Dr. Path... 10 days out

I received my first FUT 10 days ago by Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, and finally got off my ass to write my experience. First, I want to give a heartfelt thank you to the moderators and other users of this website. My hair loss has been far more advanced than anyone I've known my age in college and grad school, and I felt very alone with my struggle. It wasn't until I found this website that I saw other people sharing the same emotions I've felt. And for the first time I didn't feel alone, and most importantly I saw hope, when there was nothing but a feeling of hopelessness before. It is a great feeling to get support and encouragement from others. So thank you for sharing your stories with me.

I decided to have a HT four years ago, but it's taken that long to find the time and money to do it. After using this site extensively I decided to go with Dr. Path because I felt I could get more grafts for the same amount of money, and I didn't feel like I was compromising on quality. I can't emphasize enough that Dr. Path is of the utmost caliber, and at the forefront of the field. I also had a month off, and was able to use a trip to Thailand as a good excuse to get the surgery done and recover without anyone knowing. The surgical experience couldn't have gone smoother. I met Dr. Path 2 days pre-operatively, and was given an estimate of 3000 grafts. It was decided to go for a conservative mature hairline (difficult to accept at 29), try to go for good density up front, and work our way to the back with whatever was left. I knew my crown would have to wait for another day. Up to and including the day of surgery I wasn't scared or nervous even though this is the first surgery I've ever had. I was excited that I was finally doing something about my hairloss. The experience couldn't have been smoother. I was pretty out of it the whole time (I'm a huge light weight, and the valium knocked me out). I was told you get massages during the HT with Dr. Path, but the only time I got a massage was when they were injecting the local anesthetic (but I got plenty of massages afterwards in Bangkok). It was a 9 hour procedure. It took long because I didn't want to shave my head. I didn't eat lunch, go to the bathroom, watch movies or anything. I'm sure I could've, I was just asleep. I was extremely happy when I heard the final count was 3,631. Hopefully all the work I did with the scalp exercises helped. According to Dr. Path I was quite a bleeder. The first 3 days I slept at a 45 degree angle with an inflatable neck pillow. The pain was very tolerable if I took ultracet every 8 hours. Swelling only occurred on post op day 2 and lasted 1 day. I went to the clinic on post op day 1 and 2 to get shampooed, and returned on day 5 to get some sutures removed. I had scabs for the first week, but by day 7-8 they were all gone. I now have a very nice layer of peach fuzz where the grafts were transplanted. I expect these hairs will probably fall out soon, but am praying they don't. The only negative thing in the whole experience is that I have quite a bit of shock loss at the donor site. Totally livable, and as long as the hairs grow back, I'm cool with it. The scar has a nice tricophytic closure, and Dr. Path's team has a reputation for making scars that are hard to find.

As far as Dr. Path is concerned, it's pretty established that he is of excellent quality. Now, I know I can't speak about people's motivations, but in the world of cosmetic surgery, a fair number of doctors are motivated by the money. It doesn't mean they don't do quality work, or they don't genuinely care about their patients and outcomes. But I think there are other doctors who get off on the science of it all. Dr. Path truly takes a vested interest in the science of HT and approaches it with an academic vigor which i think sets him apart from some other cosmetic surgeons. It is apparent in the fact that he writes books, is involved in research, trains fellows, and attends and organizes conferences. He is also respected within the community - as the week before my surgery he organized a local conference that was attended by Dr. Wong, Dr Humayun Mohmand and other big names. I'm sure a lot of these qualities are shared by other coalition docs recommended by this site.

Having the surgery done in Bangkok was an added bonus. This is a great place for medical tourism. It is amazing the quality of hotels you can get for next to nothing. And recovery has been lovely here, as getting hour long massages only cost $5. It's easy to get around and explore, and it's kept my mind distracted. And I've been eating like a king. Only thing I'll say, is that it's hot, and difficult to avoid your scalp from sweating. I know coming to Bangkok for surgery may not be for everyone, but it's been a wonderful experience for me and has injected an element of fun into what may otherwise have been a very stressful experience.

So as I write this, I'm am full of hope and optimism. I've seen a few people disappointed on this site at the end of a year, and to me, a lot of those results look great. I'm not saying people don't have a right to high expectations especially when they're paying lots of money and traveling far, but at this point, I feel like I can only improve. And I want to make sure I remember where I'm starting from, so I don't over-scrutinize the details a few months from now. I think tempered expectations and high hopes will keep me positive. So for now I could not be happier with my choices and experience. I look forward to updating you with my journey. Feel free to post any questions or comments.

Hair Restoration Site for Not Ur Avg

NotUrAvg,

Thank you for sharing your story! I hope you will continue to keep the community updated on the on-going progress. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi there NUA! Congrats to a successful surgery! As u are well aware, i had mine done some time before u and ur words echo my sentiments exactly on Doc Path and his team!

A few details i would like to add in case some potential patients considering Dr Pat come across this thread

1) As for the shaving, like we discussed in another thread, it depends on your NW. I am prob between NW 2 to 3, more of a diffused thinner so Dr Path did tell me it would be really really tough for the hair techs and himself to do a good job as all the native hair will be in the way. I just want to reiterate in case the potential patients misunderstand.

2) To add on, i din exactly remember how many techs, but coincidentally, i had someone coming from where i come from, who did one day later than me, said there were 3 teams, each comprising of 2 pax. Dr Pat and 1 tech, assistant dr and 1 tech, and 2 tech. She also mentioned there were 5 pax involved in extracting the grafts from the donor and preparation work. I had another friend who did in my country who only had 2 techs to work on 3.5k grafts. My goodness, i am sure some grafts were misplaced somehow as we are all human. We get tired and bound to err. All in all, no effort has been spared to make sure the donor hair gets planted almost immediately after extraction. Also Dr Pat utilises the open technique whereby he, with help from an assitant dr, will cut the strip AROUND the hairs, not just blindly across. I am not saying that other doctors do not care about transection but as far as i know, transection rate has been always very low when it comes to Doc Pat

After the surgery, i had a short chat with him, and he was pleased he could extract 3150 grafts and he was confident the transection rate was extremely low.

3) I am just post op 1 month and i have not even a glimpse of how i will look like one year down the road but i second NUA's feelings. No matter how it turns out, i know i have done all i could in my situation :)

NUA, happy growth and hopefully, me too :)

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

NotUrAvg,

First of all, let me congratulate you on your long awaited hair transplant surgery. Taking control of one's hair loss is a very empowering and life-changing experience!

Thanks for sharing your detailed experience with Dr.Pathomvanich. I'm glad to know that this forum has brought you some peace of mind. That's what we're here for.

I look forward to following your progress over the coming months.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hey David and Blake, thanks for your words of encouragement and being great moderators. Wb280, my bro, thanks for filling in the gaps that I left out about my experience with Dr. Path. I was somewhere on the moon during my surgery, so I wasn't aware of the details that went on, so I'm glad you kept tabs and are able to share how his staff works intraoperatively. As far as density, I think we were aiming around 40-50, but I'm not positive. I'll double check with Dr. Path when I see him in a week or so.

I know this has been kind of addressed in other forums, and wb even asked it recently, but I am noticing diffuse growth of my transplants at 11 days post op, giving me a small buzzed peach fuzz growth. This is normal and will most likely be lost/shed in the next 2-4 weeks, right? Is there a small chance that this may continue to grow. Also even if they shed, is the immediate post-operative growth of grafts a prognostic indicator of how well they will grow when they come in permanently at 3-5 months?

From what I understand, a density of 40-50 should just about give you the illusion of a full head of hair. That is excellent! I've read nothing but great things about him.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

NUA bro, no worries mate I was actually quite sober during the whole op! Did I even mention that the whole op was virtually painless, omg, I was so ready for hellish pain!

And to add on to your question, I had similar experience! I m one month post op in fact I just had my hair cut today... The barber who is experienced in cutting ht goers hair was commenting on the growth I had at one month. I reckon it's not common but I m not getting over excited.. Still prepared to see them go away any time!

NUA how's your scar btw?

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

WB, the scar itself looks very clean and I am positive it will heal beautifully. But like you, I have really bad shock loss at the donor site. (I'll try to post some pics). I have kept my hair in the back longer than it's ever been, and though the scar may not be visible I think you can make out the shock loss. I'm used to being insecure about the happenings on my head, so I'm taking it in good stride. I just pray that hair grows back. Since you have such good recipient growth, maybe you can convince Dr. Path to transplant some of your recipient hair back to your donor site. hahaha, you'd be a pioneer!

Hi NUA,

It seems that ur surgery was on 5 of Jul. I was there too for consultaion and had my repair surgery on 13 of Jul.

Dr. Path and his staff did a great job in repairing my 1st ht.

Try Fast Grow ethnic hair growth enhancer capsules to lessen the effect of shock loss.

I have taken them for 4 days, and I feel that my hair today is better slightly than the previous days.

Hey Purplesky,

Thanks for the advice. Where can I pick up 'fast grow ethnic hair growth enhancer capsules'? Is that the whole name, or is it simply "Fast Grow"?

Like you I have so far been very pleased with my experience with Dr. Path. I'm seeing him tomorrow actually for my last visit before I head back to the US =(

Hi NUA,

you're most welcome, yes this is the full name and it's by exotic allure company. there are many fast grow brands but we think this is the best one. its effect is still minimal but better than nothing.

my pharmacist friend bought me these capsules from the internet.

i tried some french pills called inversion femme for 4 months and they helped in reducing the effect of shock loss on my hair. this is from my own experience.

i think the company produced ones for men too.

i will write about my hts and and how i partially managed to control my shock loss.

wish you a safe trip to your home and great result with your ht.