Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) Vs. Follicular Unit Grafting (FUT)

I'm planning on getting a HT before the end of this year. I've been researching the FUT and FUE methods and can't decide which one to go with.

I'm leaning toward the FUE method because I won't be left with a long scar, however, I've read that the FUT method produces healthier grafts.

I've listed a few advantages and disadvantages of each method as I understand them. I'm interested to read feedback from people who have tried these methods.

Follicular Unit Grafting (FUT) or "Strip technique"

Advantages:

* Fut grafts are often more healthy than FUE grafts

* Much less expensive than FUE method

Disadvantages:

*long thin scar on the donor area (scalpel is used unlike with the FUE method)

* Longer period for donor area to heal

*Much more expensive than FUT

Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)

Advantages

*No long linear scar (No scalpel used)

*No limitations on activity after the procedure (Less time to heal)

Disadvantages:

* Almost double the cost of FUT method

*FUE grafts are less healthy

Of course there are many more advantages and disadvantages for each method, but these are the ones that stand out.

Hi Garet, this topic has been discussed over n over again. You can do a search in this forum and u can get tons of threads and discussion on this topic!

Actually many potential patients neglect a very important, if not the most important, point

The factor is whether u are a suitable FUE candidate! To cut to the chase, if u are at your 30s and already experiencing severe hair loss, FUE probably does not suit u as u need as many grafts as u can get to achieve your desired results.As you have already mentioned, FUE yield is typically less than FUT.

However, if you are looking for a smaller session and your hair loss has more or less stabilised, then FUE is the way to go.

The above is just a very simple explanation. Do search around in this forum as it provides loads of information!

Anyway, why not post some photos and your age details etc so we can just help give some comments

hope that helps!

Edited by wb280
error

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Advantage of strip over FUE-much larger sessions, 2 strip grafts for every 1 FUE graft, and strip grafts have a higher survival rate than FUE.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Hi Garet, this topic has been discussed over n over again. You can do a search in this forum and u can get tons of threads and discussion on this topic!

Actually many potential patients neglect a very important, if not the most important, point

The factor is whether u are a suitable FUE candidate! To cut to the chase, if u are at your 30s and already experiencing severe hair loss, FUE probably does not suit u as u need as many grafts as u can get to achieve your desired results.As you have already mentioned, FUE yield is typically less than FUT.

However, if you are looking for a smaller session and your hair loss has more or less stabilised, then FUE is the way to go.

The above is just a very simple explanation. Do search around in this forum as it provides loads of information!

Anyway, why not post some photos and your age details etc so we can just help give some comments

hope that helps!

Thank you for the advice. I'll post a picture here.

J_Top_Culy_01.jpg.d0b11399bffaa36022ff8b8dc38ebe07.jpg

Edited by garet
Mistake in my post

Advantage of strip over FUE-much larger sessions, 2 strip grafts for every 1 FUE graft, and strip grafts have a higher survival rate than FUE.

I have come to believe that the survival rate and overall success of FUE largely depends on minimizing the trauma and possible "shock effects".

Therefore I don't want a FUE mega-session, where a huge team of techs punches out and puts in 2000, 3000, 4000 grafts in the shortest possible time. I prefer a surgeon who takes the time to do every step of the way, or at least the biggest part, himself and only does 500-800 grafts in one session.

My impression is that some of the FUE docs are aiming more for the biggest possible profit in the shortest possible time than for the best possible results. After seeing some very poor FUE results even from a supposed top surgeon who is very much into mega sessions, I am convinced that the degree of personal dedication a surgeon (preferably an experienced one) puts into a procedure, especially into a FUE procedure, and the points outlined above have a huge impact on the final outcome.

Edited by CopaSurfer

Many of the best doctors such Hasson & Wong and Alexander don't even offer it because they view it's upside one of diminishing returns and expense. If your doctor is a skilled surgeon he can make a strip scar all but disappear.

Some of the doctors that practice only FUE do so out of greed and lack of confidence or result in their scar healing ability.

A good surgeon will make it look like either a simple run of the mill childhood imperfection that is faintly on the back of your head or even make it disappear from sight altogether.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Surfer and Speegs did highlight some of the concerns regarding FUE and to be honest, i agree with them. Not that i am against FUE, but its slightly overhyped. Like i said, run some searches in this forum u can find tons of information!

I have gone thru your pic and it seems like u have a badly receding hairline with some balding until the crown. Obviously i m not medically trained so i am just giving my humble opinion :) To fill in those patches, u would need 3000 grafts and beyond. Costs will be an issue. As far as i can see, you have curly and coarse hair, and that makes u an even better FUT candidate as your curly hair can easily conceal the scar :)

Do approach a few recommended docs online and get a better idea :)

hope that helps!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Many of the best doctors such Hasson & Wong and Alexander don't even offer it because they view it's upside one of diminishing returns and expense. If your doctor is a skilled surgeon he can make a strip scar all but disappear.

Some of the doctors that practice only FUE do so out of greed and lack of confidence or result in their scar healing ability.

A good surgeon will make it look like either a simple run of the mill childhood imperfection that is faintly on the back of your head or even make it disappear from sight altogether.

I've noticed on this site that most of the senior members are recommending FUT. When I do a random search on google or youtube, there is a lot more information about FUE, as it seems to be the latest type of HT and in trend. FUE seems more common nowadays in the USA too/

Perhaps the reason that some doctors in foreign countries don't offer FUE is that they are already skilled at FUT and don't want to go from being experienced in one method to a novice in another? Perhaps it's a business decision. What are your thoughts about that?

I've read seen considerably more examples of FUT surgeries gone wrong than FUE's gone wrong.

Garet, i must say u are quite sharp to point that out given that you are still a relatively new member :)

You are right in a way but on the flip side, if it aint broken, dun fix it. If the doc is extremely well versed in this FUT profession, it is understandable that he feels coy going into a brand new skill.

Also, you are spot on with your statement that more FUT surgeries went wrong, compared to FUE. Some surgeries were done so badly that the scars left a huge 'scar' on their mental being, literally and figuratively. That said, i am a strip patient myself, and u would ask me, why then would i opt for strip?

I believe 80% or more of HT surgeries done these days are FUT rather than FUE. Simply put it, if u are suffering from little hair loss, maybe FUE is suitable. Point is, most of us suffer from bad hair loss, meaning NW3 and above. Quite a handful are quite young, in the region of mid 20s to late 30s. Without knowing how our hair loss pattens will develop, we have to undergo strip surgery to utilise our precious grafts the best we can.

Hence, back to my point since my first post to u, u have to also make a choice. If the doc believes u are more intended for strip than FUE, then probably it is so.

Do approach a few docs and get some online consultations done and u will get a clearer picture

hope that helps!