how long it takes for donor scar to become thin

Hi ,

I had a 2550 grafts FUT surgery done by Dr.Venkataram Mysore, Bangalore 70 days back. I can see some garfts have produced new hairs but very thin and insignificant. So I need to wait and see when they will thicken and when I will get the remaining grafts growing. I experienced mild shockloss in the native hair but they have come back.

My concern here is, my doctor told that I will end up with a 1mm wide scar. But now, 70 days post-op I am having a scar which is at least 2mm wide. Will it take much longer to shrink? or I have to live with this 2mm scar?

I am planning to visit Dr.Venkat and have a consultation soon.

FYI, my post-op report says that the strip taken from my head was 27 x 1 cm. My scar pic attached.

220720101690.jpg.ef328e8bb871d57e580ea850550459cf.jpg

The scar doesnt shrink with time, if anything it gets bigger with time. I've never heard of a scar shrinking as time passes by, if its 2mm now it will stay like that or get bigger, unless it is not all scar but rather shockloss. 3 Months is normally what the scar will to continue to look like providing ou take it easy with exercise etc.....

Shankar,

The other commentator is right; a scar doesn't ordinarily get slimmer over time, although at 70 days post-op, I think it almost certainly is as wide as it's going to be. What does happen over that first year though is that the COLOR of the scar goes from a pinkish color to a white one similar to the surrounding scalp, so that it is much less noticeable. Because of the huge variance from one patient to the next as to the elasticity of the scalp, I would say your doctor went out on a limb promising you a 1mm or less wide donor scar. The 1cm width he chose for your donor scar is certainly a conservative width, and he certainly wasn't pushing the envelope there. In my own practice, first time transplant patients end up with a 1mm or less scar probably 80% of the time, but some of the others end up with 1.5, 2.0, or rarely 3mm. This latter happens in those with "hyper-elasticity" of the scalp. When we inject the tumescent fluid into the donor area prior to making the cut, we can often tell who actually is hyperelastic and then plan the excision and post-op care to try and help the scar end up as narrow as possible. Ways to do this are the following:

Leave the sutures in longer (14-18 days, instead of 8-10)

Not take quite as wide of a strip

Keep a small section of scalp intact just behind the ear, so that the donor strip doesn't go all the way

through this area, but rather is divided into a straight strip from the back wall and two (if needed) strips from the sides.

In the first couple of months post-op, have the patient avoid doing activities that accentuate flexion of the neck down onto the chest, such as sit-ups, laying in bed reading at night with the head propped up on 2-3 pillows or cushions.

I am also one of those who believe trichophytic closures are only indicated for those who are having their LAST transplant procedure. I will make an exception if I think a patient has a lot of laxity and doesn't intend to have another surgery for quite a few years, in order to maximize the cosmetic appearance of the donor scar in the ensuing years. In general transplant patients have to be told that they should expect to wear their hair at least 1/2 inch in length to cover the typical donor scar of 2-3 sessions, as most patients have. If they are not willing to do that, or still want to preserve the possibility of shaving their head, then they should look into a non-surgical hairpiece or possibly FUE, if their project isn't too large. If they are heading toward a typical Norwood VI degree of baldness later in life, then I am quite sure that the cosmetic deformity of that many FU's using FUE will give a "moth-eaten" appearance just as unsightly with close shaving as the worst donor scar.

So, in summary, my prediction for you is that in around 10 months your scar will look just fine, but won't be any slimmer, and shouldn't be wider.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

thanks sparky and dr.mike

I will be visiting my doctor on august 9th. Will find out from him whether the 2 mm line is fully scarred or i will grow some hair there to make the line thinner. After seeing the back of my head my friends are telling mixed comments whether its a fully scarred area or shocked area. And I am unable to find out from pictures.

This is really bothering me because i like keeping my hair short :(

doctor, if a 2nd strip is taken along the same scar for next surgery will i get a similar scar or wider one..