Dr. Walter Unger?

LSorvats

I am scheduled to have surgury with Dr. Walter Unger but to be honest I haven't read many good posts about him, although most of them were from a long time ago. Does anyone here have any updated opinions on him and his work, and do you recommend I reschedule with another doctor? Thanks in advance for your help...

I did a quick search for him on here and did not see anything bad, but nothing impressive either. Someone in a post said that they weren't thrilled with the before and after photographs they were shown at the consult appointment. Did you have a consultation with him? What was your impression of him?

Frank

3 HT’s with Dr. Steven Gabel

2004- 2,855 grafts

2007- 2,789 grafts

2010- 2,010 grafts

View my hair restoration site

I would never schedule a surgery with a doctor that didn't have high visibility or was not recommended on these forums. Can you get a good result from this doctor? Possibly. But why go into a surgery that will likely cost you $10k and use limited donor hair without being 100% certain you had the right doc for the job? Trust me, even with the best docs it's easy to feel regret post-op, and you will have 12 months of wondering how the result will look. If you have your heart set on this doc then make sure you do more research and see as many patients in person as possible.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

LSorvats,

I have no knowledge or experience with Dr. Unger. For all I know, he may do fantastic work. However, being that there seems to be very little positive or negative feedback available, why risk your precious grafts by throwing caution to the wind?

I'm sure you must be aware that we maintain a list of prescreened quality hair restoration physicians and you can even schedule a free online consultation with as many an you please.

Before taking a leap of faith, I recommend you do exhaustive research. You only get one shot at a first hair transplant and it's not difficult to find guys who regret making a costly mistake the first time around.

If you have any questions about how to research or contact our physicians, just send me a PM.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I did a quick search for him on here and did not see anything bad, but nothing impressive either. Someone in a post said that they weren't thrilled with the before and after photographs they were shown at the consult appointment. Did you have a consultation with him? What was your impression of him?

Well it all started when I consoluted 2 dermatologists in NY and they both immediately said that Dr. Unger was the best in the industry, pioneered the methods used, wrote books about it etc...

So I went for a consultation and my impression was good. Although he is the only one I met with so I have no point of comparison. The before and after photos were pretty good...

The weird part is during the whole "pitch" he told me how he had done 30,000 operations in his life, how he has never failed a single one and how I should go home and look him up on the internet as there are so many positive reviews. Well from all my searching, this site is the best source of information and there is very very little about him here.

I would never schedule a surgery with a doctor that didn't have high visibility or was not recommended on these forums. Can you get a good result from this doctor? Possibly. But why go into a surgery that will likely cost you $10k and use limited donor hair without being 100% certain you had the right doc for the job? Trust me, even with the best docs it's easy to feel regret post-op, and you will have 12 months of wondering how the result will look. If you have your heart set on this doc then make sure you do more research and see as many patients in person as possible.

Thanks very much for the advice. I am totally torn now and will definitely do more research. I am very happy I have found this site as i was sure that I had found the best in the industry by the way he was described. (see my above reply). Thanks again...

LSorvats,

I have no knowledge or experience with Dr. Unger. For all I know, he may do fantastic work. However, being that there seems to be very little positive or negative feedback available, why risk your precious grafts by throwing caution to the wind?

I'm sure you must be aware that we maintain a list of prescreened quality hair restoration physicians and you can even schedule a free online consultation with as many an you please.

Before taking a leap of faith, I recommend you do exhaustive research. You only get one shot at a first hair transplant and it's not difficult to find guys who regret making a costly mistake the first time around.

If you have any questions about how to research or contact our physicians, just send me a PM.

All the best,

Thank you very much for all the info above. I need to do some more research and I will defintley take you up on your offer and contact you with more questions.

LSorvats,

I've had 2 procedures with Dr. Unger's associate Dr. Marla Rosenberg. I visited other well known clinics in the T.O. area and I had one previous transplant with Bosley (dissapointing). I can assure you that based on my experience with Dr. Rosenberg, their office is one of the best in Toronto. Their techniques, staff and equipment is all leading edge. Isn't Dr. Rosenberg recommended on this site? Dr. Unger is not an unknown in this industry.

Just had a look at this doctor's web site and the work looks good. He has some nice examples of repair work on his site too. You should continue to research though and see some HT patients in person.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

DD,

After visiting a few other clinics in T.O. (including one infamous one), I visited Dr. Shapiro on Yorkville Avenue.

Dr Shapiro is an associate of Dr. Unger and i think she's been doing doing transplants for approximately 10 - 12 years?

I liked the fact that I was talking to a doctor, not a salesman. She was very attentive and in our first consultation she drew a hairline on my scalp that was reasonable and achieveable. I felt confident in her abilities and she admitted that her site needs to be redone and her pics on the site do not reflect the true quality of her work.

I had previously done a transplant with Bosley in Toronto back in '97. 300 grafts fro my receding hairline and ultimately I was dissapointed in the result that I achieved.

I did 2,070 (FUT) with Dr. Rosenberg in September 2009 and just recently 1,200 (FUT) this month for further hairline refinement.

I started out as a Norwood 3 and Dr. Rosenberg concentrated the majority of my grafts in the forelock area (which I fought because I wanted it all in the hairline) but the results were very good. She also fixed the scar form the previous Bosley procedure and it healed very well.

Long post I know but I'm at work but I have some pics at home that I will post later tonight.

All in all I visited 4-5 clinics (not including Dr. Cam Simmons - although judging by pics his work is excellent), and I found Dr. Rosenberg and her staff to be very exceptional.

It's been 8 days since my "touch up" procedure and things are healing well as I'm already back at work and know one has noticed.

I also know their clinic has a solid reputation and they've done quite a few well known people in various media, entertainment circles etc.

Post pics later.

MCG

DD/LSorvats

Attached are 2 pics of my 1200 FUT procedure done last week. I have a pretty big head lol but I think this provided enough coverage to shore up my hairline and meet my goals. As I mentioned, healing nicely with no complications thus far.

Any comments are welcome.

MCG

FRE.jpg.9772e8a5193da477c2d1e06739f889d5.jpg

FrL.jpg.2f00a77d5553d3160022314899938152.jpg

MCG,

Congratulations! It looks like your new hairline is going to be quite an improvement. Please continue to update us on your progress.

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

You guys keep mentioning associates of dr. Unger in the t.o. area but it sounds like he is looking for a doc in new York.

TakingThe Plunge,

Thanks for the encouragement. Like I said, I have a fairly large area to cover so one procedure was not quite enough, even though I think I was only a Norwood 3?

Even so, HT in general have come so far since I had my first in '97. Now I look at it like fixing your teeth; there generally is no great unknown regarding the final result although the quality of the surgeons and clinics still vary. I'm also keeping up a long time commitment to Propecia, 5% Minoxidil and supplements such as MSM, Biotin & Selenium.

I'm hoping this procedure will finally help me accomplish my hair regrowth goals.

MCG

DD/LSorvats

Attached are 2 pics of my 1200 FUT procedure done last week. I have a pretty big head lol but I think this provided enough coverage to shore up my hairline and meet my goals. As I mentioned, healing nicely with no complications thus far.

Any comments are welcome.

MCG

Dear MCG.

Thanks very much for your post. The work in the photo looks to be absolutely first class, and I am sure you'll be very happy with the results. Out of interest how long after the surgery were those photos taken? Also, would you say its a fair conclusion that all associates from Unger's office are capable of producing the same high quality of work?

Thanks again, L. Sorvats.

You guys keep mentioning associates of dr. Unger in the t.o. area but it sounds like he is looking for a doc in new York.

Actually hairthere, Unger operates out of TO and NY and goes from one to the other frequently, so that why there is confusion between the two places. Personally I am happy to go anywhere to get this done, as I think one should not be geographically restricted and expect top results.

Well it all started when I consoluted 2 dermatologists in NY and they both immediately said that Dr. Unger was the best in the industry, pioneered the methods used, wrote books about it etc...

I wouldnt worry what people in different fields have to say. Many dermatologist send there patients to big chains like Bolsey telling their patients how great they are. No offence to Dr. Unger I dont know much about him.

With no offence to the doctor mentioned. I would look at Dr. Rahal in the Ottawa area and Dr. Feller in the New York area. These two doctor are amongst the top 5 doctors in the world in my opinion.

Good luck

Edited by lorenzo

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

LSorvats,

Thanks for the positive response. Those pics were taken the DAY of the procedure, sometime late in the afternoon. Approximately 2-3 hours after everyhting was finished I think.

My bandage came off when I was sleeping (no lol), that night as I ignored instructions and did not take a sleeping pill (restless sleeper). Luckily no grafts were dislodged.

MCG

LSorvats,

Just noticed the second part of your query.

I've only met and dealt with Dr. Rosenberg. I've never met Unger or any of his other associates so I can only speak to the skills of Dr. Rosenberg and the quality of her support staff and clinic. I found all these to be top notch.

I hope this is helpful.

MCG

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to update my HT progess.

I had my last 2 procedures with Dr. Marla Rosenberg (associate of Dr. Unger) and I'm at the approximately 8th month stage.

First pic is 3 years ago at about a Norwood 3. I've had two procedures (2,075 & 1,200 FUT) since.

I had my 1st transplant (330 grafts?) approximately 14 years ago with Bosley clinic. Big improvements in hair transplant procedures since then.

Second picture is seven months from my first procedure with Dr. Rosenberg (2,075 FUT) and last 3 pics are from August/September 2011 (8 months after second surgery with Rosenberg - 1,200 FUT for hairline), so I still have about 4+ months of maturity and growth I think.

Any comments or questions would be welcome.

MCG

First.jpg.11dd150896f30bad872eadc8540b892d.jpg

2nd.jpg.e0bfcf4912f55015c1dacd53b2588d13.jpg

3rd.jpg.3707f61940f8e7caf1858bf4b8890917.jpg

4th.jpg.03dd570898a2fbd81ed1f4d55d2d2085.jpg

5th.jpg.7e988befc9595b41e68832cd35e4750a.jpg

This is a major improvement MCG! Dr. Rosenberg does really good work.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Hi RC,

Thanks for the encouraging words! I should also add that sometime in the last 10 years I also added a regimen of Propecia, 5% Minoxidil, Nizoral 2%, Biotin & MSM.

I think that the addition of meds, supps and advanced hair transplant procedures have reversed my hairloss. I acutually have a better hairline and overall hair now then in my early twenties. This is very rewarding for me as I was teased by an uncle about going bald ever since I was 17/18... :-(

We are very fortunate to have these options and treatments available to us nowadays.

And yes, Dr Rosenberg does really great work! Very underrated on these boards/forums in my opinion. She has told me in the past that she has to get better at posting pics that are more reflective of the quality of her work.

MCG

holysmokes7,

I think you may have been quoting me and not Lorenzo.Of course, you are correct about Dr. Unger. His name is synonymous with hair transplant surgery and his book is the definitive text on hair restoration surgery.

When I wrote that post I'd only heard his name a few times and didn't make the connection. This is primarily because in the years that I've been active in the hair restoration community, I cannot recall once seeing a patient post results of his work, state that they'd had work done by him or even mention having consulted with him. I have mostly seen his name in bibliographies referencing his text.

So, I'll own up to the ignorant comment.