3,826 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel in Portland, OR

I had my surgery with Dr. Gabel last week. I had 3,826 grafts transplanted and I’m very pleased with my experience so far.

I came in the morning of my procedure and Dr. Gabel spent time with me drawing out my hairline and reviewing the plan for my surgery. I appreciated that Dr. Gabel really listened to what I wanted. There was some pain from the numbing injections but other than that the day was virtually pain free. I couldn’t tell for sure when Dr. Gabel began taking my strip and I was surprised when he told me that the strip had been removed and my donor area sown shut.

It was a long day but the staff and Dr. Gabel were all very nice and personable. Dr. Gabel was there placing my grafts and overseeing everything throughout the whole day. I did not realize before my surgery, but not all doctors place grafts. It was reassuring that the doctor was present and involved in the whole procedure. I had several breaks to get up and stretch and had a lunch break around noon. I watched a movie and listened to music in the afternoon. Overall it was a pleasant day and everything seemed to flow very well.

The night of my surgery the donor area hurt as I was told it would. A tip I can share is don’t try to tough it out. Take the pain medication as soon as you start to feel pain or before, because it takes awhile to kick in. The pain was not horrible but it certainly is uncomfortable and it has been hard to sleep the last few days but it gets better day-by-day.

I went back to Dr. Gabel’s office the next morning and had my hair washed. They said everything looked good. I have my appointment to have my stitches taken out next week. Below is a photograph of all the grafts in place after my surgery.

Dr. Gabel was there placing my grafts and overseeing everything throughout the whole day. I did not realize before my surgery, but not all doctors place grafts. It was reassuring that the doctor was present and involved in the whole procedure.

This is very true! Very very few doctors place grafts. He mostly excises the strip and makes incisions because it's law that a doctor has to do any cutting on a body. The rest of the time the doctor checks in on the patient and techs while doing consults.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

snydez99,

Congratulations. Dr. Gabel regularly posts very impressive results. I'm sure yours will be a home run too! I hope you will continue to update us on your progress.

Happy growing!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 1 month later...

It has been 4 weeks since my procedure. I thought I would give you all an update. My scabs are gone, but lately, my scalp has been feeling dry and slightly itchy, however I'm resisting the urge to itch. I still have about one half to one third of the hair and it's still standing up straight. I noticed a slight pimple today, so I’m looking forward to seeing new growth! No bleeding what so ever!