Any experience with oral minoxidil

NotUrAvg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think just about anyone would be fine on 5 to 10 mg. daily. The recommended dose to control blood pressure is 40 to 100 mg. daily, so 10 mg is just a drop in the bucket.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Since topical is twice daily I do oral daily.

In the link I posted above it stated:

"In the original articles on minoxidil therapy it was said that the folks

who had the best hair growth from topical minoxidil had serum levels

equivalent to a 5mg oral dose."

Which to me means taking 5 mg. daily is equivalent to 2% topical twice daily. To get to 5% topical equivalent orally, it comes out to 12.5mg. twice daily. I am currently on 5mg twice daily. I see my doc next week and am getting it changed to 10mg. twice daily. I have chronic high blood pressure anyways so I can use the extra help in that department too :D

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Facial swelling and excess body hair; I already have experienced mild facial bloating from the topical and apparently the oral is supposed to be worse for this.

The other complication is getting a script for it here in OZ, I have asked two doctors for a prescription and both have refused.

I am even thinking of seeing Dr Knudsen just to see if he will write me a script.

Does anyone in Australia have a doctor who prescribes it to them for hair loss or would be willing to?

I haven't had one single side effect from the oral minoxidil. I've now been on it 10 weeks and I am noticing a good bit of regrowth all the way down the the hairline. Some of the hairs are terminal hairs too:D

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

im on 5mg every morn and i even use the topical at nights.....

no sides as of yet? been taking for nearly 2 weeks

in regards to facial puffy its only in the mornings when i first wake up but then im prob like that any way?

but so far all good hoepfully get some good growth in a month or 2 who knows?

My doctor told me that side effects from such a low dose, especially in younger people, is rare. I asked him last week about 10 mg. twice a day and he said that he rarely goes over 10 mg. because it's such a strong medication.

I'm trying to grow all I can while I save for a procedure of 2000-3000 with Dr. Cooley to get my hairline where I want it and go through the front half. Propecia and genetics have spared my crown and vertex so far.

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Julius, Dr Pat defn does online consultations ( as in his assistant Dr Oravan who is very experienced ). However, if u are talking abt oral minox, i reckon it might be harder. Ultimately its something for consumption so i would think he would prefer to see u if i m not wrong.

Do email to Dr Oravan, i am sure she would be pleased to help :)

best of luck!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

The plasma half-life of the parent compound is 4.2 hours, but its biological effect is known to be much longer as its duration of action can be up to 24 hours (Gottlieb et al. 1972).

The onset of action is 30 to 60 minutes, with a duration of twelve to eighteen hours.

The drug has a plasma disappearance half-life of 4.2 hours despite a duration of action of approximately 24 hours

no i dnt use a dioretic should i be?????

i beleive its side effects from such a low dose doesnt warrant a dioretic

please correct me if im wrong

My doctor told me he never prescribes a diuretic with 10 mg. or less. He said that only elderly people or someone with impaired kidneys might need a diuretic on such a low dose.

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

My sister is taking a minoxidil tablet usp 10mg plus quarter of a proscar tablet daily i would really like to know if this is a safe combination or not . She actually first took oral minoxidil for a 3 month spell and my legs felt quite lifeless this lasted a week and then back to normal . I noticed She was starting to get terrible bags under my eyes as well but the worst bit is how week her left arm had become so i told her to stopped taking the minoxidil for about a month .

With what you're describing, it sounds like 10 mg. *may* be dropping her blood pressure too much. Tell her to try 5 mg. That is what Dr. Pathomvanich recommends when he prescribes it.

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

• 1 month later...

I have just started on 2.5mg once daily and have experienced some minor swelling around the lips

I am going to break it up to 1.25mg twice daily and see how it goes

I think any dose should be taken twice daily because of the SPEED of absorption affecting blood and tissue levels and thus the possibility of an adverse reaction.

is finesteride ok for females? i didnt think it was?:confused:

i take 5mg with my breakfast no sides yet but i think splitting this dose may be better 2.5mg am 2.5mg pm!!

julius may i ask where you get your loniton from and i f you had difficulty getting it prescribed for hair loss?

im not aware of any puffyness

Edited by j1j9j85

is finesteride ok for females? i didnt think it was?:confused:

I was thinking the same thing. I think I read about small studies being carried out on women taking finasteride but I don't recall it being given as a treatment in day-to-day hair loss cases.

I "think" they sometimes let women try it when they are not planning any more children. I recall seeing it given to women who are diagnosed with hereditary hair loss.

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

I "think" they sometimes let women try it when they are not planning any more children. I recall seeing it given to women who are diagnosed with hereditary hair loss.

That sounds about right. I don't think finasteride is harmful to a woman, per se. But it's very damaging to a male fetus if the woman conceives.