I am considering having a HT done in the upcoming month and am trying to figure out if I should go with the strip method or FUE. I had a HT (1800 grafts) done abot 4 years ago and need a repair HT to correct the scar and also to add more to my hairline.

What are the pros and cons of each method?

Who are some good docs for the strip method?

Who are some good docs for the FUE method?

zach,

I'm not an expert of FUE but, as I understand it, the strip method offers the opportunity to harvest more grafts in one session and higher graft survival rate. It is also much more affordable than FUE.

The scars resulting from FUE are very tiny dots that are practically invisible and it is, therefore, very popular with guys who want to wear their hair tightly buzzed. However, under the right conditions, even a linear scar can be practically invisible when buzzed down to 1/4".

You're likely to get a lot of differing views on who's the best doctor. The bottom line is that you can't go wrong with any of the coalition docs.

Best of luck,

TTP

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

zach,

The bottom line is that you can't go wrong with any of the coalition docs.

Best of luck,

TTP

this is kinda a naive statement, every doc has unhappy patients , maybe by going to a top doc u have higher possibilities of success, still screw ups do happen, even big ones

The main benefit of FUE is to avoid a strip scar in the first place, but since you have already undergone a strip surgery, and need some repair work on your existing scar, it makes sense to opt for strip again. I don't know the ins and outs of your scar and what the problem is with it, but you'll probably need to re-open it during the repair anyway. If possible (and it isn't always), the repair will be done while taking the new donor strip.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Tsakalos,

As someone who had less than stellar results on his first HT by a top doc, I hardly consider myself naive. However, I would agree that perhaps my statement was a bit vague. No doctor can guarantee 100% satisfaction but I would choose someone from the coalition with documented, positive results and pages of patient feedback at my fingertips long before I would choose someone randomly out of the yellow pages. All the doctors here have had to prove that they are using the latest techniques and deliver consistent, successful results.

Thank you for encouraging me to clarify my original statement!

TTP

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I am thinking about going with the strip again and have to old one cut out so it can be redone. I do like to cut my hair really short so I am hoping the new doctor can do a better job with the suture. I have been told my head is not very elastic so I can only do 800-1000 grafts for my second HT. Does this mean this could be my last using the strip method? Overall I probably need to add about 4000 grafts to get full coverage.

My scalp was about as loose as a shar pei so I haven't had to worry about that but lots of guys have had success increasing their yield with scalp stretching exercises. Here's a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOQX_WyLosA to a video by Jotronic at Hasson & Wong demonstrating how they are performed.

I think most on this forum will tell you that when it comes to choosing a top doc, what it boils down to is their results what you are most happy with.

To be honest with you, most of the coalition docs on here have impressed me quite a bit. The wisest thing IMO is to consider a few doctors that catch your eye, then schedule a consult with each. I know/have heard most of the docs on here can do online consults if you are not able to appear in person.

If you want a recomendation, i would check out Dr.Arocha. I've yet to have a surgery with him, as i am scheduling my HT with him this October, but i was SUPREMELY impressed with his post op donor scars. I think they are the best i have seen from any doctor on this or any other forum. Not to mention, he also went to school for art and admits to it having a certain influence on how he approaches each of his patients. I would definitely check him out!

But there are many other amazing docs here. Hasson and Wong and Dr. Feller are a few other among my favorites. Just take your time, weigh the options, and do what you feels fit.

As always, i wish the best of luck to you and many others!!!

-Empty Area

Edited by Empty Area

I think that TTP and Tsakalos both have correct points. Particularly with regard to the pros and cons of FUE vs Strip by TTP and their comments that nobody can make every patient happy. The best preparation by a patient is to meet the doc, not a consultant, prior to surgery and make sure that both are on the same field as to a treatment plan, alternatives, risks and complications, as well as expected but not guaranteed results.

As to Zach's case. You may wish to clarify with your doctor. I can't imagine that you can only get 800 grafts out of your head by a strip procedure.... Even in tight scalps we can almost always get 1500 or more. And scalp exercises do work. Also, it may just be the photography, but I think you need a pretty good packing of your frontal 1/3 to see a significant change.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians