My hair loss experience and first HT

teach77

I won't be redundant since I have posted the basic idea of my story on my profile. I'm 33 years old and had my first HT with Dr. Dorin on 7/20/10. I had been researching hair loss and HTs for several years (this site was a BIG help!) and decided to take the plunge. After consulting with Dr. Dorin in early June, I started taking Propecia in mid-June and scheduled my transplant. We decided on 1500-1600 graft FUT, solely to the frontal 1/3, for a variety of reasons, not least of all the questionability of my further hair loss...my family has a variety of Norwood levels that are pretty inconsistent.

I had a fantastic experience with Dr. Dorin and the staff. From the minute I walked in, everyone was friendly and I was quite comfortable. Dr. Dorin gave me 2 Valium, which was an interesting experience! I was given the remote for the TV and then they began the numbing injections to the donor area. They pinched a bit in some places, but overall it was painless. Dr. Dorin removed the strip, again, pain-free, though I didn't care for the hearing the sounds of the cutting into my scalp (next time earphones may be in order). I was comfortable while I waited and walked TV and some of the staff came in to talk with me and crack some jokes. Dr. Dorin came in and prepped my recipient area as we waited to begin. Lunch came in the meanwhile, so I ate and then we got right to work. The technicians doing the implanting were great! They were friendly and had a comedy routine that was quite amusing. I had absolutely no pain...it sort of felt like I had a helmet on my head, but not uncomfortably so. I watched TV and even dozed off for a bit, while they worked. Throughout the entire process I was asked if I was okay many, many times and if wanted or needed a break, which I did not. When it was over, I watched a video on caring for the hair, Dr. Dorin asked if I had any questions and put my cap on for me, and I left.

I went to my hotel and checked-in, took a Vicodin (I have no problems taking them on an empty stomach) and slept for several hours. When I woke up, I got something to eat, came back the hotel and checked out my head. I found a circular bump on top of my head, which I thought was a mole that had been previously covered with hair, but then it expanded and the next morning part of it popped (I didn't go near it with my hands) and it leaked plasma. That night I had a lot of trouble sleeping even with the Ambien and the Vicodin. I'd guess it was a combination of the naps I took, plus the pain in the donor area. I went back to the office in the morning to have everything cleaned. The technician was very friendly and accomodating. It turned out that the bump was from one of my grafts dislodging, but she was able to put it right back in. Dr. Dorin talked to me and again asked if I had any questions. I scheduled my appointment to have my sutures out and went on my way.

I couldn't have asked for a more positive experience. Dr. Dorin and the staff at True and Dorin are fantastic!

After the first 48 hours, I stopped taking the vicodin during the day and switched to advil. At Day 4 after, I am down to one Advil during the day and one Vicodin at night. Last night was the first night I got a full nights sleep and didn't wake with irritation or pain in the donor area and need to take another vicodin. So, I'm please with the recovery at this point.

I did have a few odd physiological things that do make me a little concerned about having that illusive "x-factor" First, Dr. Dorin said that I bled the least of any blonde patient he's ever had. I'm hoping this isn't indicative of poor circulation to my scalp. Second, Dr. Dorin and the technicians were all very surprised at how short my follicles are. Apparently the shortest they'd ever seen. What's interesting is that I had just had a periodontist appointment where I was told I have extremely short roots in my 2 front teeth as well. I wonder if it's all connected? I'm trying not to worry about the issues, as no seemed concerned, just kind of surprised.

That's my story at this point. I am attaching two pics I took today. I don't think they're very clear, but I can't seem to get the lighting right in my condo. Other than my profile pic, which is oldish but does show the basic extent of my loss, because my old computer got a virus and I never backed up my files...Doh!

I'll continue to update as time goes on...

day4post1.JPG.d74e59a281548e9d7754de923a1588b2.JPG

day4post2.JPG.4a2a28678530b0ff7229729ab15c3274.JPG

Teach77,

Congratulations on your hair transplant procedure! I'm glad to hear you had an excellent experience with Dr. Dorin, and I hope you'll keep the community updated on your continual progress. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

teach77,

Thanks for taking the time to chronicle your experience with Dr. Dorin. I'm happy to hear that you had such a positive experience. I'll keep keeping my eye our for your future updates.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks so much! I will definitely be posting periodic updates. Hopefully I can fix the lighting so my webcam works a little better than the pics in this post! Just figuring out the new computer...

• 11 months later...

What a tuff guy! I was on the painkillers for three weeks... Ouch!

I don't know how Teach77's experience evaded me for so long. Looks like he has one hell of a result to boot. What a transformation!

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.