Lasercomb - not a cure for MPB but a recovery aid post-HT?

My HT clinic (Transmed) has recommended the following post-operative treatments:

• Propecia
  • Saw Palmetto
  • Hairmax Laser Comb
  • Rogaine

Of these, I've tried Propecia on and off for 12 years - has possibly slowed my hairloss down - and Rogaine - limited effect. Saw Palmetto I have not tried, but plan to do so.

However, my question relates to the Laser Comb, which I realise has attracted plenty of scepticism. Transmed, obviously a recommended clinic by this site, says the Laser Comb "increases the blood flow to the skin around the hair which increases the amount of oxygen the hair receives" and "has been found to speed up recovery after surgery, prevent the original hairs from falling out, and increase the rate at which transplanted hairs grow".

Transmed does not claim it is a cure for MPB.

So, my question - is the Laser Comb worth using as a means of maintaining a healthy environment for hair, particularly after a HT?

Albion71,

I wish I could provide you with a definitive answer but there is still a lot of debate surrounding the benefits (if any) of using a laser comb.

After my second HT, my doctor recommended that I use a laser comb for its healing benefits and not for growth. He felt that, due to my poor yield the first time around, it would be in my best interest to do everything I could to tip the odds in my favor. I just couldn't swing the added expense and, since I hadn't read enough compelling arguments for its use, I decided not to do it.

You can find some very interesting discussions here on the forum and elsewhere on the web regarding this topic and you may also want to read the article, "Laser Treatment: is it Effective in Stopping Hair Loss?" at the Hair Loss Learning Center.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

After my second HT, my doctor recommended that I use a laser comb for its healing benefits and not for growth.

Thanks TakingThePlunge.

I think that is why Transmed recommend the laser comb, judging by the wording.

But like you, I think it's a lot to shell out on top of the ??? for the transplant itself - although I suppose you could say, why spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar?

However, I think I'm unlikely to invest because of the lack of conclusive evidence about its benefits.

I've been in two minds over trying a laser comb for sometime and still haven't bitten the bullet. One thing I would suggest is to give the Hairmax Laser Comb a miss - it's ridiculously over priced, you can find far cheaper models online (Ebay), most have the same strength, type, and number (generally more) of diodes.

Considering the scalp has loads of blood vessels I cant see how a laser can benefit you.Anyone who has cut their head will know how much it bleeds even from small cuts!.Its just more laser shillery.Dont take too much notice of OMG as he had a long argument a while ago on HLH with Dr Feller who blew his claims of the laser working out of the water.Its all about $$$$$$.Try and find the thread if you can over there.

HT 2006/7

Guys,

Laser therapy has been used as an aid to healing for years and many will swear by it. Additionally, many well respected hair restoration physicians feel that laser therapy may provide some benefit to men and women with thinning hair. If and how much benefit it can provide however, is questionable. There are examples out there, but to date, a general consensus has not been reached even among leading hair restoration physicians.

Best wishes,

Bill Seemiller

I read that it's about $100 per session and more doctors recommend at least 6 sessions. If you considering the laser product a sunk cost, then that represents 100% profit so no wonder some doctors would advocate it.

"During this process, additional nutrients and oxygen are provided to the scalp assisting the normal chemical processes performed by those cells, increasing overall blood circulation."

I would think that you can get the same benefit from exercise.

• 2 years later...

Ive heard from a couple multiple HT veterans that the Hairmax lasercomb really aided recovery time and riding of redness.

Could be an option for people who have to return to work quickly etc to use it to help rid themselves of lingering redness quicker. Helping the circulation and vascularity.

In response to the Laser Comb debate. In 2009 I had my first HT 1400 grafts. I was 25 at the time and on august 15th 2012 I will be getting another HT with roughly 1000 grafts. I am currently using EXT through hair club for a healthier scalp and have switched from propecia to avodart. I wasnt seeing the results i though i should of seen with propecia so my physician recommended trying avodart. ive been on it for about 2 months now and can notice significant changes to the feel of my hair. After this surgery I will probable get one more and call it quits for the time being. On this routine I am apart of a hair club deal that involves getting a free laser comb along with the surgery. This is my 2nd surgery with Hair club and I am quit pleased with the treatment I have received from them. I will be using the laser comb as recommended per the instructions. I will definitely let you all know if it does help or not.

After the 1st transplant I thought that was all i would need. I was wrong I was happy with the results as far as placement. but I expected way to much from the grafts to cover the particular area I was balding in. I am looking for 85% to 90% density on this surgery. the 3 would be to fill in crown and thicken up the front if I do choose a 3rd surgery. I go to the surgical office on wednesday for my procedure. I will ask for copies of my old pre op and post op photos as well as my current pre op and post op. you all will be able to see how EXT avodart have worked for myself. Soon we will see about the laser comb.

I agree that most hand held lasers like Hairmax are not powerful enough to have any major benefits as they only have 7,9 or max 12 lasers.

However, i bought a more powerful Raymax handheld (21 cold lasers) and can actually feel it in my scalp when using it, so it must be doing something.

I cannot say whether my HT recovery has been aided by it or not, but the redness in my scalp has nearly gone after 9 weeks, i've only had 1 pimple to date, no shock loss and some fantastic early growth.

My native hair (crown, sides and back 3rd) also appear thicker, healthier too.

Could be a massive coincidence, but i'm inclined to think it has helped recovery. I don't think it's helped re-grow any native hairs though.

I must note that using the laser was my choice and not a recommendation from my surgeon. Her opinion was 'it might help the skin heal, but don't use it until after 10 days post surgery, as there is enough blood flow there already in the initial stage'.

Basically, there's no need, but no harm.

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

• 4 weeks later...

In regards to the laser comb, I used to use a dinky one bought on eBay and it was a waste of money...i then was reading up about OMG and decided to build my own laser helmet..the whole thing costed me probably around 20 bucks. I used the helmet following the 2nd touch up procedure and was using it for about 2 weeks prior to it as well. I noticed my recovery time was almost cut in half from my first procedure. If that's is from the lasers itself or the fact that my scalp was used to the stress...who knows but I was happy with it.

Also I do feel my hair has been getting thicker and less hairs have been falling out. I have been using this for around 7 months now and whatever is going on it has allowed me to grow my hair out more without that thinning look..something I haven't been able to do in a long time. I am not saying that these lasers work like a charm, but what I have noticed so far has helped or at least prevented some loss so far for me