Hair Loss- 2 months Post Opt.- Your Opinions welcome

elshugh

I am now 2 months PO , my procedure was 3000grafts. 3 weeks after HT the grafts started to disapear now I have just a few left. My biggest concern is in the front hairline itself I see just bare smooth scalp where grafts use to be.You couldn't tell I had anything done. Is it true the folical is underneath the skin just waiting to sprout? From what I am reading from others is not to worry the grafts will start to grow again 3-6 months PO. Do I have anything to worry about? I have been on Proscar, Rogaine, MSM for about 7 weeks now, taking it religiously every morning. I also am having the same symptoms with zits on the top of my head. Everyday I look for any sign of growth but still just the smooth baldness I had before the procedure. Man this waiting is hard, plays on your mind.

I am now 2 months PO , my procedure was 3000grafts. 3 weeks after HT the grafts started to disapear now I have just a few left. My biggest concern is in the front hairline itself I see just bare smooth scalp where grafts use to be.You couldn't tell I had anything done. Is it true the folical is underneath the skin just waiting to sprout? From what I am reading from others is not to worry the grafts will start to grow again 3-6 months PO. Do I have anything to worry about? I have been on Proscar, Rogaine, MSM for about 7 weeks now, taking it religiously every morning. I also am having the same symptoms with zits on the top of my head. Everyday I look for any sign of growth but still just the smooth baldness I had before the procedure. Man this waiting is hard, plays on your mind.

Your in the "dormant" phase of HT-- that many go through. About 6 months you should see regrowth. Continue the Propecia, Rogain, MSM, and add a multi vitiamin with Zinc B-6, C in it.

As far as the zits-- dont pop them-- apply a warm compress several times a day which should relieve itself-- if not and it gets bigger, CALL YOUR DOCTOR they can order you some antibiotics so that it doesnt become a boil or get infected.

Patience is a virture. I've had HT where I didnt have regrowth until 8months or so, an others that I had regrowth immediately and did go into the dormant phase--- so it is not just the person but also the timing, eating habits, stress, body chemistry, ect---You;ll be fine, but keep an eye on those zits and I would go ahead and get some antibotics to be on the safe side.

What Smoothy said... you are in the dormant phase, which lasts about 10 or 12 weeks on average... sometimes longer...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My biggest concern is in the front hairline itself I see just bare smooth scalp where grafts use to be.You couldn't tell I had anything done.

This may sound strange at first, but that is actually a VERY good sign. If your scalp doesn't look "worked on" post surgery, that is a sign of small garfts, small recipient sites, etc. The sign of bad work is if your scalp looked like the lunar lanscape, had bumps or divots, etc.

The less evidence of surgery, the better!!!

Nothing left to be said that Arfy and Smoothy didn't cover. Everything sounds normal and great.

I cannot reitterate Arfy's sentiments enough that it is great that your recipient area is smooth and virgin-looking.

Keep your chin up. From the little bit of info you have provided, it sounds like you are right on track.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

thanks for the responses. I just took more pictures today. I do have a little bit of peach fuss type hair mostly in the mid to back part of my head. I don't know if this is from the rogaine or even if it will grow to normal hair. I have a before pic taken about 2 weeks before HT and one taken 10/27/04. Any comments welcome.

beforeandafter.jpg.3c4bfba809a3b8a8a1487cfe69306f8e.jpg

I know exactly how you feel , im at about 5 months now and boy is there ever a difference !! All of a sudden you look in the mirror to a new hairline .. its unreal . I had the same concerns as you , its a horrible feeling !!!!

Hang in there ... if you wait they will come !!! lol

Most dormant period last 3-4 months before regrowth starts-- in a few months you will be surprised. One way to help prevent dormant periods --at least for me, was to take GraftCyte, MSM, NOX2, Rogain 5% on grafts 2wks following transplant along with vit E, c, B-6, Zinc, Aloe vera, and multi vit.

elshugh -

Hang in there brother. The whole damn HT thing is anxiety and joy mixed ( if you have a good surgeon ).

My own history was a 3,500 HT late May, and it seemed most of the grafts stayed in, laid low for several weeks, then have very slowly grown, so now, at 5 months, I have them at about an inch long, which means I have good coverage on what was a totally bald NW5 scalp.

BUT, the density is poor - clearly thin compared with my other hair. So I'm also playing a waiting game; will more sprout, or is that it? I don't know either. I'm assured everything will be OK, but it's a waiting game ... a waiting game. . .

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting closer to the 3 month mark (Nov. 17th) and seeing a little growth. Tiny hairs are starting to pop up but still not the density I had after the HT. I am hopeing the dormant folicles will start to sprout in the coming months. It does look promising at this point. I will post pictures after the 17th. My routine every morning consist of the following. 2ea 1500mg MSM, 1 ea. Mega Men Multi Vitamin, 1/4 of a 5mg proscar tab, 1 Dhea tab 25 mg, rogaine twice daily.

elshugh,

How's it going mate

Im exactly 3 months on the 17th also but am in a different situation. Proof of what Smoothy, Afty and Robert etc have been saying, everyone is different and everybody reacts in its own way. I had 2141 grafts in the front half of my head, take propecia, 3k msm and silica tablets daily, stuff my face with vegetables and cycle/ lift weights to move the blood around and stay fit and have had a very noticable hairline return in 2 1/2 months. Im very suprised how quickly (relativly) my post HT hair has grown back and my situation is quite different to the majority from what ive read.

I have a very similar routine to most but one thing I know ive done is focused alot of my energy on remaining positive in this very nervous time and for some reason it has helped me.

Im not saying any of this to sound like a smart arse, not at all as I like everyone on the forum is in the same Fu***d Up situation with this hairloss thing, but I really think positive thinking and for that matter, trying not to think about it has helped me relax and be stress free about the waiting period.

Whether this is useful or not im not sure but I hope so. Hang in there mate, soon enough you will see the results. By the way, who did your procedure?

Best of Luck

qvarnis

My procedure preformed by Dr. Brad Limmer in San Antonio, Texas. I will have new pictures this week of my 3 month post opt anniversary. I have also created a website to show my progress and will post the link to this site.

Elshugh,

The Limmers have been around a long time and have heard lots of good things about their clinic.

You are right on the threshold of lots of new growth. Just wait until you get to the 6-8 month mark! icon_smile.gif

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Elshugh,

That 3 month mark is a good one. I cannot wait to see the update pics and website. Months 3 through 5 (and beyond) are nothing short of amazing. To look into the mirror and see new growth is absolutely fantastic. The crown does take a while to sprout. Though I have not had any crown work I know that that it can take up to several months to start growing after the hair line and behind. Keep your chin up, buddy. It's about to get a whole lot better.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Well today is my 3 month anniversary. I have some new pictures posted on my webpage. Now I can see that my HT did work and am excited about the coming months. Let me know what you think. Click on this link to view.

[forum moderator note: Elshugh, please use this forums' "photo album" feature or your own web page to show your progress. The rules of this forum do not allow links to outside promotional webpages. Other forums do fall under that category. The "photo album" feature is very easy to use and quick to set up. Look under the "new" tab and select "photo album." Pick which forum you would like your album to appear in, give an introduction (which is just like a regular post), and upload as many pictures as you would like. It is that easy. If you have any questions, feel free to "Private Message" me. Thank you for acknowledging this forum's rules. - Robert]