Stubborn bad scabs and dislodged grafts?

Hi guys,

I had my HT 6-7 days ago now and have a couple of questions for those who've had it done or any docs who feel like answering. I've got pretty bad scabbing in parts of the recipient area which were most traumatised. I had the HT done whilst keeping my existing hair at it's original length.

I've been trying to keep it hydrated and using the couple of moisturising liquids given by my doc. He's abroad so i can't go see him again (not that i think this is serious enough that i need to), though i will ring him in the next day or two for advice coz the following is a little concerning. The reason i'm not more stressed is because it seems a common topic!

Basically, with bad scabbing, is there a foolproof way to help them off? I don't see these leaving any time soon because of how thick they are. A few bits have come away now but only in the less affected areas. I tried to 'help' one or two small bits off that seemed to be coming away anyway but found an implanted hair or two running through the scab!

At this stage (6days) if those implanted hairs were in the scab does that mean i've lost them? (no bleeding where they came from) Or have they left behind a healthy 'pore' that will produce new hair? Forgive my ignorance as i hope against hope!!

I've also read (depending where you look) that the hair's growth may be hindered by such thick scabbing and it's best to make every effort to work them off? And on another page to leave the scalp do it's own thing as much as possible with no 'forcing' for better results (that being the case these babies are here for a LONG time!)

Any response greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Do not pick, the body will shed them in due course, gently dab them with a wash cloth in the shower, be gentle.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

As long as there's no blood, you should be fine. What helped me was to apply Vitamin E oil every day for the first 12 days. What also helped was soaking my entire head in a sink filled with room temperature water for about 10-15 minutes to help loosen the scabs before showering.

Edited by Fingers Crossed

dub, i agree with the guys. If u dun see red, probably u r fine. My scabs did not come off until nearly3 weeks. Do not worry so much, u r probably doing just fine :)

Anyway i did not put Vit E oil. I used aloe vera gel, and left it on for an hour or two. Washed it off after that. It worked for me :)

hope that helps!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Thanks gents, just i'm back to work in 10 days so am getting a bit anxious. I knew i'd have a bit of pinkness etc.. as a given, but didn't think there'd still be actual dark scabs. Hindering my activity on my time off work too!

I'll certainly give those tips a go. I don't want to aggravate the area too much though. Once i've made good progress before i get back to work i'm happy... just gonna take longer than expected. Cheers.

Just a note to say that it's day 12 now, and scabs that looked like they were in for the duration have mostly come away now. Still a tad worried that in some instances there were definitely transplanted hairs embedded in the scabs but the numbers weren't huge so hopefully even if they are gone for good i'll still achieve my overall hair goals! Staples due out in 2/3 days and back to work in 5 so it's just fingers crossed now for minimal shock-loss and then all being well some good progress! Cheers.