Hair loss for women - there IS hope

bess

I am a 33 year-old female who began noticing a very gradual loss of hair 10 years ago. As time progressed, it became more noticeable and undeniable. I found myself trying everything possible to diminish it. As my condition worsened, I began to run out of options and began adjusting my activities accordingly (i.e. I would avoid public pools and the beach). In my opinion, this is one of the worst forms of mental torture a woman could experience. I was raised with the belief that a woman's hair is her 'crown'; I had spent my entire life using only the best hair-care products while, also, avoiding anything that could damage my hair (i.e. perms, excessive hair-dryer use, and excessive sun exposure). After seeing several doctor's, they could only conclude that my hair loss, while androgenetic, was accelerated by my onset of diabetes. My self esteem had been all but destroyed...until I met Dr. Robert Jones M.D. of Oakville, Ontario Canada.

As I researched the many options and treatments available for hair restoration/transplantation in the United States, I began to realize how expensive this task would be; my hopes of a normal life began to diminish. Then, one day while researching this topic on the net, I came across Dr. Robert Jones' website (via Yahoo!). Having reviewed his extensive website, especially the section dedicated to women's hair loss, I was compelled to call Dr. Jones for a phone consultation. I was surprised and delighted to find out that Dr. Jones would perform the same procedure my condition required for only half of the price quoted to me here in the U.S. To give you an idea of his good nature, his response to my husband was, "I can't understand why my colleagues in the States charge so much."

Being that we live 3-4 hours away, we made arrangements with Dr. Jones to schedule the procedure, which would take about 8 hours. Dr. Jones' office was well prepared and equipped to deal with out-of-town patients; they couldn't have been more helpful and sensitive to my situation. My husband and I drove to Oakville, which is less than 15 minutes from Toronto, the day before the procedure. The next morning, Dr. Jones reiterated the details of the procedure and what we could expect thereafter. He explained to me that I would lose some of my existing hair, temporarily, in the area where the transplant would be grafted. This was typical because the scalp is sensitive to any type of 'trauma'. He also explained that a very small percentage of the grafts would not survive, but that was normal and should be expected.

The only discomfort I felt was the initial application of the local anesthesia to the scalp and the area where the donor hair would be taken from. Beyond that, I can only say that my head may have felt somewhat ??heavy', but there was no pain. Surprisingly enough, we were able to stop midway through the procedure to have lunch; being a diabetic I could not wait until the end of the procedure. While the procedure was being performed, my husband filled out the necessary prescriptions at a pharmacy less than 10 minutes away and then brought me lunch. When the procedure was complete, Dr. Jones briefed us one last time and then we drove home.

When I returned home, I saw it for the first time. It looked like tiny blood dots all along the scalp; I was a bit discouraged. However, this was expected and I knew that I needed to be patient. I was able to wash my hair again after 10 days and eventually the scabs would come off naturally.

After a week, the stitches from the area of donor hair were removed by my family physician. I looked forward to this because, as with any type of stitches, they would be somewhat annoying from time to time. Dr. Jones had cautioned me not to expect to see any results for at least 2-3 months. The transplanted hair and the affected area of the scalp needed time to heal and growth would be dormant for some time. I would have my husband check it periodically for any sign of growth. I would say that this period of anticipation was the worst part; after living in torment for so long, you can't help but to feel like an anxious child on Christmas Eve. For me, it took a little longer to see any results because, being diabetic, the healing process was slower. However, when my husband saw the first signs of growth, I felt a joy inside that I hadn't known in a very long time. I was ecstatic!

It has now been about a year since the procedure and my hair is much fuller than it was. Of course, it's not as full as it was before this all started, but it is a big improvement to what it had become. It was enough to restore my confidence and feel good about myself. I no longer felt like I had to hide and miss out on the many things I had avoided in the past; I felt normal again! This renewal of my self esteem gave me the courage to return to the life I had thought I would never have again. Four months after the procedure, I found a new full-time job and I feel great.

If I hadn't gone to see Dr. Jones, I would still be in a rut, hiding from the world. He is a skilled physician and a kind person who will provide you with as much help as, humanly and medically, possible. I would advise any woman, or man, to not suffer in silence. There is help out there and people who care. It really is just a phone call away.

BESS

Dr. Robert Jones Hair Transplant Center

http://www.hair-doctor.ca/

I am a 33 year-old female who began noticing a very gradual loss of hair 10 years ago. As time progressed, it became more noticeable and undeniable. I found myself trying everything possible to diminish it. As my condition worsened, I began to run out of options and began adjusting my activities accordingly (i.e. I would avoid public pools and the beach). In my opinion, this is one of the worst forms of mental torture a woman could experience. I was raised with the belief that a woman's hair is her 'crown'; I had spent my entire life using only the best hair-care products while, also, avoiding anything that could damage my hair (i.e. perms, excessive hair-dryer use, and excessive sun exposure). After seeing several doctor's, they could only conclude that my hair loss, while androgenetic, was accelerated by my onset of diabetes. My self esteem had been all but destroyed...until I met Dr. Robert Jones M.D. of Oakville, Ontario Canada.

As I researched the many options and treatments available for hair restoration/transplantation in the United States, I began to realize how expensive this task would be; my hopes of a normal life began to diminish. Then, one day while researching this topic on the net, I came across Dr. Robert Jones' website (via Yahoo!). Having reviewed his extensive website, especially the section dedicated to women's hair loss, I was compelled to call Dr. Jones for a phone consultation. I was surprised and delighted to find out that Dr. Jones would perform the same procedure my condition required for only half of the price quoted to me here in the U.S. To give you an idea of his good nature, his response to my husband was, "I can't understand why my colleagues in the States charge so much."

Being that we live 3-4 hours away, we made arrangements with Dr. Jones to schedule the procedure, which would take about 8 hours. Dr. Jones' office was well prepared and equipped to deal with out-of-town patients; they couldn't have been more helpful and sensitive to my situation. My husband and I drove to Oakville, which is less than 15 minutes from Toronto, the day before the procedure. The next morning, Dr. Jones reiterated the details of the procedure and what we could expect thereafter. He explained to me that I would lose some of my existing hair, temporarily, in the area where the transplant would be grafted. This was typical because the scalp is sensitive to any type of 'trauma'. He also explained that a very small percentage of the grafts would not survive, but that was normal and should be expected.

The only discomfort I felt was the initial application of the local anesthesia to the scalp and the area where the donor hair would be taken from. Beyond that, I can only say that my head may have felt somewhat ??heavy', but there was no pain. Surprisingly enough, we were able to stop midway through the procedure to have lunch; being a diabetic I could not wait until the end of the procedure. While the procedure was being performed, my husband filled out the necessary prescriptions at a pharmacy less than 10 minutes away and then brought me lunch. When the procedure was complete, Dr. Jones briefed us one last time and then we drove home.

When I returned home, I saw it for the first time. It looked like tiny blood dots all along the scalp; I was a bit discouraged. However, this was expected and I knew that I needed to be patient. I was able to wash my hair again after 10 days and eventually the scabs would come off naturally.

After a week, the stitches from the area of donor hair were removed by my family physician. I looked forward to this because, as with any type of stitches, they would be somewhat annoying from time to time. Dr. Jones had cautioned me not to expect to see any results for at least 2-3 months. The transplanted hair and the affected area of the scalp needed time to heal and growth would be dormant for some time. I would have my husband check it periodically for any sign of growth. I would say that this period of anticipation was the worst part; after living in torment for so long, you can't help but to feel like an anxious child on Christmas Eve. For me, it took a little longer to see any results because, being diabetic, the healing process was slower. However, when my husband saw the first signs of growth, I felt a joy inside that I hadn't known in a very long time. I was ecstatic!

It has now been about a year since the procedure and my hair is much fuller than it was. Of course, it's not as full as it was before this all started, but it is a big improvement to what it had become. It was enough to restore my confidence and feel good about myself. I no longer felt like I had to hide and miss out on the many things I had avoided in the past; I felt normal again! This renewal of my self esteem gave me the courage to return to the life I had thought I would never have again. Four months after the procedure, I found a new full-time job and I feel great.

If I hadn't gone to see Dr. Jones, I would still be in a rut, hiding from the world. He is a skilled physician and a kind person who will provide you with as much help as, humanly and medically, possible. I would advise any woman, or man, to not suffer in silence. There is help out there and people who care. It really is just a phone call away.

BESS

http://www.hair-doctor.ca/

It's so consoling to hear that. I'm 29 and thinning. I've had all blood work done - all normal. My dr. did say my testosterone was a little high and recommended oral spiro and yasmin b/c. But, down the line, since I do have "pattern hair loss" - I'd definetly consider an HT. Good luck and thanks for giving us girls hope!