Gents, I did a search first just to see if this has been covered. If it has, then apologies.:rolleyes:

You know how different people have different frontal hairlines, so one person might have that triangular 'widow's peak' (like Count Dracula!) or another might have a straightish 'rockabilly' hairline, or another where the temples go deep with the hairline coming out like a pier into the sea (like Bogart!).

When you have your transplant, can you 'discuss' the style of the hairline you want? (I don't know what is possible you see). I guess it's almost like 'designing' a new hairline for yourself :cool:(so is that possible?).

Regards, Campbell

Campbell,

Typically a patient will have some flexibility in the design of their new hairline but there are many factors involved. The density of your donor area and characteristics of your hair follicles combined with your degree of balding have all got to be taken into consideration when determining how many grafts you can dedicate to your hairline.

As I'm sure you already know, hair transplantation is a numbers game. Doctors must try to find a happy medium between the area to be covered and acceptable density. Most doctors will work with their patients to find a design that fulfills all these requirements and complements the face.

Hope that helps!

TTP

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Anyone would want a certain type of hair line but we can never be sure about how good it matches our facial features. One should be able to have some say but if your dealing with a good surgeon, he/she will have a good idea based on past experiences of what will go good with a person's facial features.

I personally would want a V-shaped hair line if I do an HT but since I have never had one before, I'd be thinking deeply about my Doc's recommendations. I also wouldn't know what kind of a hair line would go good with my facial features. Framing your face is one of the most important goals of an HT.

Campbell

Great question.

A hair transplant doctor first has to design a hairline that will stand the test of time, particularly if hair loss progresses. We all have rules of thumb and guidleines that we use to determine a safe level and basic shape for a hairline. My guidleines are related to a patient's head and face shape and landmarks that I can see and feel.

A natural hairline has irregularities and features such as widow's peaks and lateral peaks. I can add these on my own but do encourage patient input. If a patient asks for a design that I feel won't suit him or her, I will explain why. For example, a V-shaped hairline or a strong widow's peak doesn't usually suit a patient with a broad forehead or a round or squarish face. We can also use old photos to give us ideas for design but should not try to recreate a teenager's hairline. For example, if someone had a strong, low widow's peak when they were 20, we might add a more subtle, higher widow's peak to their transplanted hairline design.

In other words, experienced doctors don't need patient input for hairline design but welcome it, when offered.

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

This is probably one of the MOST important questions you should be asking.

The "technical" aspects of the HT must be understood, the limited donor supply, vs area to be covered.. they are very important too, but the hairline is what you and everyone else will be looking at the rest of your life.

I am waiting for my second HT to grow out, and improved density may change how I feel about the hairline. The problem is that the hairline is not anything that ever occured on my head through any stage of hairloss, and as such, it looks unnatural to me in some regards. Its not that it looks pluggy, just that there does not seem to be a harmony with the shape of my forehead.

When I was loosing hair (diffuse), I still had a "hairline" up until about 3-4 years prior to the procedure. The new hairline is a good 1-1.5cm higher than the receded hairline I had, so it does not fram the same way. THere are lots of men who have deep temple recession and thinning in the front. But not alot of men who have somewhat deep temple recession, frontal hairline recession, and overall thinning. Its hard to explain, but I have never seen this pattern on natural thinners. At least not my nationality.

I am always carefully styling the hair down over the hairline and temple areas to balance out the look to my eye. In the doctor's defense, given the thinness of the transplanted hair, had he gone any lower, it probably would have been a disaster. But the hairline does not match what I thought was possible with my original degree of loss. It is a hairline appropriate for a 55yo man.

That said, having reviewed the forums for a long time, most doctors have a "signature" hairline that they plant. Only a small handful of docs seem to stray far from their pattern (and of the ones who do, I more often see "what were they thinking" results.)

I would recommend trying to identify each doctors "signature" or "pattern" and then decide if you think that would look good on you. As opposed to going to a doctor with a differnt style and trying to conform them to your vision.

If you are a NW 4 or greater, I think what you should be hoping for is a hairline that is not detectable as a HT. Drop any illusions of the hairline looking "good". The new hairline, if you are lucky, will reverse you to some earlier stage of hairloss. What you dont want is some doctor's "creative vision" stamped on your forehead. Go for innocuous and natural.

Make no mistake, hairline design is no joke and even the best get it wrong more than they would have you believe. Lots of pictures dont show the posters face, and its very hard to gauge how things look in proportion to the face, from all angles.

Hi, I have before searched about this issue , and i found that hair replacement surgery can restore a full and natural look , and in addition you will have the option to design it.The hairline design is a primary procedure in the surgery.

(promotional link removed - read the terms of service you agreed to when you signed up)

• 1 year later...