Sun Protection Post-Surgery

I'm contemplating a strip procedure in the next couple months. However, I'm a little bit concerned about the scheduling of my procedure as I'm a big beach bum, and don't want to ruin my summer constantly worrying about protecting my scalp from sun exposure. How big of a deal is this? What precautions will I need to take post-surgery and at what point will I no longer need to be overly worry about exposing my scalp to the sun?

Another concern of mine is being able to go out, particularly to the beach, without being self-conscious that the scabs/reddish-ness from my surgery is still noticeable. I do keep my hair pretty short (generally a two-guard buzzed), though I intend to grow it out a little bit in advance of my surgery. How long does it generally take before evidence of the surgery (besides the scar, of course) fades?

Thanks,

UMan

Ask your doc. For light skinned people, sunscreen and a hat should be fine. For dark complected people like me....there is much more risk of hyperpigmentation, so you may want to do this in the fall.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians