Regaine after a transplant.

Hello all, 18 months ago I had a transplant into my crown, alledgedly 2000 grafts. The hair has grown and now looks like as though im thinning in that area rather than completly bald, however I have never been totally happy with the result and of course my surgeon said he would do another one but alas I cannot afford that in this day and age. Anyhow, after seeing an advert on tv about the new Regaine Foam I decided to give that a go, however after recieving it today and checking the websites FAQ's, it states as no study's have been done on anybody who has had a transplant they dont recommend using it. So besides from wasting my money, does anybody have any experience of using Regaine after a transplant or any other different products that work. I would be interested to see what i could do to try and boost what has now grown but without of course having to spend thousands to get it.

Lee

I'm no expert but the hair that was transplanted is healthy hair from the donor site so I don't think that would be affected but the native hair, if any that was left at your crown will more than likely shed after 3 to 4 months but then healthy hair will start to grow a new cycle.

pavlov,

The problem with the crown area (post-terior) is that the surface area is large demanding lots of donor hair. From your words, it sounds like it still appears thinner than you want to see it. But to provide coverage even at 50% of original density will demand lots of grafts.

Were you completely bald in the crown before surgery? How much of the existing crown is natural thinning hair that is not transplanted? If it is less than 25%, minoxidil may not do much to make a visual difference. IMHO, minoxidil increases hair shaft diameter so it can potentially improve the "appearance of coverage" in hair that is losing caliber.

But if your crown is more than 25% natural non-transplant hair, than I think the minoxodil can improve the appearance of coverage.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thankyou for the replies,

In answer I would have to say yes that most of my crown was completly bald, rather than thinning, where as now it has the appearance of thinning, so I guess that the Regaine is not going to help me out other than maybe making the transplanted hair looka bit fatter. Im guessing there is other less expensive products that could do that then.

Would oral minoxidil make a difference?

wow please never take oral minoxidil it has very bad side effects please google it and you will see

I've been on oral minoxidil for 8 months now with no side effects and very positive results. Even Dr. Pathomvanich will prescribe it in certain cases.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

rcwest, can you be more specific about your positive results with oral minox? Thanks!

I've had thickening throughout without any side effects. I needed a blood pressure medication anyways as I have struggled with hypertension for the better part of ten years. Since most of the blood pressure meds out there have hair loss as a side effect and I stated this concern to my doctor, he was fine with prescribing minoxidil.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D