Growth rate of recient transplants

Here is something I've not seen directly discussed. I'm curious of other's experiences with initial growth rate of their transplanted hair.

I saw my transplants start sprouting around the 10 week mark. I was, of course, very excited. It's now almost the 14 week mark. My natural hair in the recipient area is growing at the rate of about 1" per month thanks to MSM. However the transplants are barely moving. They have grown about 1/8" in the same amount of time.

I did not expect this and had not really heard of others mentioning it either. I know it will really fill out (density) over time (like 12 months). However I assumed the hair would grow at the same rate as my other hair.

Any comments?

Here is something I've not seen directly discussed. I'm curious of other's experiences with initial growth rate of their transplanted hair.

I saw my transplants start sprouting around the 10 week mark. I was, of course, very excited. It's now almost the 14 week mark. My natural hair in the recipient area is growing at the rate of about 1" per month thanks to MSM. However the transplants are barely moving. They have grown about 1/8" in the same amount of time.

I did not expect this and had not really heard of others mentioning it either. I know it will really fill out (density) over time (like 12 months). However I assumed the hair would grow at the same rate as my other hair.

Any comments?

Spock,

You won't really notice normal growth rate of the new terminal hair until 12-14 months post-op.

It usually takes that long for the terminal hair cylinders to develop their original caliper. Once they achieve this they have no where else to grow but longer and that's when it usually catches up with the other hair.

To prove my point, be sure to get a haircut at 12 months post-op. Watch the rate of growth of the terminal hair to the natural hair not affected by DHT.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 month later...

Echo Gillenator comments; Normal growth rate of HT hairs will be around the 14 month.

Growth rate differs by individual and procedure. On the average, you will have a lot of "sprouting" at 6-8 weeks then not much until the 4th month (at 4 months you will only have around 25% growth), then the 5-8 months the rapid growth occurs which will be around 80%-- however the thickness of the hair will continue for 18 months.