Oily Scalp after Hair Transplant

sshaikh01

I’m NW 6 - 7... I noticed that the area I’m losing hair is ALWAYS oily… I would come out of a shower and after 30 minutes run my hand down my scalp over the bald pattern and get oily hands.

I’m sure it’s the same for everyone losing hair, I’m guessing this because I actually see the oil on other bald men’s head, their scalp shinning with oil..

So this brings to my question; after getting a HT do the scalp still remains oily?

I know about DHT, and sexual hormones etc etc. I’m kind of concerned because I was under the impression that oil gets in the pores and blocks the hair growth, so if the scalp is still oily after HT wouldn’t it effect the hair growth of the new hair?

Sshaikh,

I have been wondering the same thing. I first got oily skin around the time I started to notice hairloss. I asked this question of one of the doctors I consulted with and he said its not an issue after HT. He also said that the reason I noticed oily skin at the same time I noticed hairloss is because the hair was no longer there to hide the oily skin. I really dont think that it though, I still had a lot of hair when I noticed the oil. I would like to hear what others think about this as well.

Levrais

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

I wonder if it has to do with high DHT? When a boy hits puberty and DHT goes up, he gets oily skin and zits. I did also, but my hair stayed clean for up to a week at a time. Now that I have some MPB going on, I'm lucky to get away without washing my hair ONE NIGHT. Nizoral has helped tremendously. If it weren't for that and the Finasteride, my hair would be greasy before the end of each day!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

fantastic thread!

I have to wash my hair 2x a day because of all the damn oil!

The oil is also one of the reasons my hair looks so bad.

After I get out of the shower and dry my hair, it's relatively full and manageable. Once the oil kicks in, roughly within the hour, it looks thin and horrible.

Any tips on keeping the oil at bay would be greatly appreciated

First transplant with karamikian 6/05, less than 1000 to my hairline, result was mediocre at best.

2nd HT with Feller 2/08, 3000+ to my front third.

this may seem gross, but how oily is you scalp? Do you normally have an 'oily' scalp?

DHT does seem like a logical answer. Have you already had a ht? Or are you taking Finerteride?

Let us know

Very oily..

I have to take daily showers, and after i come out of a shower after 30min.. the scalp is oily again..

Interesting part is its only oily in the bald area.. (my heads sides never get oily)

no i haven't had any HT, and i'm not taking finerteride or rogain.

For me its similar to Davis. If I wash my hair at night, when I wake up in the morning I have oily skin. If I shower in the morning, within a few hours its oily again. Does anyone know how this affects hairloss and ht?

Levrais

View my patient website:

I have noticed this as well after my HT.

I'm on Fin and use a Keto based shampoo and it's still very noticeable.:rolleyes:

Would it be possible for Dr. Charles or one of the other Dr.'s here to comment on whether an oily scalp affects the results of a HT as well as its affects on hairloss in general?

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Actually, I have seen a post on this before. I can't remember which thread it was on though..sorry.

They were saying that it probably has to do with the DHT.

Were you on medications before the ht and then stopped? This could cause the scalp to be oily.

What do you guys and gals think?

In my case there was no change when starting propecia and no change after stopping propecia years later. Nizoral shampoo hasnt had any affect either. There was much less oil for a couple weeks after my ht but then it resumed. What do the docs think???

Levrais

View my patient website:

• 2 months later...
Actually, I have seen a post on this before. I can't remember which thread it was on though..sorry.

They were saying that it probably has to do with the DHT.

Were you on medications before the ht and then stopped? This could cause the scalp to be oily.

What do you guys and gals think?

Wow with so many HT doctors and HT Advisors i'm surprised no one has shed some knowledge on this.

Tom: Meds don't have anything to do with oily scalp.

But yeah, you're right, oily scalp is a cause of stupid DHT hormone.

something interesting is the people who are not balding. Their scalp is never oily.. (i know cuz i've ran my fingers through their hairs, feeling their scalp) and come to think of it, i don't remember my scalp being oily back in the day when i had shit loads of hair.

I have the same problem that all of you guys have concerning oily scalp. I have to take daily showers, specially in the mornings before going to work. I t stays decntly dry till like 6 or 7 pm when it starts to look very oily again.

I had this since I was 20 and it only got worse with the years to the point of washing my hair daily, when it gets oily the hair looks flat, volumeless and shiny showing some scalp. I just hate it. Nizoral workes good on maintaining dry hair for an extended period of time.

Well, as my hairloss progressed since my early 20s to now (Im in my 30s) the oily scalp problem only got worse and Im sure its associated with hairloss, and my question to the HT Docs is how this excess of sebum produced affects the hair follicles.

Another thing for me is that sometimes I get dry oil that looks like scabs and I can feel them in my scalp, theyre itchy, and if I try to rip it out or take it out, the scab comes out with a hair, the scab is attached to the hair root. I'm no doctor but Im sure the hair gets affected by this, or choked by it and it comes out.

What do you guys think.....

The structure of the follicles does undergo plenty of change as the baldness progresses. Since the sebaceous glands are part of this structure, perhaps they too are somehow affected by the changing shape of the follicle?

Aseda, the oil build up during the day that you described is exactly what happens with me. I went to a derm doc about this and he said there is no way to control or stop the oilly scalp. I think I read somewhere recently that this can be caused by thyroid issues.

View my patient website:

Same here, I got really oily hair as well, throughout the day the hair would get oily and cause it to lump together loosing any volume at all. I need to wash 2 times a day to get the oil out.

Funny thing after the HT is that it's less oily and I don't sweat at all on top of balding regions like before.

• 1 month later...

This oily scalp / sebum issue is driving me crazy.

My HT has come in really nice but I occasionally lose a few hairs with sebum balls (plug) attached. Well within the normal daily amount, but it's kind of unnerving.:confused:

I'm on FIn and also wash with Nizoral, still very oily.

What are the other options available?

topical spiro??

low doses of accutane??

there's gotta be some way to deal with this as it appears to be a very common issue that many experience.

Once again, any advice from the Doctors here?

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

• 2 years later...

Anyone out there have luck with shampoos or treatments for sebum plugs?

Nizoral almost ruined my HT, so I cannot use it as much as before.

I am losing thick healthy hairs with sebum plugs attached at the end. I wanna save and maintain my remaining hair....

go dense or go home

Anyone out there have luck with shampoos or treatments for sebum plugs?

Nizoral almost ruined my HT, so I cannot use it as much as before.

I am losing thick healthy hairs with sebum plugs attached at the end. I wanna save and maintain my remaining hair....

What problems are you having with Nizoral? I use it occasionally also

View my patient website:

It dried out my hair and scalp, because it was the only shampoo that worked in treating my seborrheic dermatitis condition and I had to use it quite frequently. This was after Dr. Lees Regrowth shampoo of course became unavailable.

My hair was literally falling out after about a year on Nizoral. After getting off Nizoral though my hair grew back.

My issue now is the sebum plugs, as I am now using a milder shampoo.

Thick otherwise very healthy hair coming out with sebum attached at the root.

go dense or go home

I too experience the oily skin. After the shower, my hair looks full of volume (even though I have average density), but after a few hours, the oil kicks in and makes the hair look very less in count and specially balding areas shine, worsening the situation further. I used several over the counter shampoos, and none worked fine over a period of time. I am too looking for a solution for this. May be some doctors watching this website/forums can suggest us treatment options. Thanks.

[quote My issue now is the sebum plugs, as I am now using a milder shampoo.

Thick otherwise very healthy hair coming out with sebum attached at the root.

I have those too although I didn't know thats what it was. Is the hair dead after it falls out with the sebum plug or does it grow back?

View my patient website: