kid32

hello,

i am new to this site and i am just starting to use rogaine,

i know there is going to be shedding at first,

so my question, will all the hair that i shed grow back

and what time frame?

thanks.

kid32,

Welcome to our community. Shed hairs caused by Rogaine should all grow back thicker and stronger. However, if some of the miniaturized hairs aren't affected by Rogaine, they may still continue to thin and eventually fall out without growing back. It's recommended to use Rogaine for at least 4 months prior to determining if it's working.

Best wishes,

Bill Seemiller

Kid32,

I wanted to first thank you for updating your social profile! Second, I wanted to let you know that I've heard differing opinions on the amount of people who shed while using Minoxidil. Like Bill said, it's definitely not a "bad sign" (quite the opposite actually), but Dr. Rassman, a Coalition physician, states that in his long career with recommending Minoxidil he's only seen a small number of individuals who experience significant shedding. Personally, I've heard around 30% experience some sort of shed, but Dr. Rassman made it seem like a bit less. Regardless, please keep us updated on your situation! Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 2 weeks later...

Kid 32-

From my personal experience I did experience quite a bit of shedding, but now I have begun to regrow hairs that weren't there for several years!!!! (My temples haha!) But yes the hair I shed has begun to grow back (only been on Minoxidil for 2 months) The best advice I can give you is stick with it no matter how bad a shed you get...mine was reasonably bad, so I cut my hair shorter so people wouldn't notice it as much. But it's defiantly worth it!! Good luck and keep us posted with updates!

12/2017 - 3500 Grafts- Dr. Emrah Cinik

Follow my progress:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/188512-3500-scheduled-dr-cinik-12-12-a.html

• 2 months later...

If I were to take Proscar and or Rogaine and experienced a lot of shedding, then stopped taking them, would the hair grow back?

I'm scared to try Proscar or Rogaine because I'm nervous that the once the hair sheds, it won't grow back whether I stop or continue taking them. Also, I'm still unconvinced from photos that these drugs make any more than a minor difference.

garet...to answer your first question, yes the hairs lost due to the shed will grow back. However, if miniaturization is present in any one of those hairs, more than likely they will not regrow. I'm not saying they won't regrow if they're miniaturized, but the chances are slim.

As far as you saying that Proscar and Rogaine make a minor difference, it's different for everyone. Most people take one or both of these products to help PREVENT further loss. The liklihood of actually regrowing hair with Propecia/Proscar is slim but for some, it does cause regrowth. I say give them a try because sitting their and worrying about it certainly won't help things along. Good luck.

How many different shedding cycles can one expect? I've been on it for about four months now and up until about three weeks ago had noticeably thicker hair. My hair then began to shed again and looks just as bad as when I started. It really plays with your head.