Seeking Advice on Choice Between Dr. Feller, Dr. Dorin, and Dr. True

I'm seeking advice on my decision between Dr. Feller, Dr. Dorin, and Dr. True for a relatively straightforward 2,500-3,000 graft strip procedure, my first. I've had in-person and online consultations with a number of doctors over the past few weeks and came away feeling the best about these two practices. However, I'm now having a lot of trouble deciding between the three doctors...

o Dr. Feller came across as very confident, perhaps even slightly (but not overly) aggressive. But clearly his work and results speaks for themselves, and he seems to have a lot of supporters with very few detractors, from what I can tell on these forums.

o Dr. Dorin came across as very thoughtful, perhaps erring on the side of being conservative, which is fine by me. He clearly doesn't have the presence on these forums that Dr. Feller and Dr. True have, I assume because he hasn't practiced as long, though he does have substantial experience. However, given the lack of testimonials and photos, it's a little tougher for me to get a sense of what kind of results he produces.

o Dr. True I actually didn't meet with, but I would likely have the choice between having him or Dr. Dorin perform my procedure should I choose their practice. It sounds like he would take a very similar approach as Dr. Dorin. I realize that the fact that Dr. True is more senior than Dr. Dorin doesn't mean that he's better at his craft or would produce better results for me, but it does seem to result in there being more testimonials and photos capturing his work, perhaps not as many as Dr. Feller, though.

I'd be grateful for any guidance here. I feel like at the end of the day I probably won't go wrong with any of these three, but given the cost and significance of this procedure, I want to make sure I'm making the best possible choice. Thanks in advance!

Best,

UMan

I have been researching in and around these forums for a long time and I can say, all of these surgeons are good at what they do. Try to meet previous patients and take a look at their website and try to find a patient with hair loss and characteristics which resemble yours - this will give you a good idea.

I think when you get to a point in your research and your choosing between 2-3 docs who all do great work and meet your needs, look at factors such as cost, travel, and just how much you personally like one doctor over the other. Each of your choices do great work, so really think about the little details and see who rises to the top.

Good Luck!

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks, guys. I ended up deciding to go with Dr. Dorin. Part of it had to do with scheduling availability and convenience. But beyond that, I think, to your point, that a lot of it ended up coming down to the personal and gut feel factor. Dr. Feller may have a ton of testimonials on here, and I'm sure he's excellent, but I felt Dr. Dorin was a bit more cautious and thoughtful in his recommended approach, which resonated with me since I'm on the younger side and will likely be looking at future procedures depending on how my hair loss progresses.

Moreover, Dr. Fellers administrative staff clearly didn't have its act together. If I were to point to one turning point in my decision, it would be when his office contact replied, in short order, first as if I was scheduling a consultation (when the e-mail chain made it clear that I was scheduling a procedure), and second repeating a procedure that was far off from what I had discussed with Dr. Feller (1,500 grafts when we had clearly reviewed a procedure with 2,500-3,000+ grafts, perhaps she pulled another patient's file). Definitely not the kind of meticulousness you want going to a procedure with this kind of cost and lasting impact!

As far as Dr. Dorin versus Dr. True, I reviewed some of their before-and-after photos side-by-side and it was clear that both are very competent. I'm sure if Dr. Dorin wasn't producing results that were competitive with those of Dr. True, they wouldn't have such a successful practice together.

We'll see how it goes. Wish me luck!

Best,

UMan

• 2 years later...

bill,

you seem to be the best resource. please help me, i cant seem to decide. who would you recommend i go for? i live in los angeles and am willing to travel. is dr. rahal is the best out there? if not who would you recommend? dr. dorin? dr. feller?

lahair,

We recommend dozens of excellent surgeons, many of which are in the Los Angeles area. To see a list of all the physicians we currently recommend, click here. To see our high standards for recommendation, click here.

Dr. Rahal, Dr. Dorin and Dr. Feller, though not on the west coast are all world renown and worth considering.

Choosing amongst an elite group of surgeons is as much subjective as it is objective. Thus, I recommend using the "search" feature of this forum to see what patients are saying about each doctor you're considering and viewing their results. I also recommend consulting with them and if possible, meeting with some of their patients. This will help you make an informed decision on who to choose for your hair transplant surgery.

Best wishes,

Bill

bill,

you seem to be the best resource. please help me, i cant seem to decide. who would you recommend i go for? i live in los angeles and am willing to travel. is dr. rahal is the best out there? if not who would you recommend? dr. dorin? dr. feller?

There are dozens on choices, but even all recommended doctors are not created equal in my opinion. I look at it as even an all-star team has star players that excell above the rest. A lot of who is best in my opinion is what your needs are. I suggest looking at patient websites and posts who have used the doctors you are researching.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.