'Re-evaluating' Chicago doctors

I have heard Pat or others talk about reevaluating a doctor's work.

Perhaps someone has had or has seen past bad work by a doctor and is criticizing that doctor out here and Pat or someone 'patient advocate is saying that this doctor's work is better than before and should be 're-evaluated'

As a former ht patient of some of terrible Chicago doctors - I understand exactly the order of precedence a patient would want with regards to the possibility of a hair transplant:

1.) The results promised by a doctor's advertising, their sales consultant and/or the doctor themself.

2.) No work done at all

3.) Crap work by a doctor

PLEASE NOTE #2 IS AHEAD of #3!!!!!!!

Lets say for arugments sake that one of these doctors' work has improved.

What you must look at it, and can not deny is that this doctor at some point in his past, lied or made promises he could not keep, permanently butchered and disfigured patients, and perhaps emotionally and financially ruined a patients life.

So you have to ask yourself when evaluating this type of a doctor is...

What is the honesty, the integrity, and most importantly - is this doctor looking out my best needs or his pocketbook placed ahead of your needs?

He has proven in the past that he has been dishonest for the sake of his wallet and/or to just use a patient as a guinea pig victim to practice on.

There is so much information available on the internet to find a good number of quality doctors throughout the US.

Why, then, would one even consider a doctor who has demonstrated a lack of honesty and integrity in his past?

HT's ruined my life (thanks Robert Thomas - hopefully you are now rotting in hell)

And the doctors I'm speaking specifically about are Chicago doctors.

Chicago, outside of Konior, is notoriouly known throughout the hairloss community, as being a joke when it comes to its hair transplant doctors.

Why even consider a Wentland or a Pomerantz or some of the other Chicago doctors in this vain?

There is nothing saying that if you live in Chicago you have to have your hair tranplant in Chicago.

HT's ruined my life (thanks Robert Thomas - hopefully you are now rotting in hell)

No patients on here ever recommend any Chicago doctor except Konior .

I went to Pomeratz and it was the second worse choice of my life .

The grafts grew but were poorly place low density and a wide scar.

I should have known better since the bastard was falling asleep during consultation.

That why its so important to research.

A clinic with 40 or less grown out pics is not a place I would even consider.

ninedonealready_2008,

I'm sorry that you've had a bad hair transplant experience. Feel free to share your story and hair transplant photos to our community.

If you are looking into repair work, Dr. Konior is definitely a gem worth consulting with and considering. He is also a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians. Dr. Keller is a newcomer to the public scene, but has been approved for recommendation by this community for doing quality follicular unit hair transplantation.

In my opinion, consult with each doctor you are considering and use the "find" feature of this community to see examples of their work and see what their patients have to say about them.

Best wishes,

Bill

Chicago for whatever reason has very little to offer in the way of hair transplantation.

It is sad that those doing poor work and passing it off on unsuspecting bald fellows at OUTRAGEOUS prices I might add, seem to keep thriving.

The one bright light in all of this is Dr. Konier who does fantastic work and has revamped his pricing schedule to make larger sessions affordable.

Good Luck!!!

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Is Robert Thomas on the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery and is this Board a definitive standard for determining the quality of the hair transplants done by a surgeon admitted to this body?

take care...

mmhce - Robert Thomas is dead (car accident about 4 years ago) and was the worst of the worst.

Please Grow Please - after Thomas botched me up - I went to Pomerantz. Yes, he is not very good. I do think he's gives a sh*t more than say a Thomas, but just is not talented and is stubborn in his ways. He still believes in the punch graft - claiming somehow it elimates bald skin - huh?

Pomerantz messed me up with a massive concentration of kenalog which he never told me he was doing - just that he would be able to reduce ridging I had as a result of Thomas. The part of my head where he did the injections where the ridging was more pronounced I permanetly lost tons of native hair. To this day I have a good amount of native hair on the other side where he didn't do the injections. Of course he never told me what he did, and only told me the hair would grow back - which it never did. Any doctor will tell you have to start conservative with the kenalog shots. He tried to reduce my ridging with kenalog in ONE bang - which he did succeed in doing. But in the process caused permanent hair loss - and then the ridging came back anyway.

I have gone to Konior for consultations and my brother went to him. My brother's work was great. I think that's also why I get so depressed about all of this - is that I see how good it could have been especially since my brother and I have had almost exactly the same hair loss pattern.

Obviously, I started with ht's before my brother (and the explosion of hair transplant info on the web). Thus I was in the dark when it came to picking doctors.

I hate myself for only having a consult with Thomas and based on that one consulation (not meeting other doctors) went with him.

Some of my problems are beyond repair. I went down to Cole because I thought bht was my only option and because he has done more fue than anyone in North America and with 4 strip scars, fue was my only option.

He did improve some of my problems but there is only so much he can do and he charges a very high amount for his work. His price for plug removal is $123 per plug and then $7 on top of that for each graft he reimplants from the plugs!!!!! I am still in excessive debt due to the 2 procedures I have had by him. Which not only sucks obviously for being in debt, but also I'd can't for a very long time have more repair work done because I am so much in credit card debt.

If I had a fresh head, I would go either go to Konior for a strip surgery or Cole if I decided to go the FUE route.

Cole's prices for fue is on the high end but pretty much about the same as the other top doctors. His prices for plug removal are way over the top.

Cole is more aggressive than Konior. I think to a small extent (though not like the real hacks) he promises more than he can deliver. But he does do excellent work.

Konior won't make any promises he can't keep and has pretty much talked me out of some things I wanted to do - like put more hair in my crown. He did the same thing with my brother, who was interested in lowering his hairline.

If all things are equal - going to a local doctor is better. Just for follow-up care and feedback - so yea, today I would probably choose Konior if I were to do strip surgery.

I think the top strip doctors are now leaving behind such unoticable scars from strip surgery with the new closure methods, that they believe fue is not necessary because the transection rate with fue is higher (though Cole disagrees with this) and the strip scar is barely noticable and can be easily filled in with very few graft via fue at a later date.