What are the possible Negative's of HT?

you need to have reasonable expectation and understanding of HT and that requires doing research for some time.

The chance of things going wrong with your HT will be very small if you chose the right doctor.

so Again,if you chose the right doctor,HT shouldn't affect you in any negative way at all !

Charlie

I can think of three possible down sides.

1) Getting a sub standard procedure.

2) An expectation that at NW6, you are going to have a full head of hair after the surgery.

3) Being enbarrassed, that you have a red head for a few months, and then after 6 months why you have all this new hair growing!!

So

1) Dont choose the first person who you go to, research well, and pick a top doc.

2) Don't expect to look like you did at 17!!

3) Plan what you are going to do/say after your procedure

Good luck

Clive.

There are always risks with every procedure of any surgery for anything.

HT are no different but given the almost non-evasive technique and out paitent, it is limited with HT>

Outside of inexperience or bad HT surgeon who can cause all kinds of problems for the patient (bad hairline, poor graft angle placement, poor donor harvest and incession, spacing, ect)

One could develop infection of donor site incession or receipent area infection if post op directions are not followed.

One could have subQ infection at recp. site that lead to boil/pimple like which is easy treated with hot compress,

If not stitched/staple appropriate, bleeding could occur.

All of these are very very rare (expect for the boil infections which many have 1-2 during healing process)

Just pick a great surgeon who is published, mentors other HT surgeons, viewed as leader in the field, does 100% HT AND follow post op instructions.

SMOOTHY

Shapiro

Propecia/Rogaine

MSM/Saw Palmetto

Nioxin Shampoo

Zrii Daily

Charlie 08,

When reviewing the "negatives" regarding transplants, I usually touch on the following for the patient to know about:

First of all, the general tone of my comments is that fortunately hair transplant surgery is a remarkably complication-free area of surgery. Much of this has to do with the rich blood supply of the scalp.

Here's the list:

a) 20% chance in males (probably 30-40% in females) of forehead swelling, which comes on the 3rd day and is gone by the 6th day after surgery. The more work is done in front, especially if temples are included, the higher the incidence of this. Most clinics give Prednisone or a steroid to decrease the incidence of this.

b) Most important one of all: 5-15% chance of mild "shocking" to some of the existing native hairs. (Incidence is higher in females, probably near 30%). Most of these follicles affected by this will start to regrow in 3-4 months. Thin vulnerable ones may not return.

c) Small cysts on scalp. These have become very, very rare in our own practice compared to 10 years ago, when they seemed much more common. They are usually caused by "piggybacking" of a graft on top of another, or a hair that grows inward and curls up.

d) Very small area of numbness in the rear, central scalp, which happens in nearly 100% of patients and returns to normal in 3-8 months after surgery. This is caused by cutting some of the branches of the superficial sensory nerves when the donor cut is made. They grow back and full sensation almost always returns.

e) Some soreness and discomfort in the donor scar area, especially when lying on a pillow. This is usually quite minimal, especially if sutures aren't placed too tightly.

f) That's about it in the real world today. Bleeding, infection, pitting, cobblestoning - these simply shouldn't happen and are extremely rare in a good modern hair transplant practice.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

What great feeback here...

Dr. Beehner's list is comprehensive. I experienced a bit of a,b,d, & e. They were minor short-term nusances at worst.

Peaceful Lion's and Clive's comments about expectations are equally as important.

As others noted here, stick with a coalition doctor and you will be in great hands.

Good luck.

It's pretty time consuming, I'll tell you that. I almost took the plunge a few years ago, but backed away. Instead I went for a replacement.

JA Alternatives. First Interlink, then EHK. No hairline issues. Couldn't be happier. The company has a gentleman there that used to create extra hair for celebrities and movies (promotional link removed), and given that everything is shot in high-definition these days, they can't make the kind of mistakes they used to make decades ago.

Worked for me - so I thought I'd share.

One downside that has been neglected so far is the fact that a strip HT leaves a linear scar in the donor area. For some people this is going to be a major issue later in life :

-going for an FUE procedure

-shave all and forget about hair in a later stage of life (may sound weird for most readers here, but it happens more often than you may think)

- limit hairstyles to the size of the scar (no more summer buzz for most)

This information should be provided by any dr. giving good advice, along with some of the other suggestions made here.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.