Latest on Propecia/Proscar and Prostate Cancer

Jotronic

Dr. Hasson has just asked me to post this on the boards as it is the latest study regarding Proscar and Prostate cancer.

Prevention of Prostate Cancer with Finasteride: US/European Perspective.

Thompson IM, Klein EA, Lippman SM, Coltman CA, Djavan B.

University of Texas Health Science Center, Division of Urology, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, 78229, San Antonio, TX, USA

PURPOSE: Prostate cancer is the most common male cancer, affecting one man in six. Prevention of this disease, even in a subset of patients would have a significant impact on public health. The results of the National Cancer Institute-sponsored Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial demonstrate that finasteride causes a substantial risk reduction across all known risk groups. We herein amplify on the results of this trial to assist patients and physicians in reaching individualized decisions.MATERIALS AND METHODS: The results of the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial were reviewed.RESULTS: The PCPT demonstrated a 24.8% reduction in prostate cancer risk with the administration of finasteride. High-grade cancers were noted in 6.4% of finasteride patients compared to 5.1% of men receiving placebo. The increase in high-grade tumors was seen within one year of finasteride exposure and did not increase over time. This observation, combined with previous evidence demonstrating an alteration in cytologic and architectural features of prostate cancer with hormonal therapy suggests that the differences in high-grade disease may be an artifact and that application of Gleason grading to these tumors may not be appropriate.DISCUSSION: Men should be presented the benefits and risks of taking finasteride and be assisted in integrating their sexual and urinary symptoms into their decision-making process. Blanket statements for or against the use of this medication ignore patient preferences and differential risk-benefit profiles from finasteride.

PMID: 14644115 [PubMed - in process]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peace,

Joe Tillman

aka, Jotronic

Hasson & Wong

Carpe Capillus!!

www.HassonandWong.com

www.Jotowen.com

All statements and opinions that I share are my own and are not necessarily shared by H&W. I am not a doctor so if your head falls off it's not my fault. Go VOLS!!

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr. Hasson has just asked me to post this on the boards as it is the latest study regarding Proscar and Prostate cancer.

Prevention of Prostate Cancer with Finasteride: US/European Perspective.

Thompson IM, Klein EA, Lippman SM, Coltman CA, Djavan B.

University of Texas Health Science Center, Division of Urology, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, 78229, San Antonio, TX, USA

PURPOSE: Prostate cancer is the most common male cancer, affecting one man in six. Prevention of this disease, even in a subset of patients would have a significant impact on public health. The results of the National Cancer Institute-sponsored Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial demonstrate that finasteride causes a substantial risk reduction across all known risk groups. We herein amplify on the results of this trial to assist patients and physicians in reaching individualized decisions.MATERIALS AND METHODS: The results of the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial were reviewed.RESULTS: The PCPT demonstrated a 24.8% reduction in prostate cancer risk with the administration of finasteride. High-grade cancers were noted in 6.4% of finasteride patients compared to 5.1% of men receiving placebo. The increase in high-grade tumors was seen within one year of finasteride exposure and did not increase over time. This observation, combined with previous evidence demonstrating an alteration in cytologic and architectural features of prostate cancer with hormonal therapy suggests that the differences in high-grade disease may be an artifact and that application of Gleason grading to these tumors may not be appropriate.DISCUSSION: Men should be presented the benefits and risks of taking finasteride and be assisted in integrating their sexual and urinary symptoms into their decision-making process. Blanket statements for or against the use of this medication ignore patient preferences and differential risk-benefit profiles from finasteride.

PMID: 14644115 [PubMed - in process]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peace,

Joe Tillman

aka, Jotronic

Hasson & Wong

Carpe Capillus!!

www.HassonandWong.com

www.Jotowen.com

All statements and opinions that I share are my own and are not necessarily shared by H&W. I am not a doctor so if your head falls off it's not my fault. Go VOLS!!

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Jo, any idea on what age group was studied?? How long were they on finasteride?? 2 years? 10? longer?

I thought somebody posted similar before that there is a reduced risk of cancer, but a slightly increased risk of aggressive cancers. Kind of a double edged sword.

Didnt Florida coach say you cant spell citrus without UT?

Keeping a look out for your results 3rd time around. I thought the 2nd job was great.

cheers.