First time poster..a few questions

I am 19 years old and just had a transplant done to about the front half of my head. The back and mid-scalp is thinning but not noticeable yet and I am on Propecia, which doesn't seem to be working. My doctor said that a possible plan of action would be to translpant the front of my head and then let the back fall out or cover it with a system if I don't have enough donor hair, and I went with that plan. I assume since I started very early and my father is a 7 on the Norwood scale , that I eventually will be there too. I have a few questions and would appreciate any thoughts that anyone has...

1. For the men that started transplants young..how did it go? I know about all the bad stories of starting young, and I'd appreciate any negative or positive stories. I went ahead with it being so young because I currently wear a system and I had confidence in my doctor.

2. Like I said, I currently wear a system. I am just wondering if anyone could post about how they transferred from the system to the real hair after everything had grown out. Did the transfer go ok? Noticeable? Any problems while wearing the system after the transplants?

Thanks a lot, and I appreciate any comments.

I am 19 years old and just had a transplant done to about the front half of my head. The back and mid-scalp is thinning but not noticeable yet and I am on Propecia, which doesn't seem to be working. My doctor said that a possible plan of action would be to translpant the front of my head and then let the back fall out or cover it with a system if I don't have enough donor hair, and I went with that plan. I assume since I started very early and my father is a 7 on the Norwood scale , that I eventually will be there too. I have a few questions and would appreciate any thoughts that anyone has...

1. For the men that started transplants young..how did it go? I know about all the bad stories of starting young, and I'd appreciate any negative or positive stories. I went ahead with it being so young because I currently wear a system and I had confidence in my doctor.

2. Like I said, I currently wear a system. I am just wondering if anyone could post about how they transferred from the system to the real hair after everything had grown out. Did the transfer go ok? Noticeable? Any problems while wearing the system after the transplants?

Thanks a lot, and I appreciate any comments.

• 5 weeks later...

DR.Cole ;

IN your response to the origional poster you stated "Propecia only delays the inevitable"..are you saying that propecia users are wasting there time and money by using propecia ???

Ouch,

19, already had an HT and currently wear a "piece"!! I find it outrageous that a doctor would even consider operating on you at that age. I would fear later hair loss outside the current recipient site and little donor hair in the future, especially since you stated that the Propecia isn't helping. I have had two HT's, the first not until my late 30's, and have never used Propecia. I would think you'd be better off avoiding any future procedure for at least 10-15 years to see where you are. I have know guys who had HT's after wearing a "piece". Although some of them are satisfied, assuming you'll achieve the same density with hair transplants is not realistic....

The design of the Hair Transplant in a very young man should be in the isolated frontal forelock pattern, because that will still look natural in the future, regardless of how much more loss occurs. The grafts should also be Follicular Unit grafts, so the look is natural. icon_wink.gif

Dr. Limmer

The isolated frontal forelock pattern has been written about by Dr. Manny Marritt. It is a pattern that does not put any grafts in the temporal recession or tie it into the side hair lines.

/jal icon_wink.gif

Dr. Limmer