Did you ever think about how your HT would be if you had gotten a solid HT right from the beginning?

I've been reading these post for a while and I noticed there are several types of people on this site with a wide range of experiences.

You have some people that have had 2-3 bad hair-transplants and ended up going to a respectable HT surgeon and getting it all repaired.

I am simply using the above as an example.

My question/topic of this discussion is simply to ask the question "What do you think your hair would look like if you didnt have 2-3 botched jobs and got a solid 2-3 HT's from a respectable doctor"?

I personally have not had a HT, but expectations are extremely high simply because first off it would be my first HT and secondly, I would be getting the "gold-standard" of HT's

What I'm imagining is the folks that have received a HT from a Coalition doctor from the very very beginning would be in WONDERFUL shape for the years to come...

I'd like to see everyone here that had gotten a solid HT 15-20 years from now and get their opinion on if the HT was 'worth it'

I've been reading these post for a while and I noticed there are several types of people on this site with a wide range of experiences.

You have some people that have had 2-3 bad hair-transplants and ended up going to a respectable HT surgeon and getting it all repaired.

My question/topic of this discussion is simply to ask the question "What do you think your hair would look like if you didnt have 2-3 botched jobs and got a solid 2-3 HT's from a respectable doctor"?

I personally have not had a HT, but expectations are extremely high simply because first off it would be my first HT and secondly, I would be getting the "gold-standard" of HT's

What I'm imagining is the folks that have received a HT from a Coalition doctor from the very very beginning would be in WONDERFUL shape for the years to come...

I'd like to see everyone here that had gotten a solid HT 15-20 years from now and get their opinion on if the HT was 'worth it'

Originally posted by azn_guy_001:

I got a "solid" transplant from a top-5 coalition doc. 4500 grafts.

The biggest problem is/was that many docs cant move enough hair to make a big improvement.

Docs now can move 4000-7000 grafts in a mega session. This means that NW4-6 guys can have a considerable transformation, and lower norwoods can make it look like they did not lose any hair.

With my 4500 I am not completely happy and will probably have to return. Its a numbers game.

Yes I agree it's a dynamic process. But considering people like Bill and jotronic, both had to get "repair" work, I would like to know how much better their hair would be if they didn't have to do repair work, and had gotten good work from the beginning.

I really don't see anything revolutionary in the next 10-15 years, I mean there is PRP, FUE, Cloning, but most of those cannot even match the success rate of FUT.

First - I don't believe Bill had a repair job, second, almost every HT clinic showcase subject had multiple procedures.

Finally, think of it like building a stone wall. Sometimes you put the biggest stone on the bottom, sometimes in the middle, sometimes on top. In the end, it is the number of procedures IMO, unless you have a totally incompetent doc, which to be honest is RARE.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

good point about the "number of procedures" I completely agree..time is against us when it comes to MPB. Eventually (worst-case) we all will be NW7's...

ps: I'm probably wrong about Bill, for some reason I remember him mentioning he had a botched job (maybe his first?) Sorry, too many profiles and web-blogs, you lose track eventually icon_smile.gif

Your analogy regarding a stone wall, I think a tad differently (please correct me if i'm off), if you build the bottom correctly, you wont have to touch it again (1st ht), then you work in the middle (possibly 2nd ht), and if possible, you go try to fix the top (3rd ht).

So using your analogy, if you mess up the base (1st ht), you'll end up having to fix the base again (2nd ht) using up all the material, notice this example you can't fix the top of the house because all the materials are used up.

Since my name was mentioned, I thought I'd clarify. I'm not a repair case. I consider all my hair transplants successful however, I started with smaller sessions and progressively got larger sessions as I went on. Had I known yesterday what I know today, having had been a candidate for a larger megasession, I would have went for 2 large procedures rather than incremental procedures. But all's well that ends well (although technically I'm still in the middle of waiting for growth from my fourth hair transplant).

To the original point, it's impossible to know what someone's hair would have looked like in the event they didn't need to have old or poor work repaired.

But the good news is, there are options out there for people, but people do need to learn realistic expectations.

Best wishes,

Bill

Had I known yesterday what I know today, having had been a candidate for a larger megasession, I would have went for 2 large procedures rather than incremental procedures.

That is some information I find useful icon_smile.gif Considering Megasessions are pretty common, I could forsee myself getting 2 sessions and being happy for a very long time.

It's like pulling wisdom teeth out, just take all 4 out and be done with it....

If it was only so easy! Seldom does everything go as planned in HT; I suggest do #1 and go from there...you never know, perhaps there may be some new treatments by the time you are ready for #2.

It may sound silly, but mental toughness is important in HT - the first 6 months can be a huge deterrent from going thru the process again.

Originally posted by azn_guy_001:

That is some information I find useful icon_smile.gif Considering Megasessions are pretty common, I could forsee myself getting 2 sessions and being happy for a very long time.

It's like pulling wisdom teeth out, just take all 4 out and be done with it....

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

If it was only so easy! Seldom does everything go as planned in HT; I suggest do #1 and go from there...you never know, perhaps there may be some new treatments by the time you are ready for #2.

It may sound silly, but mental toughness is important in HT - the first 6 months can be a huge deterrent from going thru the process again.

I pretty much agree that things may well not go as planned and it can be a tough emotional journey which could last well beyond 6 months. One thing to bear in mind though is if you go for strip (and FUE to a much lesser extent) it is a one way journey. Even if you regret doing it you may still have to go for HT2 to keep up with future hair loss. It's easy to be confident you're going to get a great result beforehand but look around this site plenty of guys are less than happy with their results and that doesn't mean that none of them went to "top" docs.

a one way journey

It's amazing that with HT's it IS a one way journey.

When you think about what women do with Breast Augmentation and Liposuction, at least there is still a way to get out of it.

With HT's its a commitment forever. And with Propecia which loses its effectiveness, I wonder what we ALL will look like in 30 years.

It's great we have this site, but there is "something" missing from here, I think its mainly due to the overall satisfaction of a "fix it" mentality.

Unlike just having surgery on a broken bone, where it's a one and done deal, it'll never be like that with HT's. Each one of us that has had a HT will always have to think of it for the rest of your lives

on the bright side: Hairtransplantnetwork will always have a lot of veteran posters, hehe