Scientists grow hair follicles in vitro

ulko

Cure for baldness on the horizon as scientists grow world's first hair follicle using stem cells | Mail Online

As always, the cure is 5 years away ;)

To be honest, I really do believe more in the lab route than what Aderans are doing with injections. I just can't see how growth direction can be controlled sufficiently with Aderan's approach.

It's great also to have some folks supposedly from academia working on HM and not only from the private sector. Maybe we can hope for some more transparency this way.

I strongly believe there will be an ultimate solution to balding by stem cells, cloning etc. but the question is when???? :confused:

Medical science has found ultimate solutions for many serious disease..

I just cant understand how hard it could be to cure baldness ?? :mad:

I strongly believe there will be an ultimate solution to balding by stem cells, cloning etc. but the question is when???? :confused:

Medical science has found ultimate solutions for many serious disease..

I just cant understand how hard it could be to cure baldness ?? :mad:

The problem isnt growing hair... the problem is growing hair that matches our normal hairs appearance and can survive the growth cycle. other parts of our body dont constantly grow and die off...

First transplant with karamikian 6/05, less than 1000 to my hairline, result was mediocre at best.

2nd HT with Feller 2/08, 3000+ to my front third.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd place my bet on this approach becoming the soonest available alternative to current treatment and methods.

We are, after all, mammals with a close relation biologically to rodents; so it stands to reason that if they have successfully grown new follicles from rodent stem cells then it will work the same for humans.

Of course, the hair may be thinner but then it could still be used in largr quantities than normal for filler.

MPB is now being attacked from all different angles and my view is that something somwhere has gotta give. Whether it's figuring out a way to get the progenitor cells working again in dormant stem cells, with injections, or with cloning follicles in a lab for transplant -- I am convinced it WILL happen and likely within 5-7 years from today.

When it does it will be a most heavenly moment to quit finasteride use!

I agree that there seems to be quite a few interesting and valid approaches in development at the moment. What concerns me is the cost. For example, if they do find a way to clone hairs for transplantation, that means there will more than likely be a wildly expensive addition to the already high cost of hair transplantation. If such a procedure comes to fruition in the next five years, how long will it take for the cost to come down to the point that most of us can afford it?

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I agree that there seems to be quite a few interesting and valid approaches in development at the moment. What concerns me is the cost. For example, if they do find a way to clone hairs for transplantation, that means there will more than likely be a wildly expensive addition to the already high cost of hair transplantation. If such a procedure comes to fruition in the next five years, how long will it take for the cost to come down to the point that most of us can afford it?

I personally think that the costs won?t be sky high. Costs sure will be high, but affordable for the most of the population. That is how a good business is being made, making your product highly wanted at the market and affordable for almost anyone. Ford would not be a Ford if he charged his cars like Mercedes and the rest did theirs. Sure, later on, when India, China, Turkey, Egypt, S. Korea etc. start their own business, costs will naturally go down even more.

Edited by Pale_Rider

I personally think that the costs won?t be sky high. Costs sure will be high, but affordable for the most of the population. That is how a good business is being made, making your product highly wanted at the market and affordable for almost anyone. Ford would not be a Ford if he charged his cars like Mercedes and the rest did theirs. Sure, later on, when India, China, Turkey, Egypt, S. Korea etc. start their own business, costs will naturally go down even more.

Making a scientific process like this scalable will take quite some time, especially if you consider demand. Will there be enough demand for this surgery? Not like consumer goods.

What concerns me is the cost. For example, if they do find a way to clone hairs for transplantation, that means there will more than likely be a wildly expensive addition to the already high cost of hair transplantation.

Possibly, but certainly "available but very expensive" is a much better situation than "not available at all." And the first step to affordability is necessarily availability.

I agree that cost could be a big issue during the beginning phases of cellular based hair restoration therapies. Like all advances though, it will likely become more streamlined, refined, accessible, and available with time.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Making a scientific process like this scalable will take quite some time, especially if you consider demand. Will there be enough demand for this surgery? Not like consumer goods.

Today, nothing makes a long time, when we are talking about market competition. When you make a lucrative product, a competition gets you fast. So someone can charge their product all they want, but when the competition goes with a more affordable approach, that 1st one will be out of business. Making an affordable approach is the key to victory in my opinion, a greed never works in long terms.

Edited by Pale_Rider

Ya the cost worries me a little,,,and im pretty sure the company that comes out with a cure knows MOST would pay anything to have hair back...

I believe that some time in the future baldness will be even fashionable. Man is a strange "plant". :D

• 1 month later...

My hopes and dreams rely on the cloning business going ahead... for the last 15 years or so.

the way it is going, I'll be long gone before it is available. And then, of course, it will be proven to be absolutely useless..

Sapo,

In my opinion, it's best to remain "cautiously optimistic" toward future treatments, but to also utilize proven methods in the time being. Are you using any sort of restorative therapy now?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Looks like all these attractive technologies will be available only after I become too old to have any interest in hair.

I agree.The only thing is,I think I'm nearly there.I shave my head most days,unless I'm not going anywhere.

I think I look good,the only thing thats annoying is the hair shadow on my head.

Is there a way of removing all the hair what is left,then I could really put hair to rest.

I've been following Hair Multiplication/Cloning for 4-5 years now,and I do not think anyone is any closer than they was 4-5 years ago.

Hair transplant scare me,as I do not want to chase hair forever.

unfortunately, the 'proven therapies' did not work on me.. I had an ill-advised shot at hair transplant in 07, not a very good decision... but better days will come, as I'm saving until I can afford a top surgeon, nothing less than that.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The existing HT procedures aren't at all scalable either though.

How much more work can it be for someone to grow hair in a test tube than it is to individually cut out the grafts as they do in FUE?

I think the costs will be higher than traditional HT simply because the patients would be willing to pay it - not because the procedure itself is any more expensive to perform.

• 1 month later...