Aderans is looking for participants for its phase II

I called aderans the other day to ask about getting into their phase two study, the guy on the phone in charge of recruiting or whatever said I wasn't in an area looking for people. Theyre looking in New Jersey though. Not sure where exactly. You can go on their site for their number and to check what area. Check it out and let us know how it goes (if anyone does it)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FinHairLoss,

Very interesting. But personally I'd rather wait until something is proven effective before trying it than be some guinea pig in an experimental procedure. That said, I guess the only way a clinical study can be conducted is with willing participants. I'm sure they'll have no problem finding anyone :).

Best wishes,

Bill

Fresh updates from Aderans. http://www.mynewsdesk.com/us/view/pressrelease/aderans-research-aderans-research-expands-clinical-studies-404413

General News US

Aderans Research: Aderans Research Expands Clinical Studies

May 04, 2010 13:30 CEST

Aderans Research Institute Inc. (ARI) said today it has expanded its clinical trials on hair regeneration by an additional seven cities in the United States. Las Vegas, NV; Los Angeles, CA; and New Hyde Park, NY, have been added through clinical site company Impact Clinical Trials. Tucson, AZ; St. Louis, MO; Birmingham, AL; and St. Petersburg, FL, have been added through clinical site company Radiant Research.

Collectively, the Radiant and Impact sites will add around 80 new subjects to the study. Combined with at least twenty new additions at a site hosted by TKL Research, the second phase of ARI’s clinical study will surpass 200 subjects in total, a remarkable number of participants for a Phase 2 trial.

“The expansion of our study reflects not only the significance of the investment made by Aderans Co. Ltd of Japan, but also our confidence that we’re getting closer to a commercial viable solution to the problems of hair loss,” said Vern Liebmann, Vice President, Operations.

Added ARI Executive Vice President Ken Washenik M.D., Ph.D., “We’ve received some encouraging results from our initial Phase 2 studies and we’re eager to expand the trial, add new protocols, and refine our knowledge of the hair multiplication and regeneration process.”

Kurt Stenn M.D., Vice President of Research and Chief Scientific Officer, commented, “It is gratifying to see our research being steadily confirmed in our clinical work.”

Phase 2 launched in November of 2008. Phase 1 of ARI’s clinical study began in September of 2006 and concluded in February of 2008.

About Aderans Research

Aderans Research is a pioneer in the research and development of safe, effective cell engineered products for hair regeneration. With offices in Atlanta and Philadelphia, Aderans Research Institute is a subsidiary of Aderans Company, Ltd., the world’s largest wig manufacturer, and an affiliate of Bosley, a global leader in medical hair restoration.

More information on ARI’s study outcomes will be released as studies unfold. To see ARI’s latest clinical updates, please visithttp://www.aderansresearch.com/ari_clinicupdates.html

Additional information on ARI can be found at www.aderansresearch.com.

Learn more about Aderans Co., Ltd. At http://www.aderans.co.jp/e/company/

Edited by Pale_Rider

Another fresh updates from Aderans. They are pumping those articles these days aren?t they? http://www.prweb.com/releases/Investigative/Dermatology/prweb3971924.htm

Aderans Research Presents at SID (Society of Investigative Dermatology)

Aderans Research Institute Inc. (ARI) this week presents an abstract at the prestigious Society of Investigative Dermatology (SID) at the society’s annual meeting in Atlanta.

Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) May 7, 2010 -- Aderans Research Institute Inc. (ARI) this week presents an abstract at the prestigious Society of Investigative Dermatology (SID) at the society’s annual meeting in Atlanta.

gI_0_aderansLogo.jpgThe abstract—entered in the “Hair and Cutaneous Development” category—concerns hair follicle formation from cultured cells, and summarizes research conducted by a group of ARI researchers, including ARI research scientist Arben Nace, Executive Vice President Ken Washenik M.D., Ph.D., and Kurt Stenn M.D., Vice President Research and Chief Scientific Officer.

Entitled, “Common mechanism of hair follicle formation from dissociated trichogenic epidermal and dermal cells,” the work investigates whether morphogenetic steps dissociated cells take to produce a hair follicle in a mouse are the same across all mammals. The study concludes, “that hair follicles form from dissociated cells in all mammals by one common, or universal, morphogenetic pathway.”

“This abstract covers important ground in our research into follicle formation and activity,” said Ken Washenik. “It is central to our efforts to develop a clinically viable answer to the challenge of hair regeneration.”

“Presenting at SID is always an honor,” added Kurt Stenn. “It lends a degree of credibility to your work and provides a level of exposure you won’t find anywhere else.”

The 2010 SID Annual Meeting takes place May 5-8 at the Hilton Atlanta Hotel in Atlanta, GA.

About the SID

The Society of Investigative Dermatology is one of the leading organizations devoted to cutaneous investigation. Its stated mission is “to advance and promote the sciences relevant to skin health and disease through education, advocacy, and scholarly exchange of scientific information.” The society produces the Journal of Investigative Dermatology (JID), the premier journal dedicated to basic and clinical research in cutaneous biology. Learn more at http://www.sidnet.org

About Aderans Research

Aderans Research is a pioneer in the research and development of safe, effective cell engineered products for hair regeneration. With offices in Atlanta and Philadelphia, Aderans Research Institute is a subsidiary of Aderans Company, Ltd, the world’s largest wig manufacturer, and an affiliate of Bosley, a global leader in medical hair restoration.

More information on ARI’s study outcomes will be released as studies unfold. To see ARI’s latest clinical updates, please visit http://www.aderansresearch.com/ari_clinicupdates.html

Additional information on ARI can be found at www.aderansresearch.com.

Learn more about Aderans Co., Ltd. At http://www.aderans.co.jp/e/company

Another important .pdf file...

COMMON MECHANISM OF HAIR FOLLICLE FORMATION FROM DISSOCIATED TRICHOGENIC EPIDERMAL AND DERMAL CELLS

http://www.aderansresearch.com/pdfs/PR_050710_ppt.pdf

Perhaps since they have an office located in Philadelphia, they won't mind if I pop by for a visit :-)

Bill,

Please keep us updated if you do stop by their office!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Anybody else feel like were extremely close to a new solution to hair restoration? like within the next 2 or 3 years? When i started searching cloning etc. in decemeber '09 there were only a few articles on each of histogen, aderans, intercyx, etc. Maybe an article or two or three spread out since 2006. Then all of the sudden after the new year aderans started popping out an article a month almost, and since then both aderans and histogen have been popping out more and more every month. Anybody else notice that? I'd say the race for the first cure is heating up. Histogen seems to be getting ready for something big, you probbaly dont hire somebody who is an expert in expansion of business and business ties, if you think you're product is a dud.

Will they have to change this site to the Hair Cure Network?

When there is no such thing as being bald anymore.....will people start getting surgery to become bald? I can see punk kids 50 years from now getting hair removal to be bald and revolt against the norms....lol

Edited by FinHairLoss

FinHairloss it is about time something new comes out at last. We are in the 21 st century and HT techniques that we have now at our disposal are at least middle age ones, payed by solid gold for poor results. It is a normal thing that human race progresses as years go by. I know that there are lots of HT surgeons that make small fortunes on these primitive methods, and there is also Hollywood promoting youthful looks, who is helping them to make more money on desperate people. But those "doctors" know that their time is coming to the end, so they are bashing everything new that comes out in HM research field. Rassman is one of these people so he tries to make a last push to make enough money for his retirement. After all, he probably lives in the elite part of L.A. so he probably has big life expenses which somebody has to pay. I also think that one day Merck will be sued by many Propecia users for irreversible side-effects that they suffer and will suffer, and lawyers will be rambling each other for that case, yet for it will be a gold mine if Merck looses.

Edited by Pale_Rider

FinHairLoss,

I definitely agree that some of this new information is exciting. However, I think we've all seen a lot of hype and new "advances" come and go, so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. I have some experience in research, embryology, et cetera, so I plan on reviewing both Histogen's and Aderans' newest findings and will be happy to give my input.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

definitely let us know Future_. I know there has been a lot of "advances" but those seemed more theoretical. I don't think there were too many companies actually in phase II testing etc. as there is now. We're seeing physical advances now. I'm putting my money on histogen. I think aderans procedure will be more expensive than histogen.

I hope they hurry it up, my hairline has been slowly moving back for the last three years and my crown is starting to thin and should be opening up in the next couple years (if the rate of hairloss continues). UGH hurry up histogen before people really notice I'm going bald.

Some older news from India. http://www.expresshealthcare.in/200803/market22.shtml

Dr Batra's Clinic to Promote Hair Cloning in India

Thy claim that the success rate of cloning would double that of the standard treatments available nowadays

Dr Batra's Clinic, India's largest chain of homeopathy clinics in India, is in process of working with Prof Dr Rolf Hoffmann, eminent dermatologist and the President of the European Hair Research Society (EHRS).

"The process of hair cloning will bring an answer for hair growth to millions if balding people across the world, particularly women, who have no effective answer to their balding as on date," said Dr Hoffman, known worldwide for inventing the Trichoscan—the world's first ever tool to monitor hair density and measure treatment efficacy. He said that close to 40 per cent of women in their 40's and 50 per cent of women in their 50's experience hair loss.

The procedure of cloning is unique since it's the only one to use the cup cells of the hair to clone and grow new hair. A very small area of hair is taken from the patients scalp. The cells are taken from the cup of these hair follicles, multiplied in a laboratory for three months and then injected onto the balding areas of the patient's scalp.

Prof Dr Hoffmann added that this procedure has so far no potential side effects and that it can re-grow large amounts of hair in a period of two years for people with diffuse hair loss. He estimates the success rate of cloning to double that of the standard treatments available nowadays.

The process of hair cloning is estimated to become a reality for patients in a few years.

Prof Dr Hoffmann indicated his interest in bringing the process to India. He said "The good reputation, number of clinics and the large patient base held by Dr Batra's Clinic makes it a potential partner to bring cloning into India."

Dr Mukesh Batra, Chairman and MD Dr Batra's Clinic, said, "Bringing cloning to India would be an ideal extension of our brand and would be a very good answer for all hair patients in India."

Prof Dr Hoffmann said that the estimated hair care market worldwide is pegged at 150 billion USD. The hair transplant business is estimated to at 1.2 billion USD with an estimated 7,00,000 patients per year visiting a hair transplant surgeon. Prof Dr Hoffmann emphasised the dream of growing multiple hairs from a few donor hair follicles or hair follicle cloning.

EH News Bureau

It is good though that the donor hair is unlimited but the price will be probably double as it is now on FUE, "Unfortunately, the procedure is very labor intensive and will compound the already high cost of hair transplants, so this may be out of reach for the average baldie (Gho is rumored to have worked on an increasing number of Dutch celebrities)." they say. Good job Gho but still very primitive and unacceptable.

It is good though that the donor hair is unlimited but the price will be probably double as it is now on FUE, "Unfortunately, the procedure is very labor intensive and will compound the already high cost of hair transplants, so this may be out of reach for the average baldie (Gho is rumored to have worked on an increasing number of Dutch celebrities)." they say. Good job Gho but still very primitive and unacceptable.

Yeah, they say it's 8$ a graft. I wish this would reach in the hands of other doctors as well...maybe then we can see some improvement in price. It's still very new though.

Over the years, I've seen a number of clinics make claims that they use this "partial unit extraction" technique. However, there's been no real proof to suggest it works. If there was, all the doctors would be utilizing this technique since in theory, it provides unlimited donor.

I don't mean to be a downer on these findings. But until it's proven consistently successful and adopted by leading physicians worldwide, I will retain a healthy level of skepticism.

Best wishes,

Bill

Yeah, they say it's 8$ a graft. I wish this would reach in the hands of other doctors as well...maybe then we can see some improvement in price. It's still very new though.

8$/graft that is Rassman?s price on FUE. :eek: Rassman (edited by moderator: please find a better way to express yourself than using personal insults). I think we are off topic. This is a section about future hair loss treatment. This method that Gho presents(except allegedly unlimited donor supply) is nothing more than an advanced type of classic FUE technique. Again butchering, blood, pain, swelling.... Not my flava. I am looking forward to see Histogen, Aderans, Follica(big IF that is getting bigger every month and a year that goes by) and others.

hopefully this site in the future wont be about who can give you the fullest head of hair, that'll be mandatory and expected, it'll be about who can give you the most natural looking full head of hair.

like i wonder how a histogen hairline would look

Aderans updates from last week. http://prudentpressagency.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=17588

(Prudent Press Agency)--- Aderans Research Institute Inc. (ARI) this week presents an abstract at the prestigious Society of Investigative Dermatology (SID) at the society’s annual meeting in Atlanta. The abstract—entered in the “Hair and Cutaneous Development” category—concerns hair follicle formation from cultured cells, and summarizes research conducted by a group of ARI researchers, including ARI research scientist Arben Nace, Executive Vice President Ken Washenik M.D., Ph.D., and Kurt Stenn M.D., Vice President Research and Chief Scientific Officer.

Entitled, “Common mechanism of hair follicle formation from dissociated trichogenic epidermal and dermal cells,” the work investigates whether morphogenetic steps dissociated cells take to produce a hair follicle in a mouse are the same across all mammals. The study concludes, “that hair follicles form from dissociated cells in all mammals by one common, or universal, morphogenetic pathway.”

“This abstract covers important ground in our research into follicle formation and activity,” said Ken Washenik. “It is central to our efforts to develop a clinically viable answer to the challenge of hair regeneration.”

It's all very interesting stuff and it does seem that we're moving towards some kind of cell-based treatment for hairloss but I think cautious optimism is in order. As some people have noted these are profit-making companies who want investment. That's not to suggest they're releasing false or incorrect data, but we have to be somewhat critical. It is very much in their interests to "big up" their success, to emphasise how close their product is to market and generally to stoke some serious excitement around their product.

Whilst the Aderans and Histogen results seem interesting there's still a lot of testing to be done and full, frank reports about what the "average person" can expect from the treatment are a while off. I think history has taught us, more often than not, to hope for the best, assume the worst and expect something just about in the middle of those two extremes.

I think we are around the corner from some sort of breakthrough, but I'm having to assume personally that 'from totally bald to head of hair in one easy step' is too much to hope for. I reckon that over the next 5-10 years some of these newer treatments will begin to see us get much more donor hair from HT, to create existing density around HTs and to compliment existing drug therapies.

I understand the boundless optimism some people have and it's normal; but science is usually pretty linear and very rarely makes true "leaps" in understanding. I reckon in the first instance Aderans and Histogen-like products will have to be used with existing treatments and I don't imagine that changing in at least the next 5-10 years, probably more like the next 10-15. Personally I think that means over the next 5-10 years (and more likely the latter half of that timeframe) hair restoration combining drugs, HTs and new technology will help to give people much more density and offer excellent, perhaps virtually undetectable cosmetic results. It will still be expensive, however, and still require surgery and commitment to drugs and a long-term hair regime. Perhaps in 10-20 years time we may begin to see viable treatments that offer genuinely full or near-full density without surgical techniques. But even that is a real hope and not an expectation.

So personally I think for "our" generation the world of hairloss is looking bright, but we're not around the corner from a "magic bullet". We might be close to some real exciting, complimentary technologies that improve our existing techniques and give much more density to existing procedures. But I think it's more likely to be our children who are walking in to a hospital, getting a few injections, and 6 months later are enjoying their new 140 hairs per cm/2 right over their head!

I wonder if histogen's HSC works like a drug like propecia..... as in the drug reacts well to some and not to others. I think stimulating dormant cells (or whatever histogen does) will be more efficient than the pills and minox type drugs, i feel like they aren't comparable medicines (but i dont know anything about what im saying)

"Through Histogen's proprietary bioreactors that mimic the embryonic environment, newborn cells are encouraged to naturally produce the vital proteins and growth factors from which the Company has developed its rich product portfolio"

Im just wondering if old school medicines and stem cell embryonic stuff are even comparable. Should we assume they will work like old school pills and cream rubs? or can we expect this stuff to better target and be more effecient and universal? like I can see someone popping a pill and nothing happening, but if you use something that is specifically suppose to stimulate new cells or whatever, wouldn't that be more likely to work on anybody?

I guess I'm wondering who wouldn' react to HSC?

Once again this is alll guessing and assuming, im just looking for a professional opinion on the differences or similarities between pills and stimulating cell complex

Edited by FinHairLoss

Mahhong,

Excellent post! I think your point of view is very wise, and although these new breakthroughs are definitely exciting, they should be approached with "cautious optimism."

FinHairLoss,

I wanted to try and address some of your questions. First, I think, like almost anything in science and medicine, there will be differing degrees of success at the individual level. Like you said, some treatments (especially with regard to cosmetic improvements) work well for some, but not as effectively for others.

As far as Histogen's Hair Stimulating Complex (HSC), my guess is that they assume this will be a universal solution, meaning it will give standardized results. However, I feel their solution would show differing results, just the same way certain individuals respond differently to minoxidil (for example).

To help demonstrate this point, I'll address another question you asked. You inquired as to how these different drugs even work, and if these mechanisms make them comparable. Well, they definitely work in two different ways:

Ironically, science is not completely certain as to how minoxidil works. We know that it manipulates cell gradients (think a lot of negative charge on one side and positive charge on the other blocked by a gate. When this gate opens, the opposites attract, the charges rush in and out, and the gradients change), and probably enters cells through this mechanism, but beyond that, it's kind of unknown.

Hair Stimulating Complex (HSC) on the other hand is a cocktail of complexes taken from an artificial embryonic environment. The way I understand it, they essentially re-create embryonic conditions, and then remove certain elements (proteins, growth factors) that induce cell growth and formation in embryos. The goal is to inject these elements and "stimulate" growth. The exact mechanisms in which this works, potential side effects, and new cell growth are still things I'm still a little confused about.

So, in bringing these two mechanisms together, one (minoxidil) works by manipulating positive/negative cell gradients (from there on out, it's sort of unknown and based in conjecture - people are beginning to think it could be a combination of opening up cells and minoxidil widening blood vessels for optimal nutrient and oxygen flow), and the other (Hair Stimulating Complex) works by injecting embryonic elements to reform and stimulate cells. My guess, is that just as people are more susceptible to minoxidil (because their gradients can be manipulated more easily or because the minoxidil widens their blood vessels more effectively), certain people will be more susceptible to Human Stimulation Complex (due to the same line of thinking).

I hope this addresses some of your questions. Please feel free to post any further issues and I'll do my best to answer (if you'd like)!