propecia safe when trying to conceive?

baldboy

I asked Dr. Richard Lee from www.minoxidil.com this very question a few months ago. Here was his reply:

-------------------------------------------------

It is true that small amounts of finasteride is excreted in the semen, but the important question is how much is excreted?

I've called Merck, and they informed me that the absorption rate of finasteride via the semen is 750 times lower than the 'no effect rate' tested on Rhesus monkeys. In essence, there is no risk, because it would be impossible to have a

ejaculate of 3750ml. The average volume is 5 ml.

There is no correlation between taking finasteride and birth defects. While it is known that women who have a congenital 5-alpha reductase deficiency can give birth to a male child with hypoplasia of the external genital tract, it does not happen by taking finasteride to reduce the DHT.

That's why the package insert in the U.S. doesn't include the warning anymore. To

be on the safe side, it is still recommended that women in the child bearing age do not

take finasteride.

Richard Lee, M.D.

-------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps.

Results of my 1424 FU transplant procedure on 8/16/02 can be viewed at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/ttaco

Results of my 1424 FU transplant procedure on 8/16/02 can be viewed at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/ttaco

Baldboy, have you gotten new growth from your HTs? I was reading some of your earlier posts where you stated that you were disappointed. I have a similar situation as you. I have had a couple of MHR HTs. The second HT was pretty disappointing with very slow(if any) growth.