donor hair thrown out???

the doc and patient agrees upon a fixed number of grafts to be transplanted for a session...

lets say the number is 3000..

if the clinic harvests more than that do they give it for free??? dj dennis said he got some free from dr. E and i think dewayne also got some free from dr Cooley..

dewayne also said in a recent post he knows a clinic or two which throws away the extra hairs.. i defintely would like dewayne to name them... and shame them..

would also like to know what other clinics do to the extra hair .. the shapiros, dr true, h&w..

the doc and patient agrees upon a fixed number of grafts to be transplanted for a session...

lets say the number is 3000..

if the clinic harvests more than that do they give it for free??? dj dennis said he got some free from dr. E and i think dewayne also got some free from dr Cooley..

dewayne also said in a recent post he knows a clinic or two which throws away the extra hairs.. i defintely would like dewayne to name them... and shame them..

would also like to know what other clinics do to the extra hair .. the shapiros, dr true, h&w..

mm315,

In most cases, an estimated number of grafts will be agreed upon however, the patient is often told beforehand that an exact number won't be known until the actual extraction and count has been performed. Sometimes, the surgeon will generously transplant the overages for free. In other cases, the patient agrees ahead of time to pay for the grafts if there are extra.

Dewayne's comment was very general and it didn't seem that he had specific surgeons in mind when he said some may throw grafts away, lest reputations are hurt needlessly.

However, if specific names are listed by anyone, it's only fair that you substantiate it.

Best wishes,

Bill

Any reputable doctor will give any extra harvest to you free thus reducing your cost per graft as a set number of grafts and price is establish before the procedure. Most of the time they come in close but many times they have a few extra. In my 5 HT, I've gotten extra harvest on everyone (one time 200 additional)

SMOOTHY

HT-Shapiro

Propecia/Rogaine

MSM/Saw Palmetto

Nioxin

Zrii

In our practice, when we have more grafts harvested than our target number, those grafts are incorporated into the procedure at no additional charge to the patient. If, for some reason, we fall short of our mark, we refund our patient the difference based on the number "short".

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

No, I was just speculating that happens, which I would probably bet does. I don't know for a fact any clinics that do that.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

I know that Bosley does. When I had a consultation w/ one of the coalition docs he asked me how many grafts I received and when I told him 1500 he looked amazed and said because of the donar density I have and with how long of a strip they took he estimated that they may have thrown away up to 1000 grafts. Of course I cant prove it and Bosley knows you cant, but it should come as no surprise that they would do something like that. I wish they could be put out of business somehow!

Originally posted by Dr. Timothy Carman:

In our practice, when we have more grafts harvested than our target number, those grafts are incorporated into the procedure at no additional charge to the patient. If, for some reason, we fall short of our mark, we refund our patient the difference based on the number "short".

It's just awesome to see Dr. Carman posting here, if only for very, very self-serving purposes since I live in San Diego. It's great to see that a doctor like this cares about what a community thinks and wants to help them with their concerns and worries and help to educate everyone. A good business move!

At our clinic we do a fixed rate for the patient, if we get more grafts than expected we do not "up the price"... I recently received an email from a patient of ours regarding this:

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">I would like to take this time to express my utmost respect and appreciation for Dr. Ricardo Mejia and his staff at Jupiter Dermatology & Hair Restoration.

I recently have had a second hair restoration procedure done and this experience from beginning with making the call to the office, to the consultation, to the actual procedure was absolutely amazing. I am positively thrilled with the results and extremely happy that I decided to go with Dr. Mejia and his staff oppose to the surgeon who performed the first procedure I had done 12 years ago.

When I first called to inquire about the procedure, Dr. Mejia's staff was extremely easy to talk to. They were very kind, very professional and above all, very knowledgeable. They answered every one of my many questions before I decided to schedule the actual consultation with Dr. Mejia.

When I met Dr. Mejia, I felt at ease right away. He was very very kind and very very thorough during the consultation. He answered every question and concern that I had. I knew right away that he was the surgeon that I wanted to have the surgery performed by.

On the day of my surgery, I noticed so many different things, one being the respect that Dr. Mejia and his staff had for one another. In this day and age when patient and customer service standards have all but diminished, not only was so much kindness extended towards me, but seeing them work together as a team so harmoniously was wonderful.

I believe I was scheduled to have two thousand grafts done that day but because of Dr. Mejia and his staff's hard work, determination and dedication to their craft, I was given almost a thousand more extra grafts. The procedure took much longer due to that and everyone was amazing. In fact, it was actually fun. While Dr. Mejia and his staff remained very focused with such precise hard work, I got to lie their and talk to them about music, movies, actors and all kinds of entertainment. It was great. It would have been very uncomfortable to lie there all that time with silence.

As for the results, I love it! There grafts have been growing in beautifully! I am so happy with the work that Dr. Mejia and his staff did. It's absolutely amazing! I cannot get over how quickly the grafts started growing in. Everyone around me has been noticing. I am so happy I had it done. I just wish I did not wait as long as I did to continue with hair restoration. I would have a ton of hair with all the grafts Dr. Mejia did but because I did not go sooner, I will need to go back to have other areas made thicker. And after the fantastic experience I had with Dr. Mejia and his staff, there is no other surgeon or office that I would go to.

I personally would like to thank Dr. Mejia and his entire staff for the utmost kindness and professionalism and I recommend them without hesitation as I am convinced that he is the best surgeon for this procedure.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dennis

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida</span>

Senta

*I am a Medical Assistant at Jupiter Dermatology & Hair Restoration. Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions :)

Dr. Ricardo Mejia is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network.