective is to not stretch or harm the donor scar, but I would like to have a better idea as to when I can feel comfortable resuming activities without doing any damage. (FWIW, 1744 grafts from strip extending from above one ear to the other... tight scalp with 100 staples.)

Thanks!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A week after my staples were out , I headed to the gym on the doctor's allowance. Generally I avoided crunches-flat/incline/decline bench press- squats other than that you should be good.

If you feel a strain on the scar, then avoid it. Generally I was back in full force 4 weeks later, no issues, no stretching thus far and I am 6 weeks out.

Actually I found myseld arching my back on standing exercises, to release tension from my upper body.

-Walking? :D

-Running - 3 miles? 10 miles? :cool:

-Lifting weights - Machines? Free weights? Moderate:cool:

-Abs - Leg raises? Crunches? Sit-ups?:eek:

-Whitewater rafting? Not sure, would be wearing snugg head protection so I would avoid.

-Wall-climbing? Heeeh, too much head tilting looking for the next best grip so I would leave it for a bit.

My two cents.

Hope it helps.

Edited by Amped

I had fue so can't really comment on the scar but I was advised to wait 2 weeks before going to the gym. Also, I was advised to wait until 4 weeks before going heavy. Apparently the reason for waiting has to do with the vascular system and graft survival.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

• 3 months later...

This is something I have been doing research on all day. There seems to be many conflicting views on this. It is such a conundrum....you work so hard to achieve a certain level of fitness, muscle, running endurance....and taking a month or even as some suggest 3 months, would set you back so much...3 months would be like starting over.

But, then you also want to minimize the scarring on this procedure that will hopefully change your life.....

what to do.

I would like to hear more feedback on this.....anyone?

My Hair Loss Web Site

FUT - 8/12/11 - Dr. Keller - Chicago - 3140 grafts

365 singles, 375 doubles, & 2400 multiple hair grafts

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

It is good to be conservative with weights for the first couple weeks. From my research I did nothing the 1st week, walked the 2nd week and resumed full cardio after that. I decided to be conservative and wait until this week (4weeks) to lift weights even though it is probably fine to start light weights a little earlier, but I just thought why take the risk. Also, avoid anything that will put pulling pressure on your scar for a few months. Hope that helps. Good luck with everything.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

As the others have stated, I would err to the side of caution. I plan on doing nothing for at least 30 days, with the exception of walking. After that Ill start back my running routine. I plan on staying away from weights for a t least 2 months! But thats just me

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

It is good to be conservative with weights for the first couple weeks. From my research I did nothing the 1st week, walked the 2nd week and resumed full cardio after that. I decided to be conservative and wait until this week (4weeks) to lift weights even though it is probably fine to start light weights a little earlier, but I just thought why take the risk. Also, avoid anything that will put pulling pressure on your scar for a few months. Hope that helps. Good luck with everything.

Thanks for the replies, yeah, that seems to be what the information says out there,...at least for minimal wait time. I'm afraid of losing what I've attained so far, but the hair is more important.

Basically just wanted to hear other's stories, how long they waited, and if it stretched their scar or not?

Thanks and good luck with you too.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

SouthBeach,

The main concern in the first four days is not to significantly raise your blood pressure potentially lifting the new grafts from their sites.

Moderate training should be fine. It was for me and I continued my training one day POS.

Machine work the first week with your head in a upright and neutral position is recommended. Breathing should be smooth and coordinated with concentric and eccentric parts of the movement. No forceful (Valsalva) holding your breath while exertion on your lifts should be utilized.

You can do the slow and controlled lifting technique (less weight and increased time on the concentric/eccentric if you like for a change.

You should avoid the exercises that involve the trapezius (shrugs/upright rows/deadlifts etc) because it will put great stress on the donor scar. The traps attach to the back of your head (EOP) putting great tension on the donor closure. Avoid forward head flexion and contacting the back of your head on the gym benches. You can roll up a towel (like a cervical pillow) to avoid the contact and provide head support .

Running should also be moderate the first few days but after that you can resume your normal cardio work while maintaining good head posture.

Concentrate on your breathing and not elevating your BP the first week post op.

A dynamic body heals very well. Good luck SB!

"Opinions and expressions are solely my own!"

• 3 weeks later...

Great response Rich91403. If you want to know how long you need to take off of intense aerobics and intese weight lifting stay away from all the opinions and look to human physiology...

Look at the processes of wound healing (i.e. Inflammatory, proliferative, remodeling) and the timelines. With that known and pending you are healthy and took good care of the wound then you are likely well outside of the inflammatory and granulation processes of the wound by days 8 or 10 and its safe to return to activity. So, between a good diet of veggies, good proteins, and plenty of antioxidants (i.e. tea, coffee, pomagrante joice)... then keeping with wound clean and covered with antiobiotic ointment, etc. You should be quite confident in going back to heavy workouts after about 10 days (which is what Dr. Haber recommended to me). When getting my staples out today I asked if the scar looked good (Pos Op day 8 for me) and they said it looked great (a byproduct of a good surgeon, good diet, being healthy, and good wound care) so I will be competing in a 5k this saturday (post op day 11) and going back to heavy lifting and long runs next week. Taking off 30 days or 2 months is extremely unnecessary and is without any science. If I feel pain (often your first indicator of tissue damage) then I will back down from something, but otherwise I plan on going full go next week. 10-14 days is all you need to rest before going back to full go and a healthy life style which will assist in the healing process as well. (FYI I am a Doctor of physical therapy and do wound care in my practice)

You have no idea how much I appreciate your post. It makes me feel a lot better. There is no way I was going to be able to take off even a month completely, let alone what some doctors say out there....3, 6...etc.

I decided to go ahead and cut out the possibility of my half-marathon this fall, but glad I can get back to running/lifting a lot sooner than i thought.

I just don't want to stretch the scare. I like to think of myself as fairly intelligent with good common sense....I think i am going to be safe and wait at least 10 days before anything, but maybe biking towards the end of that period. But, planned on resuming running/lifting gradually as I have read many places and using common sense that if I can feel strain or anything in the donor area...stop.

Thanks again so much. Have a great 5k, and please keep me posted on your donor scar healing, etc.

Best of luck.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Thanks so much rich91403 for all the detailed information. It will all be used and is greatly appreciated. Sorry I did not reply sooner, but it was finals week at grad school.

Best of luck to you as well.

My Hair Loss Web Site

SouthBeach,

You are very welcome. Us athletes and physical culture guys have to stay together! Glad the info was helpful. Dr Irish Streak gave some wonderful expert advise. Great to have a RPT weigh in as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Fellas-

Hope everyone is doing well. I just had another thought that might put some at ease... de-training effects don't occur for 8-10 days in weekend worrier type athletes and may take up to 14 days in elite athletes or olympic level athletes. I ran my 5k on post op day 11 in 20:50 which was only a few seconds slower than the one I ran a week before my HT, but it was also a different course. Best of luck to all the athletes out there in taking some healthy rest time post op and then getting back to their sports and peak performance quickly.

Hello guys I had hair transplant two months ago. I am a cage fighter and as many of you know that involves grappling such as wrestling and jujitsu and other stuff. I constantly get my neck bend because they grab and pull the back of my head most of the time while grappling. My doctor told me I can go back to fighting again in 6 weeks but Iam very concern about making my scar wider. I have not done anything in two months. I was told by this other two doctors to wait ateast 3 months even to do weights. One doctor even told

me to wait 3 to 6 months. I also was told it takes up to a year for the scar to fully mature.

I have this cardio machine at home call the C2 rower (is rowing machine) Fighters love using this machine for endurance purpose.

I do not know if I should start using this cardio machine because aim afraid of making the scar wider. Iam also use to do a lot of high intensity circuit training, it works great for endurance. Do you think my scar will be ok if I start rowing and doing circuit training (high intensity cardio work outs)? For circuit training I don't need any weights. ( lots of burpees, clapping push ups, jump rope, shadow boxing, pull ups,etc.....) let me know what you think please. Ian going crazy here.

As you know, there are a lot of different opinions on this. Your scar is healed now, but doing something extreme could cause it to stretch for a few months post surgery from what I understand. Keeping that in mind, at this point you should be able to resume a full workout routine. If you do something that feels like it is putting pressure on the scar then just stop that particular thing.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Futbol,

2 months post op? You're good to go. You could have resume cardio work and light resistance training within a few days of your procedure with the recommendation of not trap work or forward head flexion.

You are absolutely ready for full conditioning weight/circuit/cardio training. You are certainly ready for stand up kicking and boxing training. Grappling and ground work, to be safe, can be resumed in another 4 weeks. I really feel you can return now but if no competitions or matches are scheduled why not wait another month.

Personally I think you were given overly cautious advice. People who do not live the physical culture/training lifestyle can be very dismissive with telling you take 6 months off.

Lift, run, work the bag and sparring are appropriate at this point.

See you in the UFC

• 2 weeks later...
Fellas-

Hope everyone is doing well. I just had another thought that might put some at ease... de-training effects don't occur for 8-10 days in weekend worrier type athletes and may take up to 14 days in elite athletes or olympic level athletes. I ran my 5k on post op day 11 in 20:50 which was only a few seconds slower than the one I ran a week before my HT, but it was also a different course. Best of luck to all the athletes out there in taking some healthy rest time post op and then getting back to their sports and peak performance quickly.

Congrats on the 5k time. I was actually going to follow-up and ask about it, but post-op got sidetracked.

I was able to make it 5 days, then I had to start running again. The skin back there isn't tight, so I am pretty comfortable. I am lifting weights for first time tomorrow.....going to start with lower weights, higher reps.

Thanks SO much for the de-training effects information. That did put my mind at ease greatly.

Are there ANY "safe" chest excercises? Why is it said to not do anything that puts your head flat against a bench, just because of the position it puts your head....stretching the back?

Thanks all and happy excercising.

My Hair Loss Web Site

SBA,

Good to hear you are hitting the roadwork again.

Flat bench work positions the trainer where the back of the head is one of the contact points against the bench. You probably do not realize the pressure from the contact as your head helps with stabilization while performing intense lifts.

Why not utilize the upright chest machines in the gym? This way no adverse hemodynamics/no elevated blood pressure to the head in a supine position and to minimize or eliminate touching the back of your head against the vertical pad. Not touching the pad is good for sanitary reasons and also not to stress the incission sight.

If you do the flat work roll up a towel that elevates your head and acts like a cervical pillow support.

I'd stick with the upright substitutes for a short while and you will not miss a beat as to retaining prior lifting capacity.

SBA,

Good to hear you are hitting the roadwork again.

Flat bench work positions the trainer where the back of the head is one of the contact points against the bench. You probably do not realize the pressure from the contact as your head helps with stabilization while performing intense lifts.

Why not utilize the upright chest machines in the gym? This way no adverse hemodynamics/no elevated blood pressure to the head in a supine position and to minimize or eliminate touching the back of your head against the vertical pad. Not touching the pad is good for sanitary reasons and also not to stress the incission sight.

If you do the flat work roll up a towel that elevates your head and acts like a cervical pillow support.

I'd stick with the upright substitutes for a short while and you will not miss a beat as to retaining prior lifting capacity.

Thanks again rich91403. I will definitely follow your advice and use upright machines for chest. And thank-you for explaining exactly what was bad about the bench.

I actually hit the gym today for the first time. Lighter weights, and never felt any pain in the donor scar area that people say to look out for as a sign to stop doing that particular lift. That is what you look for pain right? I tried to see if I could feel any "stretching" back there too and couldn't. Luckily I think my scalp skin in the back isn't really tight....still quite a bit of wiggle room

Felt so good to just walk back in the gym.

Thanks for sharing your wealth of information on the topic.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Your welcome SBA! Thanks for being receptive to my humble opinion.

Pain is not a great indicator in this particular situation. The donor area has altered sensation at this point. There will be patches of hyperesthetic and hypoesthetic around the donor area. You are a healthy guy. Wound healing should be complete within one month. After that I believe there is nothing to worry about. You're almost there. A few more weeks of modified training and you're right back to full capacity!

hello guys I am 9 weeks after my strip hair transplant. will push ups and pull ups stretch my donor scar? I just did 50 pushups before typing this message I felt them a little bit in my lower neck area, but I thing that is because today is my first time doing anything in almost 2 and a half months. I started doing the C2 rower machine

last week, but I just feel like I am doing nothing if I do not lift weights:( well, let me know guys if push ups and pullups are ok after hair transplant. and check out my machine and let me know what you think in regards of the scar? thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone...

I had a FUT surgery on 8/08/2011 for 3400 grafts. Its been exactly 1 month and 2 days now and today was the first day I entered gym after that..

Just did a light 40 minutes cardio..was careful not to bend much and not to take to much of a strain...all the time, I was just concentrating on the sensations in my Donar Area..

Though there was no pain, there was a light sensation in my donar area..may it was just in my head...not sure..

According to the clinic where I had my HT, I can do exercises 15 days after my HT, but still, wanted a confirmation from knowledgeable people on this forum that am I right to start light cardio today or should I wait for some more time??

When can I start light weight training and floor exercises likes abs, crunches???

I am not an athlete or body builder...just do regular cardio and weight training to stay fit...had started gymming only 1 year before and `m afraid that whatever weight I have lost in one year...i might regain it, if I dont continue exercising....that was the reason I went to the gym today after 5 weeks of my HT.

What do you guys suggest?

You should be fine. Just don't do anything too heavy that would pull on your scar for a while.

Thanks...I just did light walking on treadmill...10 minutes of cross trainer and another 10 minutes of cycling and stretches...have decided to follow only this for few days and then increase gradually...no weight for atleast another 15 days now..

What I am concerned about is, I am doing this cardio only because I feel that it wont harm 1 month after surgery...if you guys advice to give more days...then I will follow that way...as I dont want to take risk unnecessarily

Thanks a lot for your reply...