'Age Appropriate' - Whats that?

Originally posted by labrat69:

mahhong,

great post and I couldn't have expressed my thoughts on HT any better than this. Hair by itself is utterly meaningless. Chicks aren't going to be pulling a densometer out of their purse to check your hair density and see if it matches Clooney's or Pitt's. If it looks nicely groomed and frames your face well, then there are MANY chicks who would actually prefer a NW2 over a NW1 any day if he has a better body, face, charisma, and personality -- PERIOD !!!

I have had a receeding hairline for many years but the hairloss never bothered me until I lost enough of the hairline to not have my face framed anymore. Once you can no longer acheive any kind of hairstyle (except a combover)that is when hairloss becomes a depressing issue.

I honestly believe that alot of the "hair obsessed" folks on these boards are probably not good HT candidates because they'll never feel like they have enough. I see so many NW 2s on here that are suicidal that their temples are receeding. If your hair is everything you've got then you are in pretty serious trouble IMO thinking a HT will solve all of your insecurity self-image issues.

Glad you agree labrat!

I think it's interesting if you look at all the "best" HT's on the net (bobman being an obvious example) I would argue in 70%+ of the cases the guys have also lost some weight, bought good clothes and generally look clean and tidy.

I think most men who have a successful HT combine it with a fitness regime and general fashion overhaul and that's when a HT goes from an improvement to a transformation.

It's true of any part of your body really. It's hardly ever the case that somebody is good looking because of one feature. There are plenty of girls, to use a crass example, that the media would label overweight who look fantastic because they have curves and dress well and look happy.

It's the same with someone like Billy Zane. The guy is about as bald as you can get with MPB but he looks great. Granted he's been blessed with better looks than most people but I guarantee if he was 30 pounds heavier or wore knitted jumpers and baggy cargo pants everywhere he'd be a face in the crowd. Instead he looks like he's thought about how he wants to appear and that, in itself, goes a long way to looking good.

I think you raised a good point about what a good HT candidate is and one often overlooked point is the psychology behind it. I think a lot of men are convinced they won't look good until they have an absolutely full head of hair and pin all their problems on not having enough hair and needing surgery to get it. In most of these cases I think an HT will be a "failure" by patient standards because they'll have convinced themselves they're only 5000 grafts away from looking like Brad Pitt!

Unless you're only looking for modest goals (i.e framing your face a bit better) I don't think an HT is worthwhile without looking into your physique, your clothes, your general sense of being etc.

You only have to look at guys like Jack Nicholson and Sean Connery to see losing your hair doesn't really have to make any difference to your persona. In many ways I think a HT is really only worthwhile if you're comfortable enough to lose your hair anyway (ironic, I know). Otherwise it just becomes a black hole you can throw everything that's wrong with your life into and seethe over.

Obviously HTs are a wonderful thing but they can become the equivalent of anorexia or something; some massive psychological obsession where enough is never enough. I would argue getting an HT should be combined with a general lifestyle overhaul if you really want to look and feel better. All the best HT results are really guys that have just improved everywhere and the hair in quite literally the icing on a much improved cake!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mahhong,

Those are some more very valid observations; we seem to share the same outlook on HTs. Hoever, I will say that for guys like NicNitro and Bobman their HT was DEFINITELY the catalyst to make all those other things seem worthwhile.

I think alot of guys with MPB just let their bodies go because they feel like it won't make much of a difference to be in shape or dress nice anyway, and they are indeed partly correct. I have to admit that I am partially guilty of this too, although I'm only 155 lbs. and 5' 8" tall. But I used to be more ripped and dressed more sharply.

For me a "transformation" is NOT just something that YOU notice and that makes YOU feel better about yourself, but rather something that others unmistakably recognize as a significant change in your appearence. That's why Londonlad or Bobman really stand out. Some guys just look almost like different people with decent hair and facial framing, and I happen to think that will be me as well. If I get the type of result that these guys did I feel confident that in 6 months time I'll have my 25 year old body back as well. The hairloss has always made me look older, and I just want proper facial framing again which I know is a completely realistic expectation in my case.

you guys can't talk about facial framing and downplay density. if you're hair is totally see through it's meaningless how low your hairline is. in fact, I think a diffuse thinning look is less desirable than a high receeded hairline on most people. that's just my personal opinion though.

Originally posted by Megatron:

you guys can't talk about facial framing and downplay density. if you're hair is totally see through it's meaningless how low your hairline is. in fact, I think a diffuse thinning look is less desirable than a high receeded hairline on most people. that's just my personal opinion though.

I would agree, unless that patient had fue and is going for the buzz.

However, there are some patients where true density NW2 hairline is possible. For example, londonlad, but he is an exception considering his age and level of loss. E-man is another example.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!