Try and diagnose my problem please

Hi everyone.

I am 29. I am a norwood 2 probably 3 (I will post pics very soon) I have serious recession on the sides.

I have aggressive hairloss.

My receeding hairline has excelerated and the top/front of my hair has thinned a lot.

I dont think i had much thinning before the last 12 months - although i had slow recession since i was 18.

12 months ago, i was diagnosed with a Post traumatic stress disorder.

I still have symptoms from the stress disorder, and take a small amount of zoloft (which is an ssri/antidepressant).

I take 25mg per day, I think many people take 100mg and over per day. (Im at the absolute minimum - although i have increased it for short periods of time to test its effects on my stress disorder)

My 3 theories are -------- my hair loss is ---

a)Zoloft related

b) A result of my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

C) its all a coincidence and im simply sufering MPB

The nature of my hairloss seems consistent with MPB ie greater recession in the front and then thinning on top. (But because of the timing -- im sure there is some relationship with either my stress disorder or the zoloft)

I have not noticed substantial hairloss in the safe zone, nor have i noticed any loss in body hair.

Out of A, B or C -- WHAT DO YOU THINK iS causing my hair loss?

Anyone have any ideas on how i can isolate the cause?

Do you think a hair surgeon or dermatologist would be able to isolate the cause?

Hi

I would bet it was C with possibly a bit of B. Stress can cause many things in the body but if you were receding prior chances all it is just running its course. 29 is a normal time for accelerated hairloss. I would look into getting on propecia to halt the loss. Talk to your doc as well ..

does hairloss run in the family? This is not a direct solution but can provide some insight

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by Mrjb:

Talk to your doc as well ..

If I were in your shoes, this would be the very first thing I'd do! Check with a Doc. I think this will provide you with the best chance of trying to determine what may be causing your loss.

Aside from that, it's pure guess work.......don't you think??

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

thanks guys.

My dad has a very good head of hair, very full. (im extremely envious )

His father had a great head of hair.

My mum has a proper hair of hair. However her father had some baldness, but he was 80 years old, and he still had some hair.

Come to think of it. my brother has mild receeding hair. But its receeding, i dont think its particularly thin etc.

Like how mine is now.

I have recession from atleast age 18, but it has been mild, very slow, and i have had a pretty thick head of hair.

I feel i am breaking a world record in hair loss, its very rapid. From the crown to the front it has really thinned out. and the sides have receeded a fair bit. this has prety much ahppened within 1 year or maybe less.

Is there a way i can differentiate between mpb and stress related baldness?

anyone know?

Go see a doc but family history really isnt a key indicator.

When I lost my hair I was looking for every possible reason as well:

allergies, stress, shampoo???

It was MPB

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I did see my gp.

He has mpb, and has shaved his head.

He told me to do the same and not to bother worrying about it.

If i have to shave my head i will i guess, but i wish to deplete other otpions first.

He told me nearly all hts are shit, eventually most people have to shave their head, then they will have a donor scar.

He also said, that he took propecia, but worried about having deformed babies so he stopped taking it.

He did give me a prescription for propecia though.

I will probably go back and see him, i think some people on here may have a better understanding of hair loss than a gp.

Besides a gp? who else is appropriate to go and see? an endocrinologist? dermitologist? hair surgeon?

Is there different characteristics between mpb and stress related hair loss? Is there some way that a professional could tell by hearing my story or assessing my head?

I will post pics on here, which may also stimulate your thinking.

Thanks everyone.

guy,

If I had to guess, you are suffering from male pattern baldness not stress related hair loss. The fact that you have a rapidly receeding hairline is not typical with stress related hair loss (diffuse alopecia)

Stress related hair loss is different than male pattern baldness. Hair loss related to traumatic stress typically is characterized by diffuse hair thinning all over the scalp (diffuse alopecia) and typiocally returns after the stressor has lifted.

Androgenetic Alopecia or hereditary hair loss (male pattern baldness) is linked to genetics and can be treated with Propecia, Rogaine, and Ketoconazole (as an adjunct treatment).

I hope this helps.

Bill

Just the fact your doc said all HT's are Sh!t totally reduces his credibility.. Tell him to take a look at this site and I'm sure he would change his mind..

We call people like him a playerhater

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

thank you Bill for moving this thread and for your reply.

Alot of people are saying they think its MPB, but it seems so weird that this has all happened since i was diagnosed with my stress disorder and started taking an anti anxiety medication.

Have you ever heard of stress, speeding up mpb?

(i know that stress related hairloss is different to mpb)

But because of how my hair is acting, it has a mpb pattern, yet the timing seems more consistent with stress - so im wondering if there is a relationship.

Guy:

There are several possible causes for your hair loss which can be isolated with a proper exam and consultation and examination of the hair follicles. In my experience, there are times you can see a combination of both factors, i.e. MPB and telogen effluvium or diffuse shedding. This can be induced by a variety of reasons, including stress. Deramtologists typically do hair pull tests to determine the ratio of telogen hairs. The root of the hair typically looks like a club. MOst of my patients describe a significant increase of hair in the shower or when they comb their hair. Dermatologists by training are the most experienced in Hair loss disorders. However, you will find many good hair surgeons who are also knowledgeable on the hair loss diseases as well. To alleviate your anxiety, it would be best to see a professional.

Ricardo Mejia MD

Hair Transplant Network Surgeon and Dermatologist

Jupiter FL