Is this Possible? 4000 FUE?

I've been roaming around several hairtransplant sites, in serious consideration of a hair transplant, and I have come upon some clinics in Turkey that claim they can do an FUE 4000-5000 in a 2 day session.

I can't help being amazed, since from what I've researched, though there are several renowned clinics in the US and Europe that can do Strip method (FUSS/FUT) of 4000-5000 in one session, I've never come upon 4000-5000 FUE. It seemed that the consensus here at hair-transplant-network was at most 1500 in one session.

Yet, not only are there several Turkish clinics that claim to do so (though not TransMed on the approved list here), I've even seen several posting of people claiming to have received such. There's even one guy who is over a year, and whose results seem really tempting (though, admittedly, he has curly hair, which helps, I guess.)

So my question is, to hair transplant gurus, and hopefully doctors who visit these forums too: Is it really possible to do 4000-5000 FUE?? Is it feasible? if it is are there no side-effects?? Is there a reason why US clinics never mention such FUE-megasessions?? And then what is the feasible maximum of a FUE session??

Please help. I am really tempted by these clinics, yet I fear there is something strange that it's only happening in Turkey (though here in Europe, going to Turkey for a cheap hair transplant does seem to be happening a lot). And if there's something wrong, I also feel compelled to warn others on the site, to avoid them being tricked into dangerous side effects or possibly ruineous results and wasted money!

All answers would be dearly appreciated!

Edited by JBE

Is a 4000 FUE session in 2 days possible ? Sure, no problem.

You can come over to my house and you won't even have to go to Turkey!

We can do the operation in my bathroom.

I even made my own 5mm custom punch tool from some spare parts hanging around in the garage, and I can't wait to have a human lab rat to test it out on.

BTW, I only charge 5 cents per graft, just enough for me and my buddies to have some beer money for the weekend. You'll have to sign a waiver form that states the grafts may not grow due to YOUR physiology, but don't worry because that hardly ever happens to anybody that walks thru my door.

Oh wait, what's that -- you've decided on that clinic in Turkey ? Wow, I don't think their service will be too much better than what I have to offer you. :D

Edited by EpilepticSceptic

JBE,

I definitely do not want to discredit this clinic in any manner (especially because I don't know which one it actually is), but remember that the field of hair restoration is filled with "miracle cures" that usually do not deliver on their promises. What I mean is that you should probably approach something that seems "too good to be true" with cautious optimism and do as much research as possible.

In my opinion, 4,000-5,000 follicular units all taken via follicular unit extraction (and not using body hair units) seems extreme. My biggest fear would be that many of these grafts may be taken from outside of the universal safe zone, and that scarring could become an issue with so many grafts extracted.

Please, feel free to share as much information and ask as many questions as possible. Remember too that this is simply my cautious opinion, and other members (and recommended physicians) may feel differently. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

ES, as usual, thats a funny one! ha!

but i think u got your mesage conveyed!

Jokes aside, i concur with what future ht doc said, 4-5k via FUE seems extreme. As u can find from the abundace of relevant information in this forum ( which i did ), even for the best doctors, i reckon its tough to extract 4-5k grafts.

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Is HALF that even possible in a 2 day period? Without 2 doctors working at the same time?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Is a 4000 FUE session in 2 days possible ? Sure, no problem.

You can come over to my house and you won't even have to go to Turkey!

We can do the operation in my bathroom.

I even made my own 5mm custom punch tool from some spare parts hanging around in the garage, and I can't wait to have a human lab rat to test it out on.

BTW, I only charge 5 cents per graft, just enough for me and my buddies to have some beer money for the weekend. You'll have to sign a waiver form that states the grafts may not grow due to YOUR physiology, but don't worry because that hardly ever happens to anybody that walks thru my door.

Oh wait, what's that -- you've decided on that clinic in Turkey ? Wow, I don't think their service will be too much better than what I have to offer you. :D

Cant you be serious about anything?, he's asked a serious question!

Well I know someone who has had around 8k via fue and it looks mint!

He didnt have this done in 2 days though, this is over 7 surgeries and 3 years.

I had 1544 fue in one day, but it took all day, about 12 or so hours.

TBH I dont know anything about E.S or who his clinic is.

I've seen fue to match strip, fue is the future imho, i'm the opposite of E.S in this respect, I hate strip, its basically cutting a steak out of the back of your head, I hate it.

I'm not going to champion the clinic where I got repaired though, I like alot of the doctors on here, even those who do strip only.

I like answering peoples questions as best I can without taking the mick out of them.

Interesting. I would tend to avoid but if they say they can, I wanna see.

I suggest going along with the commonly banded around mantra -and IMO, a false assumption, but nevertheless, it's what they tell us and unless u want eleptic's backyard job, better to heed- that FUE suits small sessions ((for clinics, and esp. docs)) and plan to have 5-7 sessions over a 5-8 year period. Your choice of FUE is excellent. As it gives you options when/if drugs stop along with many other benefits

In regard so the clinics you speak of. If they are pushing the envelope sure, lets see.

I think we are talking a tech/mech approach. (technicians and machines)

1) I don't think a doc would do this (see below)

2) what kind of punch? (rotary drill, Feller punch, neograft?, manual- the last I would like to see and I see no reason why techs can't be trained in this delicate art)

Why a doc wouldn't do it.

No doc I know would want to sit next to you, back bent, magnifying eyes clipped for the time needed to safely drill out 2000 extractions a day. Remember you want them to be doing it day in, day out or else they wouldn't have the skill, right.

@E.S. I would usually laugh away such suggestions, but its not just one clinic but several in Turkey that claim they do it, and already quite a number of people have done it which surprised me a lot.

@scar5. One clinic in Ankara says the Doc, named Saldar(?), does only hand punching. What made my eyes fall out was a posting that said he extracted a little over 3000 in one day. The other two clinics I've heard of in Istanbul use machines, but despite my inquiries, I haven't received any info on which machine they use. It seems there are a lot of non-US companies that are also making and marketing FUE machines, which makes it hard to track.

@TC17 Wow. Dr. Feriduni did over 3000 FUE in one day. As he is in Belgium, I've been looking intensely at his site, and was impressed by his work. So I guess, techinically, even 3000 is possible in a day, if the donor density is there. Gees ...

What I still can't figure is, are these Turkish clinics just being reckless and unethical or are they justfiably just risk-taking and more adventurous. I know in the old days, they said 4000 FU implatations via FUT/FUSS wasn't even possible, but then it happened and now is mainstream ... so I couldn't dismiss it out right, or disuade others who were going for it.

I was hoping I could receive some more consensus opinion here to relay to others, but I guess, if Dr. Feriduni can do it, it is technically possible in the right conditions ..... hew.

Sparky that's because E.S is pretty much anti fue that is well known. He also likes to cheerlead his clinic as well and loves to make blanket statements.

Anouar,

Saying I like to make blanket statements is YOU making a blanket statement about me!

And besides, WHERE did I ever say i was "anti-FUE" ? I am NOT anti-FUE, but I am "anti-being a LAB RAT" for docs/clinics who can only show me a few well documented success stories. I'm the type of sceptic who needs to see MANY well documented successful outcomes before paying to have some doctor operate on my head -- period !!! In other words, YOU GUYS can be the lab rats and then once I see enough of you have made out well then (and ONLY then) will I consider it.

And I am not cheerleading for my clinic (H & W) ! How could I possibly cheerlead for them when I haven't even yet seen what MY results will be ?

As of now my opinion of FUE is that it is very useful as an "adjunct" to strip surgery, meaning that once you are stripped out then FUE may be a good way to get additional grafts, and also for filling in bad scars and softening hairlines.

Don't forget that I am not new to this debate. I turned down a free 2000 FUE surgery at DHI in 2005. MANY back then on the HLH forum considered them to be doing top notch work, and there were also some impressive photos of good outcomes. The PROBLEM in my eyes was that there were too few cases for review, and they were also just 1 year max post-op. MANY on the HLH forum thought I was the luckiest guy in the world, and now looking back I wonder how many of those were actually DHI shills !!! Had I just trusted their opinions and listened to them without keeping a skeptical eye I am 110% certain that I would be a miserable, butchered, donor depleted REPAIR PATIENT today, and all of the anonymous forum members who had such high praise for DHI would be long gone from the scene! So you see folks, it took TIME for the disgruntled ARMY of hacked-up DHI patients to manifest. And this IMO is the problem with all of these new FUE docs/clinics who seem to be doing great consistent work on a few patients -- not enough TIME has yet transpired to know for sure anything about them! Remember peeps, TODAY'S top docs could very well be TOMORROW'S hacks & quacks; it has happened before on the forums (this one included), and it will most certainly happen again -- the only thing standing in the way is TIME! With H & W there was ALOT of time to see if they were for real or not, and that is why I went with them. Call me a cheerleader if you like, but to me it was just prudent research and hardened skepticism that led me to their door.

I have also been to visit Dr. Cole's office and was thoroughly unimpressed with what I saw. And then you have the whole Armani debacle! For those of you green newbies here who think you know so much about FUE, let me remind you that Armani was IMMENSELY popular back in 2005 as one of the top 3 docs in the world. MANY had COMPLETE trust in him and his skills. Now look at how many peeps he has hacked up with his BS FUE megasessions !!! Do YOU think for a second this doctor lacked any skill in performing HTs ? Why then does he have a number of very impressive FUE success stories, and so many others that FAILED ? Is he bi-polar, good on some days and bad on others ?

I'm not the type to just sit around on a forum and listen to what other people have to say about this or that clinic or technique -- I need physical, tangible PROOF, and the more the better! The PROOF is not yet there to satisfy me with FUE. Once I see a clinic with 50 or more HD videos posted of successful 3000+ graft FUE sugerys, then I will start to consider it.

It's 2010 and FUE has been around for many years now, so you'd think (if the technique itself wasn't hit & miss) this should have happened by now.

Edited by EpilepticSceptic