need to be careful

zoran

little background: im 26 adding to nw 6, i had strip procedure 1800 grafts to the third front 2 years ago and still the front is thin and i keep losing hair. tried propecia before and stop it because testicles pain that i had from it. i send dr hasson pictures and he said that he can harvest probably another 1500 grafts from my donor. actually i think ive another 2000-3000 grafts left whic is certainlly not enough (because im on my way to nw 7 soon) but this is one option, so second option i was thinking to go to dr umar and use body beard and traditional hair, give up the crown, make fue to scar and low down the hairline, and to get to ilusion of full hair from front by going very short hair. so my question is should i use all my donor by strip and take a big risk for future or should i give up long hair and go for the other option?

or there is a third option?

Hi zoran

That is a dilemna which i am afraid every one going under the knife will face at some point or the other. I havent yet got a hair transplant and am on the fence with this. For all the pcitures i see on this forum and some others, the hairline after the transplant even in the best of hands always looks either a little thin or a little pluggy..unfortunately, that is what the reality of hair transplants is..it gives you an illusion and that is a subjective term...for you, i would recommend a long term strategy....i think after a hair transplant, shorter hair cut will always look better.having said that you have to be cvareful about how short you can go with the scar,,,i would recommend talking to surgeons who can FUE the scar and ask them how short you can go...please dont go chasing dense hairlines as you will never be satisfied and will be wasting hair...

• 3 weeks later...
Hi zoran

That is a dilemna which i am afraid every one going under the knife will face at some point or the other. I havent yet got a hair transplant and am on the fence with this. For all the pcitures i see on this forum and some others, the hairline after the transplant even in the best of hands always looks either a little thin or a little pluggy..unfortunately, that is what the reality of hair transplants is..it gives you an illusion and that is a subjective term...for you, i would recommend a long term strategy....i think after a hair transplant, shorter hair cut will always look better.having said that you have to be cvareful about how short you can go with the scar,,,i would recommend talking to surgeons who can FUE the scar and ask them how short you can go...please dont go chasing dense hairlines as you will never be satisfied and will be wasting hair...

D,

Have you met any HT patients yet that went thru a URFUT megasession ? I'm asking because you can't just judge results by photos alone. Sometimes they look worse in person, and sometimes they look considerably better. Actually, HD video gives IMO a MUCH more realistic view of what HT results look like in person. What I saw on video and what I saw in person looked the same, only more impressive in person.

None of the H & W patients I met in person have "pluggy" hairlines. Jotronic, who was a NW6 repair patient, is definitely thinner than some of the other homerun cases I've seen, but I still wouldn't describe it as anywhere close to "pluggy". Had I never needed a HT myself and never spent any time on forums researching the new techniques, running into Joe on the street would have just made me think "that dude still has his hair, but is just thinning a little." That's a hell of a lot better than being bald, and there are equivalents in nature to the thinning hair look. The star patient I met that day (who had 4200 grafts and similar loss level as myself) just blew me away and was nowhere even remotely close to "pluggy" looking or "thin" looking! The dude had a full, natural looking NW2 head of hair that made him look more like a 30 year old than a 42 year old. Yes, it wasn't Brad Pitt thick, but it DID NOT look like a hair transplant! It was the first time that I said WOW from seeing a HT, and it was the same for Doug who is a H & W patient, and also works the front desk. These 2 guys weren't ever heading to NW 6/7 territory because, like me, proscar has been working for them long term and they are older than the average HT patient today. They are, IMO, at less risk of aggressive and rapid future loss than guys in their 20s, or even 30s.

But yeah, any guy heading to NW5/6/7 territory in his 20s should probably be advised away from getting HTs -- at least not too quickly before exhausting all other options. I fear there will be many more stories in the future of guys who headed to NW7 by age 30, and now deeply regrets the HT he got when he was 22. No digs meant towards the OP for me saying this either, but I just think guys in their 20s should be the most careful about HTs.

Anyway, the point is that HT is a numbers game; if you got the numbers and the loss is stable, then you need less grafts and 4000 can be dense packed into a relatively small area. Thus, it is CRUCIAL to know you have pretty well arrested the loss; and IMO you have to be able to verify this over a long enough period of time if you truly expect your odds to be good of the HT being a successful venture for you! Part of planning the HT IMO is not just selecting the best doc to have your surgery with, but also knowing alot about your own characteristics as it applies to the many diverse aspects of what makes a "successful" HT. And these can be both mental and phychological. Then again, who am I to preach as I still remain yet another experiment that hasn't fulfilled itself as of yet.

I saw you mention in another post that you have a "risk taking" personality. Well, welcome to the club because that is exactly how I feel about myself! Even after all the research I have done, and all the time I spent planning this so pragmactially and conservatively, I STILL feel like I'm jumping out of an airplane for the first time not knowing with 100% certainty that the parachute will indeed open up! I'm 99.9% certain, but not 100%. You CANT be at the 1.7 month mark; and hence you are in a whole new domain of thought, feeling like some sort of crazy experiment!

It's pretty far out man, having a strip of flesh carved out of your head and having the hair redistributed. You have to be a risk taking personality to endeavor into this arena in the first place. :cool:

Edited by EpilepticSceptic

Guys,

Please allow me to share my experience here. Honestly, I have not seen what I would call "pluggy" hairlines from any of our recommended docs. I have seen and have personally experienced poor yield leading to a thin hairline. However, the hair the grew looked completely natural. I just looked like a less balding version of myself post-transplant.

In fact, while I was not satisfied with my growth and returned for a second procedure, I received several unsolicited compliments from people who had no idea what I'd done and couldn't put their finger on exactly what had improved.

I found that very encouraging because I had been on the fence as well and did feel that it took something of a leap of faith to make that final decision.

I do agree that very dense hairlines are not an option for most of us but I would argue that they are not entirely necessary for a satisfactory result.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Es and TTP,

By saying pluggy, i did not mean dolls hair from Micro and mini grafts.. In fact, i dont give any consideration to those cases and it makes no sense to include them in our expecations from doctors in this forum

what i meant was scalp showing in diff areas even after dense packing in the hairline. Maybe it is the patient charactersitics or whatever and i dont want to post any examples here in order to respect their privacy. I have seen quite a few and i am sure you guys have as well. If fact, TTP has experienced it himself and looks like knows what i am talking about...On a 30 year old, i dont think a thin hairline or half head of hair is any better off than being bald...It is easy for people to say that atleast some hair is better than no hair..but i dont buy that explanation..on the other hand, some one who is 45+ might be able to get away with that but we are trying to come with a solution for a 26 year old in this case.

Quite often, i see young guys with thin hairlines in my day to day life and never see a chick ( i mention chicks here coz that is what an average male cares for ) say wow look at that thin hairline...that looks hot..but i have seen a lot of chicks say wow..that bald guy looks hot...may times, guys who get a thin hairline result from a HT keep chasing that elusive dense hairline which might be very diffcult to achieve...as MPB progresses...please check Bills hairline after his third HT when you get a moment...does that look nice and thick after undergoing 3 procedures with quality surgeons..mind you, after getting a 4th HT, i must say it looks awesome now..but how many patients have the patience or money to get 4 Ht's...

In case of the HT, no amount of research is enough..end of the day it is a gamble and you can control only so much...that is why it is strongly recommended that every HT patient go bald for atleast 3 mos. and see how they feel....if they feel like a freak, then the mind is clear to go for the HT without any regrets coz that is the only solution left...however, even if there is a 1 in 100 chance of looking half decent, they you have hit the jackpot right there...i am hiding under concealers right now and have a gut feeling that i will look aweful bald...but will def shave it off before getting a HT and who knows....

D,

I think you still need to see some patients in person. Sometimes pictures can be very unflattering.

Case in point, go to this link: Hair Transplant Photos Hair Transplant Gallery - Hasson & Wong. Sessions: 1. Grafts: 4200

This is the star patient I met at the clinic. Look at the pics where he has gel in the hair. Yes, this dude's hairline still has thinning going on, and you can still see his scalp all over his head if you are standing directly over it (with the gel in). He doesn't have the density of a Brad Pitt or George Clooney, but he doesn't need it!

In his pics without the gel some might say "man, that hairdo looks kind of weird or wiggish"; but in person it just looks natural. This dude looks pretty damn hip and cool in person, and I don't get the feeling that too many chicks are upset that he doesn't have Brad Pitt's hair density. It's hard to even imagine that he looked like that balding guy before in those pre-op pics!

Look at his before pics and tell me that this HT wasn't a MAJOR improvement on his looks ? It's the facial framing that really makes the biggest impact on the right candidate, not the hair density. I didn't really fully understand this until I met patients in person.

Granted, this patient has a 5 star result and not everyone can expect an outcome this good. But to say that his hair is only fit for a 40+ year old is a joke IMO.

Here's one more case that really impresses me. He's a Dr. Feller patient.

Hair Restoration Site for Arockstarwannabe

To me this is a great example of how hair characteristics and hair style can be used to create a major improvement in the person's overall look and perception.

Look at his final post "GOT MY MOJO BACK". Tell me that chicks are going to have a problem because you can see his scalp thru the hair ? Look at his pre-op pics and tell me that the improvement isn't night and day ?

And this patient is not 1 out of a million either, there are many more like him who don't bother posting results on HT forums. For the right candidates a modern URFUT HT can be phenomenal!

Hi ES

That truly is an awesome result from H&W. Results like these keep me motivated to do more research with an open mind and you are right.. i need to see more people in person to get more confident and that is going to be my POA

On the other hand, that result from Dr. Feller at 11 mos. is exactly what i am scared of and is exactly what i was talking about when i mentioned thin and see through hairline...In my opinion, that result would be no better than being bald for somebody in late 20's and early to mid 30's...however, it might look good on a 45+ year old...however, the result in his final post does look awesome and it is amazing that he had good growth after 12 mos. unless he has concealers in the picture.

Unfortunately, i have seen a lot of final results like the 11 mo. mark for me to be super confident.

As far as brad pitt hair, i dont think that is necessary to look good......but see thru hairline is def not cool...

BTW, i hope that you will too get a harline like that...you have done all the possible research and deserve the best..

Edited by Danielkiwi

ES, you give some outstanding advice in your first post. Don't jump on the HT bandwagon until you've established a pattern. And also waiting at least until your late 20's or early 30's helps.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

i've been going bald for 3 years and hated it, i have big ears and the bald head and the big ears change my appearence completley, and i've become from handsome man to ok minus, but the big problam was my self confidence and that was the point when i decided to go for ht. now i look in the mirror and see my baldness is progress and can't believe it. now the money ant time is not the big problem the big problem is that u need to think how u gonna look in the next 50 years, let's say i'm counting on for future hm, i've to save some donor for this and not wasting all. about the strip im not worried because first i did the hairtransplant because i didn't like the bald look so i don't wanna shave my head, and if i get to the worst point when i lost all my hair and stayed only with scar and thin front and still no solution for hairloss, i can tatto my scar, tatoo all my head or make fue to the scar and go with little hair on the sides (but that is the worst cases) and offcourse there is dr umar with unbellivable repairs.

the bottom line for me is to be on fance as much as i can and hope for honnest solution soon (which seem to become somtime soon) but to never give up!