Few questions about Micrografting

Guys, I am new here and interested to know more about the hair transplant (Rough answers) icon_cool.gif:

1) Do I need to take any kind of medicine after the hair transplant (if yes then what is this medicine and for how long?) icon_frown.gif

2) Is it enough to go only one time to the surgeon for one session and then i will wait for the results in my own (i.e. should i go later for something like checkup sessions)?

3) Where can I find "after many years" photos for people had the hair transplant?

4) What hair type/color will give the best results?

I will appreciate any feedback icon_smile.gif.

Guys, I am new here and interested to know more about the hair transplant (Rough answers) icon_cool.gif:

1) Do I need to take any kind of medicine after the hair transplant (if yes then what is this medicine and for how long?) icon_frown.gif

2) Is it enough to go only one time to the surgeon for one session and then i will wait for the results in my own (i.e. should i go later for something like checkup sessions)?

3) Where can I find "after many years" photos for people had the hair transplant?

4) What hair type/color will give the best results?

I will appreciate any feedback icon_smile.gif.

You will need to take hairloss meds for the rest of your life. Weather they agree with you , make you impotentent or whatever. Some even get manly bitch tits.Your donor is darker and courser than your natural hair so styling adjuncts will provide some camoflage(provided the surgery did not kill your existing hair)Thinning blonds do best with this surgery.Micro grafts are fancy plugs.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

SunRise:

1. It's generally recommended that you take a DHT blocker. There are only two available, finasteride and dutasteride. The recommended dose for finasteride is 1mg per day, and you can get this from Propecia (in 1mg tablets) or Proscar (5 mg finasteride per pill and you split the pill). You don't HAVE to take a DHT blocker but it's definitely a good idea. It can stop or greatly slow down hairloss, and in some cases you might even see some regrowth.

2. Depends on your location and the surgeon's location. There is nothing that says you MUST go back to the surgeon but a lot of guys do go back for followup visits or another procedure (assuming they are happy with the first one).

3. Keep reading, a lot of guys have websites with photos.

4. Wavy hair and a low skin-to-hair contrast will generally give better cosmetic results than straight, fine hair and a high skin-to-hair contrast.

The most important thing is to pick the right doctor.

Spoon has given you some great advice, I just want to chime in with a few more thoughts:

1) An internal DHT inhibitor such as Propecia can be instrumental in staving off future loss. Remember that your donor area hair will never be near enough to cover a substantial loss pattern, so unless your hair loss has stabilized (never a certainty and almost always has not) it would be wise to look into it. Some useful reading on internal DHT inhibitors is located here.

2) Physicians usually ask the patient to definitely come back in the day after the procedure to make sure everything looks ok. After that, if you are traveling a great distance home, you can arrange for another physician in your home town to remove your sutures or staples if you had a strip surgery done. Some physicians offer dissolvable sutures so that step can be avoided that way as well. Other than that, it is very common for patients to not visit the office again post-op, unless they just want the peace of mind of seeing the doctor for a follow-up.

3) There are plenty of photos 1+ years post op in photo albums located in the Hair Transplant Photo Albums forum. Some that come to mind off hand are mine, Hairworthy, Brando, Justin_sievers. We recently launched the Hair Loss Weblogs feature for patients to be able to document and share their progress and growth. More are being added seemingly daily so check those out. Feel free to go ahead and make your own so you can document your own progress.

4) Just what spoon said: hair that is wavy, coarser, and with a thicker shaft diameter and a low skin-to-hair contrast typically produces the most "eye-popping" results. That is not to say that a patient cannot get good results otherwise, though.

Oh, and what Mahair said, "Micro grafts are fancy plugs" is right on. To learn about the latest techniques utilized by top hair restoration physicians, click here.

Finally, welcome to the Hair Restoration Research forums and good luck on your research!

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog