Shaved Head or Hair Transplant?

Once you decide to get an HT, shaving your head, or even a buzz cut is out of the question, unless you want to reveal your long strip scar (if you do FUT method).

I've been debating whether or not to just get a buzz cut to hide my thinning hair, or to get a ht to make my thinning hair denser so I don't need to hide it. Is there anyone else wrestling with this choice?

For me, I like my curly hair, and think I want to get a HT, but at the same time, I know once I make this decision, short haircuts and buzz cuts will never again be an option. My brother has a 3mm haircut with a goatee and it works for him. I know I could never do that after an HT surgery.

I've never even tried a skinhead or buzz cut, so I'm a bit curious how it would look. Perhaps I should get a buzz cut and try it for a few months to see how it looks. Of course, this would mean I would have to postpone my HT for 6 months or a year.

What do you think?

Anyone else with this same concern?

You like you are at a crossroads and you can either shave or get a HT. I WISH I could shave my head but bad work and a horrible scar will never allow me to do that.

This is actually one of those choices that will effect the rest of your life so there is no hurry.

I would 100% recommend shaving your head for at least a year and at that time if you are not happy then go for the HT and try propecia, rogaine and Nizoral. Who knows maybe some hair will come back. There are definitely no rules for hair loss and everyone if different.

I do not know if you are married or not but once you are married your wife could careless if you have a shaved head so if you do a HT do it for yourself.

HT #1 Unknown Butcher (1998)

Total about 1500

-------------------------------------------------------------

HT #2 Dr. Alexander (2011)

687 - Singles

1672 - Doubles

10 - Multis

Total 2369

Rogaine Foam

Nizoral

Proscar

garet

I second that. You can't go back once you have had the HT so see how you like your hair buzzed or shaved. You can always grow it back out and you can still have the HT when you're sure it's the right choice.

Frank

3 HT’s with Dr. Steven Gabel

2004- 2,855 grafts

2007- 2,789 grafts

2010- 2,010 grafts

View my hair restoration site

I agree. Postponing your decision won't hurt a thing. Possibly start by buzzing your scalp and then experiment different lengths. Some guys are happy with a number 3 guide and can still hide the scar.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Simple question, simple answer.

(I came across this web surfing in a 'what if?' moment. )

Q: Should I shave my head? What will I look like with a bald head?

A: If you're a guy, and don't have any huge scars, yes - go for it!

If you're still not sure, ask your barber/hair stylist.

(://mitchross.com/blog/index.php?itemid=230)

It was just an everyday question from a random poster to an everyday kinda blogger with no hair transplant knowledge and I think it represents the best possible starting and finishing point for all those beginning their navigation through the HT world. NEVER LOSE SIGHT of it!

Male Pattern Baldness = MPB

Hair loss medication (Success/Side Effects over time) = M

Hair Transplant Results themselves over the long term = LT (The HT itself is solid but the surrounding hair changes)

Prognosis for Hair Multiplication in next ten years = HM

MPB + M + LT + HM = Uncertainty

So...never leave the option to buzz or shave behind, UNLESS...

you don't mind a thinning crown and horseshoe. (and if u r here, I guess u do, at least now)

Edited by scar5
Forgot to include URL for my quote and clarify my LT point

garet,

I also recommend shaving/buzzing first if you've done tried it. If you like it, this' the cheapest and simplest solution to thinning hair.

As you yourself have pointed out, there is no going back after follicular unit transplantation (FUT).

Give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

garet,

I also recommend shaving/buzzing first if you've done tried it. If you like it, this' the cheapest and simplest solution to thinning hair.

As you yourself have pointed out, there is no going back after follicular unit transplantation (FUT).

Give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

I guess this is what I'll have to do: try a buzz cut or skin head. I've never really had the urge to do it before, but I should try it at least once, as that option is eliminated after getting a HT using the FUT method.

How short could one cut their hair after a HT using FUE method?

So...never leave the option to buzz or shave behind, UNLESS...

you don't mind a thinning crown and horseshoe. (and if u r here, I guess u do, at least now)

I think what you mean is "never leave the option of a buzz or shave behind, unless I DO mind a thinning crown and horseshoe, right?

I agree. Postponing your decision won't hurt a thing. Possibly start by buzzing your scalp and then experiment different lengths. Some guys are happy with a number 3 guide and can still hide the scar.

Can you please tell me what a "number 3 guide" is? I don't know what cutting length a guide 3, 4, 5, etc. represents.

Is it 3 mm? 3 cm? 3 in? Also, will a number 3 guide on a Panasonic razor purchased in Asia be the same as a number 3 guide for a Philips razor purchased in Europe?

Thanks

I think what you mean is "never leave the option of a buzz or shave behind, unless I DO mind a thinning crown and horseshoe, right?

Oh my....semantic short-circuit?, overload?

My brain is hurting and definitely damaged ..too many transplants.

Let's see,

1) 'Yes, leave the option behind, if you don't mind the thin crown/horse shoe combo'

2) 'No, DON'T leave the option behind if you DO mind.

..so..

never leave the option behind UNLESS you DON'T mind..

Does that make sense?

Garet, I would definately try shaving first if youre cuirious about it. When I went for my ht and the doc buzzed my hair, I was thinking it doesnt look bad and kind of wished I had tried that first. You dont have to postpone your HT if you try buzzing. You could buz and have a ht the next day if you wanted to.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Garet, I would definately try shaving first if youre cuirious about it. When I went for my ht and the doc buzzed my hair, I was thinking it doesnt look bad and kind of wished I had tried that first. You dont have to postpone your HT if you try buzzing. You could buz and have a ht the next day if you wanted to.

Thanks for the advice, but I couldn't get the HT with a shaved head because the stitches would be visible for weeks, as well as the pink skin in the recipient area. I don't have an option of wearing a hat at my job, so I'd have to grow my hair back before doing the HT.

Garet,

I agree if youre planing to go the strip route that the scar can be an issue with buzzed hair. If you are considering fue at all, you would be surpsrized how quickly things return to normal. I also work in an office and couldn't wear a hat. As far as I know, I pulled it off without anyone knowing. In my case, I tried to leave enough on the top to hide the pinkness. I didnt have much on top to work with though. The donor area in many if not most cases looks fine in a matter of days.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

definitely see how you look bald first. I've read a number of times that people who have gotten HTs wished they had the head shape to go bald so it could be something you regret if you don't try it. With that said, if you go to a good doctor, the scaring will hopefully be minimal. I've seen pictures of people with very short cuts after having a HT and you can barely notice the scar.

I am not sure how the conversions go but go as short with clippers as to not show your scar and if go a little to short it just looks "different" for a weeek and you learn the proper guard.

Total about 1500

687 - Singles

1672 - Doubles

10 - Multis

Total 2369

Rogaine Foam

Nizoral

Proscar

definitely see how you look bald first. I've read a number of times that people who have gotten HTs wished they had the head shape to go bald so it could be something you regret if you don't try it. With that said, if you go to a good doctor, the scaring will hopefully be minimal. I've seen pictures of people with very short cuts after having a HT and you can barely notice the scar.

I'm scheduled to get a hair transplant in 5 weeks. Since I'm having questions about how I would look with a shaved head or buzz cut, I'm thinking of shaving my head this week to see how it looks. If I like it, I can cancel the hair transplant and continue with the finasteride. If I don't like the look, I can carry on with the HT as sceduled.

Is one month enough time for a shaved head or buzz cut to grow out, before a HT? In particular, will one month's hair growth be enough to cover the FUT scar?

Also, perhaps even more importantly, I would start my job teaching 6 weeks after the hair transplant, and 10 weeks after the shaved head. Will that be enough time to hide the fact that I just got a HT?

Edited by garet
spelling mistakes

Garet,

Well I can help you with this one I was a teacher for 6 years.

If I was you I would TOTALLY try to schedule the HT the beginning of summer break and you will be fine by the time school comes back for sure. Kids notice EVERYTHING and it will just take one smart ass to put two and two together and now your the teacher with a HT years!

Whatever you do make sure you either have a good cover story or you can conceal it. Even if you have great classroom management their are always A-wholes.

Total about 1500

687 - Singles

1672 - Doubles

10 - Multis

Total 2369

Rogaine Foam

Nizoral

Proscar

I'm scheduled to get a hair transplant in 5 weeks. Since I'm having questions about how I would look with a shaved head or buzz cut, I'm thinking of shaving my head this week to see how it looks. If I like it, I can cancel the hair transplant and continue with the finasteride. If I don't like the look, I can carry on with the HT as sceduled.

Is one month enough time for a shaved head or buzz cut to grow out, before a HT? In particular, will one month's hair growth be enough to cover the FUT scar?

Also, perhaps even more importantly, I would start my job teaching 6 weeks after the hair transplant, and 10 weeks after the shaved head. Will that be enough time to hide the fact that I just got a HT?

i would try shaving your head before the HT and decide how you look. Even if you shave down to a zero, the average hair growth is 1/2" per month. Given your 10 weeks for regrowth you would be around 1.5" by school tme which is plenty to hide a scar. All that is needed normally is 1/2" to 3/4" to conceal any scarring. Actually this would probably work out perfectly for you.

1. you can see how you look with a shaved head and make a decision

2. you may like the look and cancel the HT which would be cost effective and leave you happy

if you dont like the look

3. go forward with a HT which would be perfect because doctors like working with short hair anyways

4. you will be fully grown out and no visible scare for school time

You are a winner in every scenario. I would really excercize shaving though. HT's are forever and a big commitment. They cost a lot of money and leave you scarred for life.

I would start my job teaching 6 weeks after the hair transplant, and 10 weeks after the shaved head. Will that be enough time to hide the fact that I just got a HT?

Oh my, you sound so much like me, bargaining with the devil, and I know that no amount of talking will stop you from knocking on the the devil's door for more!

OK here comes negativity so don't take it badly..there is good news at the end.

If you shave your head, do you really think one month is enough to coolly and calmly reflect on whether the buzz/shave suits you as you go into the rest of your life? Especially with the clock ticking, the prospect of salvation through an HT, a contract and a clinic waiting for you, and the prospect of a bunch of students checking out your head (and do not discount other teachers! Staff room is just as dicey and education is a hotbed for bullying albeit a more subdued and clever form) I am assuming you are considereing strip here, because if its FUE (and a really good FUE) its a different game physiologically and psychologically. You always can retreat with FUE if its done right. With strip, you are married for life.

If you are like me, when I first shaved my head (and God help you if you are) you will CHANGE your mind about your hair daily. It looks good, it looks crap, It looks OK etc.. you will be on such an emotional roller coaster it you wont know whether you are going up or down it.

Reasons to be positive

You are in a great position. Your scalp has no line across the back of it. In my opinion, one month is not enough to determine whether it is worth throwing that away. In fact it will probably be less than one month unless you wanna cancel a minute before the scalpel goes across the back of you head. If you must do HT now, do FUE and make sure it is a damn good one. Otherwise, buzz the head, take the meds and chill!!