Shock Loss

Hi Guys

Does anyone understand the concept of Shock loss. I went for a consultation with one of the coalation doctors and he said that since i was a difussed thinner, the hair transplant would not be effective as i would have some shock loss and that would negate the effect. He told me to start finpecia and come back after a year. does that mean that finpecia will stop the shock loss....Also, with the side effects of Finpecia,,,i am not sure if i want to use it....i am really uncomfortable about my hair loss and would like to have the surgery done asap...i dont want to love with a thin head of hair for one year..as it is there is no guarantee that Finpecia works effectively...

"Shock loss" is either temporary or permanent; the temporary shockloss will grow back in tandem with your new HT and is not a real issue other than it sucks to maybe look worse for several months.

Permanent shockloss generally occurs with hairs that are "on their way out" -- that is, they are rather weak and you would invariably lose them anyways. So, how to mitigate or prevent permanent shock loss: the skill of a surgeon plays a role, as the finer the tools and surgical skill the less trauma and risk of permanent shock loss to hairs.

Another way is to strengthen these weaker hairs so that when it comes time for your HT there are less hairs that are prone to shock loss....getting on and allowing propecia/finpecia to take hold is perhaps the best way to go about this, but a combination of rogaine 5% and a nizoral-type shampoo could also help.

As a diffused thinner it is true that you are more likely to get struck with shockloss; however, there are definite ways to counteract this. And remember, hairs that do get perma-shocked are pretty much on their way out anyways.

As for side effects, the only way to know if you are in this definite minority is to try it out; can always get off it; as for there being no guarantee for its efficacy, this is true, however it is far and away your best bet. If you decide to go the recommended route, and the wait is killing you, try out dermmatch/toppik -- it saved me and helped bridge the time period to my HT.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Hi

Thanks for your prompt reply. Based on your reply, i have a couple of more questions.

How long do you think i should give Finpecia before going for a HT. I have been using Rogaine for quite some time now.

Secondly about nizral..i went to CVS pharmacy the other day and just found one kind of nizral...i have seen people using the 2% in other posters...Where do you get that...are there any other shampoos you would recommend.

About Dermatch....i dont know if it is true but i have heard that it damages the exisiting follicles...have you used it...does it help..

Hey,

It varies, but generally the effects of a Finpecia will start to take noticeable hold at around 6 months -- but that is a minimum. I think the answer to how long you should stay on it varies from doctor to doctor, and also with the nature of your hair; many will tell you 1 year, but I know some say 6 months and some say 9 months. I really wouldn't feel comfortable telling you how long, especially not knowing your actual situation; I would say, though, the longer the better.

Nizoral 2% is stronger, though some react poorly to it and switch to the more mild 1% -- which is what I take. I rotate between Nizoral 1% and Revita, which I love. If you want the 2% you most likely will have to find it at an online outlet.

As far as I know, dermmatch is in no way "bad" for your hair in any way, shape, or form. I started using dermmatch (and toppik) after I was told to be on the meds for a while before my HT. I was *so* distressed at the time and didn't know how I'd get through and bridge the time between then and my HT and the results.

It is not hyperbole to say that dermmatch/toppik have saved me; without it I have no idea how hermetic and insecure I'd be in any public situation. Especially for a diffuse thinner, I think the results can be tremendously dramatic and positive.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Thanks again

When you say, one reacts poorly to Nizral 2% what does that mean exactly. Also, how many times a week are we supposed to use Nizoral..What about Revita...What are the benfits of Revita BTW....

By "poorly" I don't mean it's going to wreck your hair, just that it is too strong for some scalps and can cause irritations -- especially if you use it frequently. If you are using just nizoral I would use it everyday, though I think the bottle has a baseline recommendation of less than this -- not sure, exactly. Revita is an elaborate shampoo that throws everything *and* the kitchen sink at combating DHT/hairloss. Revita serves a similiar purpose to nizoral, though it contains more components which may be good for your hair and hair loss....I think it smells really good and makes my hair appear fuller, and healthier as well.

-----------

Thx Bill, appreciated!

I remember knowing nothing (now next to nothing...icon_smile.gif) and how beneficial and nice it was to receive detailed aswers and info....the world of hair loss can be a tricky beast, always good to get and spread knowledge.

-----------