3 months postop.. can scar still stretch?

I have read different things on this . I think 3 months is ok but a little early. 6-7 months is more of a solid point to feel confident . Some people have more surgery at the 9-12 month mark .

It really depends on the type of activity that you are doing and how frequent, how much tension is being introduced to the area like you would get from doing sit-ups.

The other factors to consider are: how the patient has healed to date, could this be a subsequent procedure where laxity was somewhat tight to begin with, the closing technique employed by the doctor i.e., double-closure, staples, etc.

Generally speaking, once you get beyond the three month mark, it is very rare to see a strip scar stretch.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It can stretch after, but sometimes it doesn't seem so because some of the shockloss hair immediately below the scar recovers in the post-six month period. Saying that, usually the end of the doldrums is when I notice the stretching. Beware of heavy exercise! I read Jotronic saying it was OK to hit weights weeks after strip surgery the other day, but any stretching of the neck muscles is not good. Remember why they ask you to do scalp stretching for months before a surgery!

I don't think the scar is fully matured until the 12 month mark. If it's still pink it isn't fully healed.

And a lot depends on your scalp laxity. If you are really tight I think it could stretch any time during the first year.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My HT Blog

Big Bill

It is uncommon for a scar to stretch after 3 months. As a rule of thumb a scar has about 30% tensile strength at 3 weeks and 80% at 3 months. We used to think that scars became stronger than skin but they may never get to 100% strength. I advise patients to avoid forcefully stretching their scalp for the first 3 months and discourage active scalp stretching exercises until they have reached 5 months.

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for the response, Dr. Simmons.

were you wearing a lot of hats? exercising? anything that would be considered "abusing" (i hate using that word) your scalp?

just trying to figure this all out.

I find very funny everybody giving facts about scars and healing with out having to live every day of their lives with a HT trauma or a horrible and huge strip scar in their head for the rest of their existence! (not talking about repair searching users)

"Undetectable" I love that word! thats the perfect word to keep this business moving.

Get into this this game is just a simple an easy step, but getting out isnt that simple.

Edited by moro

"Undetectable" I love that word! thats the perfect word to keep this business moving.

It's pretty common knowledge that if you get strip you can't shave bald without a visible scar.

If you plan on shaving your head bald the best solution is to not get a HT.

My HT Blog

The words "pretty common" and "without visible scar" will eventually replace "undetectable" after your first procedure.

Plus shaving your head bald is not something that you always consider when you are 20 years old and you are full with insecurities

Biscuit is correct. 1 year is the usual final end result for scars in my 16 years of practice.

But MOST scar problems will be evident at around 6-12 weeks. And on rare occasions, a scar can act up years later, often as the result of some incidental trauma in that area.

I ask every patient to return at 6 weeks to look at their scar. Virtually no hair guy ever shows. But if there is a small problem at 6 weeks, its usually fixable with minimal effort rather than waiting for a big problem to show at a year. Despite this educational info, most guys don't show for a scar check.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

The words "pretty common" and "without visible scar" will eventually replace "undetectable" after your first procedure.

Plus shaving your head bald is not something that you always consider when you are 20 years old and you are full with insecurities

Is any clinic promoting strip as undetectable with a fully shaved head?

Unfortunately it sounds like you weren't able to get feedback from this forum before your HT. From my experience most people here try to discourage 20 year olds from getting a HT. And everyone would tell you that strip will leave a scar that will be visible with a shaved head.

My HT Blog

Again Biscuit is correct. I turned away a 20 year old this afternoon with advice to wait....

And he was off to another practice nearby.

A properly educated and informed 20 year old can make decisions on transplant. The key however is properly educating them to plan for the future, often with a very mature hairline that almost all 20 year olds that I have encountered, refuse to even entertain. The patient balks at that conservative approach wanting an instant gratification, happiness with a youthful hairline while youthful. That same low hairline looks out of place at 40 or older.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

To an extent, the term "undetectable" is relative. Most patients with an optimal strip scar can wear the hair on the sides and back of their scalp at pretty short lengths and still conceal their scar. However, no strip patient should expect to be able to shave their head and not show obvious scarring.

Those who are overly concerned about scarring have usually considered FUE as a viable alternative. While FUE has it's own set of limitations, patients truly afraid of a strip scar should consider and speak to a quality physician about whether or not they're a good candidate for this procedure.

Personally, I wear the hair on the sides and back of my scalp pretty short and the scar can be seen when I cut my hair too short. Of course, this is after 4 hair transplants and 9600 grafts. To be honest however, I'm not overly concerned about it even though I know others are. Ideally however, if I want to conceal my scar fully, I should wear my hair at about a 4 clip or higher.

Best wishes,

Bill

wb280,

It's difficult to say with any degree of certainty, but typically if a scar is going to stretch, it will stretch in the first 6 months, moreso in the first 3. Thus, it's crucial to be sure to follow your physician's postoperative instructions to minimize any additional strain/tension on the wound while it's healing. The area can take 12 to 18 months to heal completely.

Best wishes,

Bill

Is any clinic promoting strip as undetectable with a fully shaved head?

Unfortunately it sounds like you weren't able to get feedback from this forum before your HT. From my experience most people here try to discourage 20 year olds from getting a HT. And everyone would tell you that strip will leave a scar that will be visible with a shaved head.

biscuit, you are right I didnt even know the existence of this forums before my HT and I am sure 95% of kids doing HTs on this days dont know either.

FYI, the word "undetectable" is mention in almost every HT web site, others they dont even mention the scar. Do some more reading my friend!

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/resources/hair-restoration-papers/trichophytic-closure-a-new-way-to-camouflage-a-hair-transplant-incision/

http://www.shapiromedical.com/procedure/

http://www.wolfhair.com/strip-fue.htm

http://www.drrobertjones.com/jones-technique.html

http://www.hdc.com.cy/index.php?pageid=29

Note: I have nothing against this Drs. or clinics but I honestly believe the word "undetectable" should not be use in this case.

I read those links but I don't see your point. Some of them are talking about the process of follicular unit transplantation, not the strip scar. The others never say you will receive an undetectable scar.

However, the clinic I went to does say "virtually undetectable scar" on their web site, which I think is misleading.

Donor Area Scarring | Trichophytic Closure Technique - Hasson & Wong

AFAIK, no HT scars are undetectable on a shaved head so no clinic should make that claim. Saying "virtually undetectable" or "nearly undetectable" would only be accurate if they qualified it with the length of hair necessary to conceal the scar. But I'd prefer a more accurate portrayal of the scarring with a clear statement about scars on shaved heads, for both FUE and strip.

My HT Blog