bodybuilding and hair loss (not steroids)

j1j9j85

hello,

just read a few posts here on protein/creatine and supplements for bodybuilding increasing hair loss.

when my balding first started i was 19/20 it started off as a coin sized patch on my vertex. come to think of it! it all happen when i was taking alot of protein creatine and la muscle noratteen testosterone boosters.......

it could be coincedence or it may have triggered it. i have no doubt i had mpb and it was only a matter of time before it reared its ugly head so to speak.

The majority of men who do have male pattern baldness regardless of whether they take supplements or not first notice around the age of 22 or at least the 20s

so most men find out post puberty in the 20s regardless of supplements i just think its coincedence that during this time of personal journey into adult hood many men start bodybuilding or weight training either to get healthy or to look good, some times with supplement use..... and then the creatine protein gets yhe blame?

i have no doubt whats so ever all steroids oral and injectable increase hair loss. all steroids get converted to DHT and DHT cause hairloss its that simple. and in relation working out in general also increases testosterone its a fact.

so the just of it is i think men who are MPB prone often find out at a age when they are trying to self improve and just so happen to be working out and or using supplements at the time as the majority of 20 year olds work out and use supplements such as protein an creatine. so they often blame the usage of supplements.

in my personal experinace i started balding when i was also taking test boosters and working out alot.... how ever the test boosters didnt help the situation and made it worse. the reason i was balding was down to genetics.

some with no MPB could take enough creatine to OD and still not go bald. anything that dramatically increases testosterone will have bad effects on your hair if you have MPB....... more testosterone equals more free test in your system and this equals more test being converted to dht and dht causes hair loss.........

protein and creatine do not cause hair loss! DHT does

many people working out strive to get muscles and in getting muscles via proteins and creatine and intense weightlifting these things naturaly increase test levels in the body..... and muscle mass! this increased test = increased dht which = hair loss MPB prone people will then notice shedding!!!

if you take a dht inhibitor for example in theory this should prevent the test to dht conversion and then this should allow the individual with MPB to take proteins and creatine and weightlift with out the fear of your increased test effecting your hair loss........

many bodybuilders i know who take steroids (artificial testosterone) of up to 700mg a week when the normal test for the male human body is like 100mg a week.... now all take dutas or finest to prevent hair loss whilst on cycles! infact they take finest all year round and then take dutas on top of the finest for the duration of the steroid cycles.................

any thing that raises testosterone levels will result in hair loss to MPB men! creatine or protein do not increase test levels......

• 2 months later...

You're right that it's DHT that causes hairloss. I disagree that supplements can't or won't cause hairloss though.

Some steroids work without raising DHT levels, so it makes sense that they wouldn't cause any hairloss.

A person's hair follicles probably have the same sensitivity to DHT whether they're a bodybuilder or sedentary. A bodybuilder has a lot of hormonal fluctuations from their weight training and their dietary intake.

Eating is one of the most anabolic things you can do. It can modulate hormones including DHT. So if it's a food supplement we're talking about here, it can definitely cause changes in hormones, including DHT. The effect may be small, but to someone already prone to hairloss, it may be cosmetically significant.

• 6 months later...

Hi, I just joined because I recently (about a month and a half ago) began taking creatine monohydrate from Optimum Nutrition. I've definitely felt my workouts improve as a result. I'm sensitive to hairloss though, and have noticed an uptick in the number of hairs I see when I shower. So I began searching and found this article through pubmed, which attributes increased DHT levels with creatine use:

Three weeks of creatine monohydrate supplementatio... [Clin J Sport Med. 2009] - PubMed result

I'm posting here because it's the most recently post I found that mentions creatine and am hoping to find some answers. It was my fault for taking creatine without doing the proper research on possible side effects, but are there people out there going through what I am going through right now? Specifically, how have hairloss/regrowth progressed after discontinuing creatine use?

I'm grateful for any insight people can shed on this topic!

• 4 months later...
protein is supost to be good for the hair.. anyway if you take steroides,creatine or what ever well you are a cheater douche bag,why people can't train naturaly ?

How is taking creatine cheating? Suggest you do some research before making such wide off remarks

Creatine is found in meats, it's natural. It does add water weight, those "muscles" are basically water based, once you stop using it, for most people you loose that mass, but you can use nitric oxide, which is a hemodilator, to turn that creatine water muscle mass into muscle using your blood for a permanent gain.

Protein is probably in the same category as creatine. Both require you to drink plenty of fluids, water.

Steroids, testosterone boosters (andro's etc), anything hormonal for gains, now that is what I'd call cheating.

I mostly agree with the OP, based on my personal experience. I have never taken steroids, but I have engaged in periodic bodybuilding over the last 8-10 years.

The periods of time when I have built the most muscle have unquestionably coincided with the periods I've had of the most hair loss.

I definitely think supplements have had a negative effect (I've taken raw creatine, NO-Explode nitric oxide + creatine, protein powder, jack3d) but the effect of more loss is there even when I haven't taken any supplements. This is because you eat more when you lift more weights, and as one of the posters astutely mentioned, food is one of the most anabolic things you can put in your body.

I've also read that testosterone alone, not just DHT, can cause hair loss.

It's a trade off, really. When I am skinny and/or out of shape, I can't get a woman to look at me. When I am in shape and tan and have muscles, women seem to conveniently not notice that I have a receding hair line. Go figure.

End of the day would you rather be out of shape with man boobs and a beer belly still going bald and probably going to lose the hair anyway or get in shape have a great body and still look like your losing hair just might be a litttle quicker than expected, Atleast then you will

know exactly what hair your going to lose so if your are considering getting a HT you might be able to see much better what you will need to get up to your expectations

• 1 year later...

Theres slim evidence it could potentially speed up MPB but only if you are prone to MPB so your going to lose it anyway. The option of not training is not an option for me.

Just by training alone and eating right with no supplements you will be increasing your test levels .

• 1 month later...
End of the day would you rather be out of shape with man boobs and a beer belly still going bald and probably going to lose the hair anyway or get in shape have a great body and still look like your losing hair just might be a litttle quicker than expected, Atleast then you will

know exactly what hair your going to lose so if your are considering getting a HT you might be able to see much better what you will need to get up to your expectations

Agreed. If the choice is between fitness and hair - I'll choose fitness (but prefer both! :D ). I have been lifting since I was 14 years old (40 now) and have never noticed any difference during times when I stayed out of the gym or was going hard-core.

I imagine everything we do impacts test/DHT levels in our bodies to some extent, but the benefits of training outweigh the possible downsides to me.

Once you start talking about juicing, then all bets are off. I've been tempted in the past to try a cycle or two, but I never followed through primarily because of hair-loss concerns, but also health concerns. Very happy I never did.

I don't really take supplements, only some whey protein post workout. I do question what manufacturers put into supplements. Personally I think there should be some oversight to the entire supplement industry so people can feel confident they are getting what the bottle says they are getting.

Cliff notes - Live life and don't let your fear of hair-loss control your life anymore than it already does. I struggle with it daily too so you're not alone.

Juicing is nuts mate. Hairloss is the most mild side effect of it. Dont get me wrong im an avid trainer and have been tempted in the past.

But these guys have no idea what its doing to their insides.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

There has to be a balance in our routine and regimen, but juicing is dangerous like everything else we consume... Ironically, MPB isn't a health concern.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 1 year later...