Questions from a newbie in Houston, TX

Hello guys

This is one of the best forums I have ever read in a specific subject, congrats...

Recently I went thru a free consultation with a DR based in Houston. He seems like decent honest guy with a lot of successful HT's in his portfolio. He even gave me 2 ex-patients' phone numbers and what I heard from them impressed me.

I asked him many questions during the consultation but I forgot some.

1) If the hair that DR is moving from the neck to the front is permanent, then why do we still need Propecia and other chemicals after the HT?

1-b) One of the ex patients told me that he is seeing a few hair falling off here and there but it is just a few a day and probably it is because of the breaking of the hair when he combs, so what do you think? (Sounded like he was not worried about it)

2) I still have a little bit of hair left at the very front. Now if the roots are not removed, these will fall off one day and even after the HT, the front side of the scalp will not look good. What is the common procedure for this? Are they gonna remove it or what?

3) The doctor I had the consultation with charges 5 dollars for the first 2K and the rest is $4 each. what do you think about the price?

4) Do doctors have some kind of software like photoshop to add hair on my scalp on screen so that I can tell how I will look after the HT?

5) I checked flexible payment option but HT is not covered. Can someone confirm if this is true?

6) I saw some famous doctors in Toronto and some in NY had treated patients here in this forum. Can you please tell us how much they charged and what did it include?

7) Anyone in Houston got HT, if so , who would you recommend?

Thanks

Hello guys

This is one of the best forums I have ever read in a specific subject, congrats...

Recently I went thru a free consultation with a DR based in Houston. He seems like decent honest guy with a lot of successful HT's in his portfolio. He even gave me 2 ex-patients' phone numbers and what I heard from them impressed me.

I asked him many questions during the consultation but I forgot some.

1) If the hair that DR is moving from the neck to the front is permanent, then why do we still need Propecia and other chemicals after the HT?

1-b) One of the ex patients told me that he is seeing a few hair falling off here and there but it is just a few a day and probably it is because of the breaking of the hair when he combs, so what do you think? (Sounded like he was not worried about it)

2) I still have a little bit of hair left at the very front. Now if the roots are not removed, these will fall off one day and even after the HT, the front side of the scalp will not look good. What is the common procedure for this? Are they gonna remove it or what?

3) The doctor I had the consultation with charges 5 dollars for the first 2K and the rest is $4 each. what do you think about the price?

4) Do doctors have some kind of software like photoshop to add hair on my scalp on screen so that I can tell how I will look after the HT?

5) I checked flexible payment option but HT is not covered. Can someone confirm if this is true?

6) I saw some famous doctors in Toronto and some in NY had treated patients here in this forum. Can you please tell us how much they charged and what did it include?

7) Anyone in Houston got HT, if so , who would you recommend?

Thanks

HEY MR. NO,

1) One needs propecia to ensure no further loss in the crown and/or sides laterals of their head.

1-b.2c.d) the transplanted hair---*after* it has fully matured 12-18 months---will go through the normal cycle of growth and resting phases like all your hair naturally does. his hair "coming out" when he combes it is normal.

2) this is why it is "important" to get on propecia---even though I have not! icon_eek.gif The "normal" procedure for this, given it is a top doc, is to transplant within the native hair, given it already has some loss/thinning, so that if/when it falls out, it is not apparant that you had a transplant.

3) I "think" that sounds about right...

4)I wish! No doc is going to do this for you and tell you precisely how "you" will look.

5) Hmmm...A forum member named Dewayne recently posted on financing options. Don't recall off hand. If that doesn't pan out, perhaps a credit card w/interest free financing, then credit surf?

6) http://hassonandwong.com/index.php Pom-Pom time! icon_smile.gif Check them out, they are the best of the best!

7) not in Houston...

Example of great work:

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/galleryview.cfm?id...lution|gallery10.cfm

I don't know what doc your considering, you might want to disclose his name so people can give you some feed back, but HT's can be a REALLY messy business *if* you don't go to a great doc; and there are *very* few of them. This field is NOT regulated and many men end up ruining their noggins because of it...be careful.

I'll take a stab at some of these questions since I'm sort of holed up here in my crib recovering from my ht of 3 days ago.....

We don't know your age, history, pics, etc. so if you'll post that especially some pics you'll get some good advice.

1. With a ht, you'll never get back the hair you had when you were 16; so it is good to use the meds b/c it's been shown to regrow hair. At least, it might stop what you have from falling out. In fact, depending on your age, you might consider the meds for a year or so.

2. Don't let them remove any hair on the top of your head. And they won't.

3. That price is decent I suppose. Dr. Alexander in Arizona charges $4 per and that's probably a good standard to go by.

4. I don't think I've heard of a top-surgeon using that type of "technology". Maybe at Hair Club For Men; but stay away from that place.

5. The coalition doctor in Las Vegas advertises a 12 month interest free plan as well as a payment plan. He has a good rep. as well.

6. The docs in Canada and New York are very good, but they are also the most active on this board. There are some good ones not as active posting as well. Check out the "Find a Surgeon" button above and call some of these guys. I talked to about five clinics and was happy with three of them.

7. I've never been to Houston, but I think there are two recommended surgeons in Texas. Also, Arizona and Las Vegas have some fine docs as well. Who did you consult with? I bet someone can give you the lowdown on him / her if you tell us the name.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

woow, thanks for the fast responses

First off, I am disappointed with the mandatory use of Propecia and other chemicals even after the HT. That will be a big minus.

Second, the doctor that I consulted was Dr Arocho, as I said I liked him and hic approach. He spent close to an hour with me as well. I tried to get consultation with other doctors who are chosen as the best in this field in Houston in magazines and they are charging $100 for one hour consultation.

One thing that surprised me is Dr Arocho told me that the hair that will be moved from the neck to the front is PERMANENT hair that does not fall off. So seriously, if I do not use the chemicals, would it grown and eventually fall off like my old hair? It does make sense because they do not fall of where they are now. (neck)

Can you please comment?

First off, I am disappointed with the mandatory use of Propecia and other chemicals even after the HT. That will be a big minus.

It is not *mandatory* but it is strongly suggested. Many have undergone ht's and not been on the meds, it just increases risk of future loss of "native hair" and another ht.

I have never heard of Dr. Arocho, is he a member of the Coalition of recommended surgeons on this forum? If not, I seriously wouldn't go with him. Sorry, Im sure you'll find that blanket generalization offensive, especially since I don't even know if he *is* a member of the coalition or not---but in all fairness I have never heard of him or researched anyone in Texas---this surgery is a *HUGE* deal and will be permanently on your scalp where everyone can see it for the rest of your life. If the doc is a member of the coalition then I wouldn't be overly concerned. How did you hear of him and how much of his work have you seen?

..."It does make sense because they do not fall of where they are now. (neck)"...

This is called 'donor dominance'...basically, that your hair (from the back and sides of your scalp the 'donor') maintains it's same properties when transplanted. So, *if* it is not prone to MPB then it will not fall out when it is transplanted. I only qualify that statement because some men, though extremely rare, have a form of baldness which they lose ALL their hair including that of the "donor" area...but it is VERY rare...

misterno:

If it's this doctor, he's is recommended by this site. When Bill gets on he can give you some more info. on him. Check it out http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/Doctors.asp?DrID=636

I think you're misunderstanding the Propecia a little. Your transplanted hair, 3000 or however many grafts you get, will probably never fall out. However, if you have natural hair still left on top, or if you would like to grow some more natural hair along with the transplanted hairs, Propecia has been proven to do both in some patients.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

Yes, he is recommended by this website, so yes he is recomended.

I understand now that the reason for the chemicals after HT is recommended so that it will prevent the priginal hair on the scalp to fall off.

HImm, that means I need to use that freaking chemicals. Oh man, I hate that icon_smile.gif

One more question

Since HT is alittle bit of art, the way the floculiar units are angeled is extremely important. Because the way you can comb your hair makes a lot of difference in your appearance. Now do we have to discuss this part of HT with the doctor, or what?

Just curious.

Originally posted by misterno:

So how much Dr Wasson charges?

I would seriously consider sticking with the guy in Houston, if you liked your visit as you say. It's like choosing between a Lexus and an Infinity. Both are great, but one is down the street and the other is in another country..... JMO>

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

yeah, but you don't get to drive your hair. icon_smile.gif

come to think of it, ht's are more valuable and they don't come w/protection like cars.

HT should come equipped with "hair-bags" w/our purchase for our protection...In the event of a sudden *jOLt* they could explode protecting our grafts...

Ill look into it!

There might be complications in the event that two ht patients *both* equipped w/hair bags are next to one another, if one hair-bag explodes it might perhaps cause the other's hair-bag to explode w/out warning or proper cause...much like the car-alarm phenomena...if one "hair-bag" explodes it could cause a chain reaction of "hair-bag's" exploding for blocks, miles, across state lines, crossing both continents and seas....the sky will be filled w/the residual sMoKe of the billions of hair-bags sudden combustion, blacking out the sun for hours, days, weeks on end.Hmmmm...the consequences could be perplexing and change the world as we know it....

misterno,

Welcome to our forum.

I wanted to address the above statement so there is no confusion. Propecia is NOT required for transplanted hair to grow however, since hair transplantation dose nothing to stop the progressiveness of male pattern baldness, Propecia is a good idea if you want to help maintain the existing natural hair you have left. Does that make sense?

Dr. Bobby Limmer and Dr. Brad Limmer are in Texas and members of the Coalition. Dr. Williams in Las Vegas is also a member of the Coalition. See our high level of Coalition membership standards here.

Dr. Arocha is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. He is not a member of the Coalition to date, though his work does appear ultra refined. In time, perhaps he will become a member of the Coalition.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by notgoing2gobald:

yeah, but you don't get to drive your hair. icon_smile.gif

come to think of it, ht's are more valuable and they don't come w/protection like cars.

HT should come equipped with "hair-bags" w/our purchase for our protection...In the event of a sudden *jOLt* they could explode protecting our grafts...

Ill look into it!

There might be complications in the event that two ht patients *both* equipped w/hair bags are next to one another, if one hair-bag explodes it might perhaps cause the other's hair-bag to explode w/out warning or proper cause...much like the car-alarm phenomena...if one "hair-bag" explodes it could cause a chain reaction of "hair-bag's" exploding for blocks, miles, across state lines, crossing both continents and seas....the sky will be filled w/the residual sMoKe of the billions of hair-bags sudden combustion, blacking out the sun for hours, days, weeks on end.Hmmmm...the consequences could be perplexing and change the world as we know it....

If you keep it up, I'm going to have to take Aquirius off ignore to counteract your posts. icon_rolleyes.gif

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week