2nd FUE HT with Dr Bisanga

Stingray

Well, my 2nd HT with Dr Bisanga happened this Thursday 3rd February. I got the Eurostar over on Wednesday evening and am heading back today (Friday).

I had a procedure with Dr Bisanga last March. I had 1000 FUE to address my hairline after the poor results that I had with Dr Armani a couple years before.

At the time Dr Bisanga recommended around 1800 or so grafts but I wanted to stick to a more cautious session to assess the results. 11 months later I am very pleased with the growth hence my return to BHR to address the area behind the hairline.

I normally wear my hair reasonably long on top to hide the area behind the hairline. I have recently buzzed down my hair to a grade 5 in preparation for having it all shaved off (so as to draw less attention when I come back with a shaved head). I have attached a couple of pics which shows the area which needs to be addressed and how well the hairline has grown in. Sorry about the quality of pics (taken at night).

We were planning on about 1500 grafts. I will post updates and pics as they happen.

I'm very excited as I think I will be set for several years after this round.... fingers crossed.

th_icon_cool2.gif

I am currently in the Catalina Forum Hotel in Brussels around the corner from the BHR clinic after having a 1599 FUE graft hair transplant with Dr Bisanga. The whole day went swimmingly as follows:

7:30AM - Went to clinic met by Dr Bisanga and his team. Spoke about the plan for the day regarding where Dr B was going to place the grafts and signed some release forms.

8:00 - Photographs and head shaving

8:15 - Shown to operating room. Head disinfected, given oral anti-biotic and a valium under the tongue... feeling good.

8:30 - Nurse/tech begins to inject anesthetic into the back of my head. This is probably the most annoying part of the whole procedure as you have had no prior anesthesia the injections really sting... and there are about 20 of them. Had a quiet word with myself to "man-up" and it was fine.

8:45 - Dr Bisanga begins the extractions from the back of my head moving outwards towards and above my right ear. He does this by using the punch to cut around each follicle. Once Dr B had done about half the grafts the tech then pulls the grafts out of my head using what I presume are tweezers. These are then passed to other techs to be counted and separated into follicle groupings under a microscope.

10:45 - The above process is repeated but starting at the back and moving out towards the other side of my head. Probably takes about an hour and 45 mins.

12:30 - While the grafts are being sorted by the techs my forehead is numbed (again...ouch!) and Dr B made the incisions as to where the follicles are going to go. We have a nice chat and a gossip... talking about everything from the weather in Washington DC to the HT forums to Egypt. He is a very nice guy and doesn't have any of the arrogance that some other doctors in the profession have.

1:00 - Lunch - had a club sandwich and juice. (they didn't offer me a beer! heh)

2:00 - The nurse/techs spent the next few hours implanting each follicle one by one. It is a slow laborious process not made easier by the fact that they were implanting into areas that had previously been implanted. I asked for a mirror to watch them work. It is truly amazing what they do. I think it would take me 10 minutes to get just one follicle into an incision. Dr B came in to check up on progress at regular intervals. When we neared the end he said that he wanted to make an additional 100 extractions as there was one area that wasn't looking dense enough. He checked I was happy with that and I flipped over for a couple more injections and another 100 extractions but after the 1499 I had earlier it was a piece of cake. After Dr B made the additional incisions the tech placed them and cleaned me up.

5:00 - After discussion Dr B said I was a candidate for PRP therapy which involved taking some of my blood and separating it so that there is a higher concentration of platelets and injecting it into my scalp. The hope is that it will stimulate growth in miniaturized hair.... I think. It is something that I had talked about with Phil and Dr B last time I was there.

5:30 - Got post op instructions and meds, paid my bill (no extra for the extra grafts) and walked round the corner to my very decent hotel.

Attached is a pic that I have taken in my hotel room with my laptop so it is pretty crap. Am sure that BHR will email me some pics in a few days.

There is not doubt about it - it is a full day but I am typing this now with a smile on my face hopeful that in not too many months I will have a fuller head of hair.

Any questions please feel free.

SR ;)

attachment.jpg.ac980c0ef6478f1320f263dccf48ec7d.jpg

5b32cc7ceeb6b_Picture13.jpg.9a4e5cd665e5decbcb1cbaa6178cb499.jpg

-----------------------------------------

2425 FUE - Dr Armani - Nov 2007 (poor result)

1000 FUE Procedure with Dr. Bisanga - March 25th 2010 (great result)

1599 FUE Procedure with Dr. Bisanga - Feb 3rd 2011

My Hair Loss Website

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Stingray,

I have followed your previous progress with much delight,

Your recent surgery looks to be quite superb.

Good luck you mate!

Cheers,

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Good luck to you. It seems like you have lost since a little in the past year. Are you taking fin or minox? Thanks again for the update.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Good luck to you. It seems like you have lost since a little in the past year. Are you taking fin or minox? Thanks again for the update.

I take proscar but have not been as regular about taking it as I should be. Dr Bisanga pointed out some of my miniaturized hair which has spurred me to be better about taking it daily.

I use minox once a day but sometime forget to use that too. :o

My Hair Loss Website

Really interesting case. The first of its kind that I have seen on the forums. I mean, I hear people talking about it all the time, but I have never actually seen it.

From your pics it looks like your first and second HT restored your hairline, but then you continued to lose more hair in the temporal region. Is this what happened? There is a definite gap between your hairline and your frontal third.

Also, were any of your previous HTs less than optimal?

Good luck man. I'm sure it will come out well.

corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

i don't think he has lost more hair after 2nd transplant. i have followed his case and i understand that:

1. he had surgery with armani (2425 FUE) and it didn't turn out well
  2. he had 1st surgery with bisanga 1000 grafts (gaps what you see on the pics were the areas where bisanga didn't transplant any hair. bisanga suggested him to have 1800 grafts but stingray was conservative (reason 1st ht didn't turn out well) and tried 1st 1000 grafts)
  3. his first ht turned out very well with bisanga and now he had 2nd surgery with him again (800 grafts?) to fill those gaps.

is this correct?

hopefully it gives some lights to the other followers

i don't think he has lost more hair after 2nd transplant. i have followed his case and i understand that:

1. he had surgery with armani (2425 FUE) and it didn't turn out well

2. he had 1st surgery with bisanga 1000 grafts (gaps what you see on the pics were the areas where bisanga didn't transplant any hair. bisanga suggested him to have 1800 grafts but stingray was conservative (reason 1st ht didn't turn out well) and tried 1st 1000 grafts)

3. his first ht turned out very well with bisanga and now he had 2nd surgery with him again (800 grafts?) to fill those gaps.

is this correct?

hopefully it gives some lights to the other followers

Krapok

You are correct. The only difference being that I had an extra 800 grafts in my second procedure with Dr Bisanga - so 1599 grafts during my second procedure.

SR

My Hair Loss Website

DAY 6 PICS

No probs. Healing well. Very little swelling. Will be sorry to see the new hairs fall out but thems the breaks...

5b32cc8743f7d_Picture6.jpg.956888819f8530503f2e9117a3c3ccc5.jpg

My Hair Loss Website

Hey Stingray!

Hope the healing/growing is going well!

How are the scabs etc? I guess by now they would be gone...or close to it?

I am following your progress with much enthusiasm.

Cheers,

Edited by MusoInOz

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Hey muso

The scabs were all gone by about day 10. I'm currently on day 19. The new hairs are falling out now. I would say about 75% of them are gone and I expect the rest to go over the next few days. Healing has gone well. Very little redness. Can't wait for my existing hair to grow out and for the new hairs to grow in.

SR

My Hair Loss Website

Great to hear mate!

I eagerly await your next photo update :-)

Heal and grow well my friend!

Cheers,

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

• 2 weeks later...

Here is me a couple days away from being 1 month post op. Pretty much where I was pre-op. Had much less redness this time around. Perhaps it is from the PRP, perhaps it is just less noticeable because it is behind the hairline.

Well... just have to wait now... :cool:

DSC_0008.jpg.cb98bbae3d7b4db4621c205ce89be5ff.jpg

My Hair Loss Website

Had much less redness this time around. Perhaps it is from the PRP

Did Dr Bisanga give you platelet rich plasma (PRP) for wound healing or to increase transplant graft survival?

Dr Bisanga said the PRP might help some of the miniaturized hair that I had. He made it clear that it was not guaranteed to do so and there was no charge for it.

I happened to have much less redness this time round. Perhaps it was because of the the PRP... perhaps not.

My Hair Loss Website

Stingray,

What is it that prp might do for the minaturized hair? Turn in into normal hair? I just booked HT#2 with Dr B and am curious about this.

Yes, I believe that is the idea but best to ask the doc himself.

My Hair Loss Website

• 1 month later...

I am 3 months out of HT 2 and things are starting to happen. It is all very exciting. I am noticing lots of new hairs in the gap. I am delighted for only 3 months and can't wait to watch as things improve.

942342840dceac976f988137521e079fb5743413b5bb05d3d37d016fcef55964e9688b62.jpg

180926556e41b4ca86c674d51bbf5ad5797b3173a1da656cfdd4f44cfdbf6a7103809e3d.jpg

280564677b8af4b683992bbf3535d1df32210bfc15b9e3fd53675b25ef754e3a72b33542.jpg

5877365760343e35ddcbef8aacd7a497e556ead2c12afa138040c0040eb0a8fb8dc82389.jpg

480211800419ab48b38c400d2565e26acf3e1e67013f8c69750888b5e9b202476cb16070.jpg

This last one is an uncomplimentary shot with my hair brushed back to show the gaps that I am trying to fill in. I can tell a big difference already and am confident that in the coming months it will fill in nicely.

03539366b78425d30bbedf7e8c9ad9fdab8568a80779ca94d5c7ee1f687434b610469689.jpg

My Hair Loss Website

Stingray,

Congratulations! Only three months out and you are already beginning the transformation. I can't wait to see what's in store for you at six months!

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website