Any experience with oral minoxidil

NotUrAvg

From what I was told NO Finasteride is NOT approved by the FDA for use in Women. However, it is because of exactly what was said above about child bearing.

I am 39 and had to prove the "factory is closed" for having children before my Dr. would write me a prescription. I am too early on to tell if it is helping stabilize hair loss. :)

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dear all, i so grateful finding this thread. i was given oral minoxidil by a derm doctor in June for one month supply. he claimed gave me 1 mg mino. after 1 month ,i hv bad shedding. and i went to pharmacy bought the 5mg tablet, split into 4. 1.25 mg each. taken it for 4 months plus. shedding stop after 2nd months. in fact i was having no hair fall at whole during that 4 months. but things start went wrong again, in end Oct. i think i started to lose all the hair gained from minoxidil. i suspect the doc in fact gave me 5mg pill. not 1 mg. so all the 1.25 mg i take all these is not effective at all.

so i decide to double the dose to 2.5 mg. after 1 month taken, shedding happen again. which i feel glad ,cos mean it effective again. but right till now ,shedding still happen. i depressed. this time the shedding is much longer than i expected ,almost from week 4-8.

i think i gonna maintain the 2.5 mg for another 2 months. before consider 5mg dose daily.

anyone hv any thought>? in fact ,i felt quite tired these day. not sure is it the oral minoxidil effect. i afraid 5mg ll be too much and experience another round of shedding.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the information and research in this post - really helped sum up the pros and cons.

Have noticed Loniten is available very cheaply from several online pharmacy places (I use Inhouse). Am planning to start 2.5mg twice daily.

• 3 years later...

Johnny,

What type of updates were you looking for? Oral minoxidil is a serious anti-hypertensive medication; so serious, in fact, that most who use it must also take a secondary medication to prevent fluid accumulation and potential kidney damage. Due to the serious safety profile, it is not approved for the treatment of androgenic alopecia. In fact, outside of refractory hypertension, it is not used much period.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Johnny,

What type of updates were you looking for? Oral minoxidil is a serious anti-hypertensive medication; so serious, in fact, that most who use it must also take a secondary medication to prevent fluid accumulation and potential kidney damage. Due to the serious safety profile, it is not approved for the treatment of androgenic alopecia. In fact, outside of refractory hypertension, it is not used much period.

Well futere, i guess i was hopeing that those 2 guys who have used it could report major growth at a Low dose like 2,5 mg 2 times a Day or something. But in reallity i know that the chances are slim.

But Then i dont get why a dr. So recommended, in Thailand have been given it to patient for like 20 yrs?

• 1 year later...

*PLZ read

I had asked my GP about trying to switch from my daily hypertension medication (10mg lisinoptil with a built in diuretic) to Minoxidil 5mg to not only combat my elevated blood pressure but help my hair wich had been receding for the last few years and had become a concern to me (I'm 35).

I stated by taking 5mg minoxidil and maintaining my regular Lisinopril. I monitor my BP about 8 times per day to make sure they aren't interacting too hard. i always took the meds in the morning. I started noticing on certain days that after laying on the couch watching a movie at night before bed, I'd check my pressure and it would be dangerously low. 90/40 on more than 1 occasion. That's serious danger. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND anyone on this med get a BP monitor and check religiously. The REAL side effects of Minoxidil arent a uni-brow or back hair, they are things like liaisons on your heart or kidneys, things you can't see without a EKG or CAT scan. SERIOUS STUFF! BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

After the low bp I had tried combining 2.5mg Minox with Lisinopril i maintained that for most of the year that I was on Minoxidoil. i also tried minox alone but to treat hypertension it did not have a lasting effect and gave very many irregular heartbeats. After 4-6 hours my bp almost seemed higher than normal.

Due to the monthly/bi monthly shed periods I felt it wasn't wort the risk of further internal damage so I ceased use completely. A year after stopping minoxidil it's fair to say it has killed about 20% of my prior to treament growth, meaning my hair has never looked thinner, lots of loss on top and in the frontal section of forehead. That's what it ate up most, the frontal hair line after stopping. Like I said, I've been off for a year now and have had the heaviest shedding from month 8-12. These days even just running my fingers through my hair I get 6-8 hairs that just fall out. Never in my past has my hair been so frail, scarce and patchy like it is now.

I will say it works though, the thing is YOU WILL HAVE TO TAKE IT FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE or you will go through a terrible final shed leaving you much worse than when you started.

I still have a 3 months supply so I'm considering 2.5mg twice a week, again, I understand now I'd have to be doing this for life so limiting intake *might* work for me. I'm still unsure if I want to get back on the oral menox but man it has TORN my hair line up bad after being off for a year and I kinda feel like it's the only thing that will help me aesthetically. As far as internal organs go, I'm hoping that low of a dose would help the LOSS of hair, maybe even if it doesnt grow new growth like a full strength dose that would be fine, i'm almost affraid this final shed is never going to end. Maintaining proper organ functions is most important overall though so people PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE INTERNAL RISKS THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS. ESPECIALLY TO YOUR HEARTS CONDITIONS AND FUNCTIONS, KIDNEY AND LIVER CYSTS, STUFF LIKE THAT. the sides are way deeper than a puffy face.

MONITOR YOUR BP MULTIPLE TIMES DAILY WHILE GETTING ACCLIMATED TO ORAL MINOXIDIL OR YOU COULD DIE IN YOUR SLEEP WITH AS LITTLE AS 5MG TAKEN RIGHT BEFORE BED. IT'S A SERIOUS DRUG.

Also to note, as of recent I tried 5000mg biotin supplements while off oral Minox and that gave me a more excessive shed. Yikes, so I'd advise against hair and nail supps, at least for me that biotin shed was harsh with no regrowth. Now my only regimen is an Omega 3 supplement and a multivitamin.. Morning and shower time hair loss has reduced by about 50% but I'm still loosinig. Hair loss sucks, in my opinion there is no healthy way to restore hair which seems sad but true (enter Metallica song)

• 5 years later...