20 year old going through a HT

Let me start off by explaining a few things. I am a 20 year old male. My hair loss happened within a very short time frame after I had a few medical problems a few years back. Prior to this my hair was thick and full with zero signs of hair loss - period. When my hair loss occured, It was basically clogging the drain during showers it was coming out at such a rapid rate. It has been 2-3 years since this occured and all I can chalk it up to is intense stress due to my other problems(that were worked out a while ago). My hair dresser noticed my hair loss as it was happening and commented on how my once extremely thick hair was thinner. I obviously have brought this up with my doctor and his "conclusion" was that it was probably stress related or could be natural. I had also been wearing a tight headband as my hair was 5-6 inches long and I had been into working pretty hardcore prior to my medical problems.

Anyway, 3 years later(present time) I am left with noticably thin hair from the normal hair line in the front that reaches back 1/2 inch - 1 inch ONLY on the left and right sides. My frontal hair line is still intact in the middle. There is almost a viewable line on both sides where you can see the thin hair transition into the thicker frontal area in the middle. Overall my hair loss is pretty minimal compared to what it could be, but at 20 and a specific career in mind, I am simply not satisfied with just buzzing it down(which it is right now, and it just makes it more noticable) or "dealing with it". It hasn't progressed from what I can see in the past 2 years and remains the same. I tried minoxidil(x2 a day 5%) for 8 months or so, and I actually did seem to get improvements even though it apparently isn't that? effective in the front. The thing is, I am an athletic person and will soon be moving out of the country, applying minoxidil just isn't an option. Not to mention the effect was slight, if anything. I stopped the treatment and after 2 months my hair was back to normal after the little gains I noticed.

I realize some of you will urge me to wait it out, but I'm done waiting. Now is the time for action - period. My hair loss really is NOT that bad as it is limited to a small area in the front-left and front-right(almost like another user on here named Mp96), but I still have hair on both sides, just thinner and blondeish compared to my other dark hair.

I've read about different transplant methods but in all honesty have not researched everything. I am however aware of the downfalls which can occur, so I want to do this right.

Can anyone refer me to a Doctor in the Massachusetts area(central mass)? Would like to stay within a few hundred miles if possible. Also, since this is my frontal hairline and would be visible, what type of procedure would most likely be the best in terms of a natural look without permanent scarring... I wouldn't mind buzzing my hair down after I have a respectable hair line without scars.

I am extremely thankful for whatever experiences/opinions I can get here, but I assure you telling me to put it off etc won't deture me. I refuse to go through my early 20s embarassed by my hairline.. and this is coming from someone who is already extremely confident.

Let me start off by explaining a few things. I am a 20 year old male. My hair loss happened within a very short time frame after I had a few medical problems a few years back. Prior to this my hair was thick and full with zero signs of hair loss - period. When my hair loss occured, It was basically clogging the drain during showers it was coming out at such a rapid rate. It has been 2-3 years since this occured and all I can chalk it up to is intense stress due to my other problems(that were worked out a while ago). My hair dresser noticed my hair loss as it was happening and commented on how my once extremely thick hair was thinner. I obviously have brought this up with my doctor and his "conclusion" was that it was probably stress related or could be natural. I had also been wearing a tight headband as my hair was 5-6 inches long and I had been into working pretty hardcore prior to my medical problems.

Anyway, 3 years later(present time) I am left with noticably thin hair from the normal hair line in the front that reaches back 1/2 inch - 1 inch ONLY on the left and right sides. My frontal hair line is still intact in the middle. There is almost a viewable line on both sides where you can see the thin hair transition into the thicker frontal area in the middle. Overall my hair loss is pretty minimal compared to what it could be, but at 20 and a specific career in mind, I am simply not satisfied with just buzzing it down(which it is right now, and it just makes it more noticable) or "dealing with it". It hasn't progressed from what I can see in the past 2 years and remains the same. I tried minoxidil(x2 a day 5%) for 8 months or so, and I actually did seem to get improvements even though it apparently isn't that? effective in the front. The thing is, I am an athletic person and will soon be moving out of the country, applying minoxidil just isn't an option. Not to mention the effect was slight, if anything. I stopped the treatment and after 2 months my hair was back to normal after the little gains I noticed.

I realize some of you will urge me to wait it out, but I'm done waiting. Now is the time for action - period. My hair loss really is NOT that bad as it is limited to a small area in the front-left and front-right(almost like another user on here named Mp96), but I still have hair on both sides, just thinner and blondeish compared to my other dark hair.

I've read about different transplant methods but in all honesty have not researched everything. I am however aware of the downfalls which can occur, so I want to do this right.

Can anyone refer me to a Doctor in the Massachusetts area(central mass)? Would like to stay within a few hundred miles if possible. Also, since this is my frontal hairline and would be visible, what type of procedure would most likely be the best in terms of a natural look without permanent scarring... I wouldn't mind buzzing my hair down after I have a respectable hair line without scars.

I am extremely thankful for whatever experiences/opinions I can get here, but I assure you telling me to put it off etc won't deture me. I refuse to go through my early 20s embarassed by my hairline.. and this is coming from someone who is already extremely confident.

Epstein ,Bernstein,True+Dorin and Feller in NY, Ivan Cohen in Connecticut.. Those are propably the closest that I would recomend.

So you dont want to hear the whole speach about "you are to young and you should wait" HUH! Well then I will say that when you are 40 years old, which believe it or not you will be some day just remember that "you were told that at 20 you are to young and there is no way to determine what NW level you will advance to" speech you ignored. Good Luck!!!

BTW... You may be turned down due to age.

Thanks for the referals.

The thing is, I don't consider my situation normal. My hairloss, as minimal as it might be, occured within a very short time frame and has seemingly stopped. If for some reason it continues in the future, I will have zero problem dealing with it as it comes. I am living the here and now and as I've said, I haven't seen much in the form of progression in my case. Knowing this I don't see why I would be denied.

Did you ever consider trying Propecia (the drug finasteride)? A number of people claim it thickened thinning hair, which it sounds like is your sole problem. Also, from what I've read the younger you are, the seemingly more effective the drug is. Check out this guy's results from Propecia. Not saying you will get these results, but it is a possibility. At your age, IF a HT Doc says yes, most likely they will make you try Propecia first (if they are credible!). Also, most Docs recommend you get on the drug anyway to strengthen existing hair and guard against shock loss from surgery. Give the drug 10-12 months, and in that time research types of HT, Doctors, number of grafts, etc.

here is the link http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=156138

• 2 weeks later...

1.I DONT RECOMMEND A HT AT 20.A BAD DECISION

2.ROGAINE & PROPECIA TAKES 18 MONTHS TO SHOW SOME DECENT RESULT.

3.STAY ON PROPECIA,ROGAINE FOR ATLEAST 365 DAYS AND THEN GO AND SEE A COALTION DOC LISTED ON THIS SITE..YOUR PROB WILL BE SOLVED...ITS POSSIBLE THAT U WILL REGROW 25% HIRS AS U R VERY YOUNG.BEST OF LUCK

I'm just curious as to why it is a "bad decision". I explained my situation, and made it clear that my hair loss hasn't continued; it happened out of no where, occured quickly, and stopped. I also made it clear that I'm not going to get upset and cry if in 8 years, it progresses and I need to pursue another HT or other forms of treatment.

As far as Propecia/Rogaine... I tried minoxidil(5%) and even if I would have seen amazing results, it isn't something I want to be burdened with the rest of my life, especially if my hair is no longer falling out. $70 dollars/month being drained from me for results that aren't a gurantee or near it is not appealing.

So again, I ask, why in your eyes, knowing the basics of my circumstance, is this a "bad decision"? If anything getting this done and over with right now is the BEST option, as I have NO intention of going through my 20's afraid of such a small portion of my hairline being thin, but is still a big problem in my eyes.

You _think_ your hair loss has stabilized and you _think_ that it was not caused by traditional MPB.

The problem is that at 20, you have not had a chance to observe if it really has stopped. I know you think you have, and youre trying to convince us of this because you know that 20yos are usually rejected for the very reasons we state.

Hair loss goes in waves, and it sounds like stress may have accelerated an underlying MPB condition. In another 10 years (which sounds like an eternity) there is a very good chance you will have lost more, maybe much more.

If the condition was caused by a medical condition, the hair will likely grow back in time (may take 1-2 years), unless your condition is very rare, in which case you need diagnosis from a dermatologist first.

Also, if your drain was clogged with hair, that means you are experiencing loss in a significant area. You probably dont see or feel the interior loss, but it is there. Thinnning temples alone will not clog the drain.

OTH, if you are really a man, you dont need our opinions; you will go ahead and make up your mind for yourself. I suspect the reason you are asking here is that you want some hand holding or some talking down. Whatever. Do what you want, its your life.

You are probably in denial right now about MPB. We all go through denial when we first see signs of loss. You wil eventually accept it, and HT may be an option when you admit it is MPB and that you will need more HTs down the line as loss progresses.

Agony-

Welcome to the HTN-

I would suggest that the best way to really get help is NOT to outline to the people you are seeking help/advice from exactly what YOU FEEL is the appropriate/correct answer that YOU WANT TO HEAR. I realize that may come off a bit harsh, but in order to really get the information you say you want/need, you have to LISTEN.

Remember, in life, if we don't get what we want, it is either because you really didn't put in the effort, or, you tried to haggle over the price.

This portion of "the lecture" over..... icon_wink.gif

As a hair restoration surgeon, I am interested not only in my patients looking good a year from now (the length of time to realize the full potential of a given hair restoration procedure); I want them to look good 10-15 years from now. Therein lies some of the "art" portion of this practice. The ability to comfortably predict the future hair loss pattern/severity is a cornerstone of helping to keep both the current surgical plan as well as possible future surgeries in line with the patients predicted lifetime hair supply-demand balance in their favor, so that:

1. They do not find themselves "behind the eightball" in terms of supply so that they are unable to "fill in" areas of continual loss because of an earlier procedure that "set the bar" too high (e.g., such a low hairline on the first procedure that subsequent procedures required greater amounts of hair than had the hairline been more conservative). This is a nightmare situation and VERY difficult for the patients that experience such.

2.See #1.

3.See #1.

Please try and help yourself by LISTENING to the advice these good folks have for you. THEY are probably the best resource you have when it comes to informed, experienced information.

Listen to them, and chances are you will NOT end up with an unnatural result.

On the other hand, not listening may result in you experiencing exactly the situation you say you want to avoid.

My best to you-

Oh- also, if you could upload a few clear photos we may better eval your situation-

Sincerely,

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

your way to young to make the claim your hair loss was an isolated incident and not MPB. Give it a few more years to see if you notice any further progression. I remember when i started losing my hair it would go in waves. Seemed like every six-eight months my hair would suddenly shed excessively then stabilize for another six-eight months and so on. At least go see a dermatologist first to determine the actual cause of your hair-loss.

I assure you I don't need "hand holding" in my decision.

I also realize I am not a medical doctor and have no clue what my future entails in terms of hair loss. All I know is what occured to me personally. So I will more clearly state it: I had chest problems after an extensive exercise regigme, I was 17-18 at the time and convinced myself I was dying and the doctors had no idea what was happening for quite some time. I went 4+ months with constant pain in my inner thoracic cavity not knowing what was happening. During this period, I noticed whenever I would run my hand through my hair during a shower, I would be pulling out 10-20 hairs each run through. I went into panic mode and was constantly pulling on my hair to see if I was still losing it. When I say "constantly pulling", I don't mean in disturbed fashion. This would only occur during showers, hair grooming etc.

Anyway, this went on until my chest pains cleared up and after dozens of tests the real cause was found which wasn't serious. After this, my hair loss ceased and I haven't seen a piece of my own hair since(I am nearly 21 now). That is 2-3 years without seeing any continued hair loss, when at the time(2-3 months period), I was seeing hair all over my keyboard, all over brushes, all over everything. I don't doubt my hair overall is thinner than it was prior to this, I already elaborated about this in my original post. The area where the most occured just so happens to be on the front left/right, exactly where my headband was during the hair loss.

As I've also stated, continually taking Minoxidill/Propecia just is NOT an option in my line of work. I will be out of country and won't even have access where I am going. If a Doctor turns me away after I explain what I believe to be a unique situation, I will simply go to another Doctor. Lets face it, while I admire what being a Doctor stands for, I am the one paying for the result I want and he is the one bringing in the bank. I'm living the here and now, and while me saying it might be worn out for some of you, I in all honesty, do not care what happens to my hair in 10 years, nor am I under the delusion the Doctor doing the procedure genuinely will. If I am right, and going by what I've described, it just doesn't seem like a normal situation of a 20 year old going bald and crying for a HT that will look horrible in 2 years because I did it without waiting for progression. If I am wrong, I will deal with it as it comes. I am not a weak person and will not dive into deep depression if I start naturally losing my hair when I am 35.

"Hand holding", "Talking down"? I do appreciate whatever comments I can get. I started this post asking for referals after all. However, I've made my run through forums for many many years, I understand the original post usually isn't even read in its entirity to understand the particular situation at hand. What most people allowed themselves to read probably equated to "Massive Hairloss, 20 years old, punk, demands HT surgery, doesn't care about opinions". I promise, that couldn't be further from the truth, I am the only one that experienced my situation, so please read what I said as I did go into pretty extreme detail about what *I* have seen over the years.

Ultimately, it boils down to this: I came on here looking for referals so when I do get this done, it is done as best as possible, without horrible mess ups from poor "Doctors". When I see that many of you still insist I am "too young", of course I am going to ask what makes this a bad decision; that doesn't equate to hand holding in my view. We live life once my friends, years go by that we can never have back. If you have the funds and the will to do something that will excel your happiness/confidence you must go for it without hesitation. If I knew anything about HT 2 years ago, I would have still chased it down even if my hair behind it would have fallen out 2 months later. That would have been 2 months with a full hairline. Instead, those years have passed by with me wearing hats and attempting to mask my problem. While my hairloss is no doubt minimal compared to what some of you are going through, I am also 20 and any form of hairloss just is not acceptable to me at the moment. A year is a significant portion of time in our short lives that cannot be recovered, when you attune yourself to the bigger picture, a HT is a minimal thing which is why I continually state, I will deal with this as it comes. If it is 2 years, 6 years, 10 years, or my entire life before my hair loss progresses, I refuse to just "wait it out" because I am a decade younger than some of you. My intent was to get a name and progress from there, which is exactly what I am doing. So don't confuse that with me asking the question "Why is this a bad decision?" and equating it to me attempting to find a quick way out based on YOUR opinions. I will pursue it either way, but there is no fault in that. I am still curious as to what some of you will toss my way.

Agony,

If you've already made up your mind to pursue hair transplant surgery at such an early age with minimal hair loss, then there is nothing we can say to convince you otherwise.

That said, I do believe exceptions can be made for younger patients based on certain conditions. Whether or not you meet those conditions will be for a qualified surgeon to decide.

Be careful however, as many surgeons out there will be happy to take money from anyone and give them a hair transplant. But it's not always in the best interest of the patient.

In my opinon, do a few consultations with a few of our Coalition surgeons and see what they say about your case and go from there.

Good luck,

Bill

Agony

I recently had a transplant , and, luckily for me found this site, before i made any rash dec isions. The guys on here really have your best interests at heart!! and the advice you will get is based on experiences good and bad, that they have had.

You have had several replies, one even from a top surgeon, so my advice is take them on board, before you make your decision.

My advice for what it's worth, is don't even think about a hair transplant at your age!! if you lost hair as a result of trauma or illness, the chances are it will grow back naturally, do a search on shock loss on this forum.

All the best

Clive.

By the way, Bill, I just browsed your thread and wanted to say: Good Job! Your hair looks pretty fantastic. Excellent that you've made such progress.

Also, can anyone else recommend Ivan Cohen(Conneticut)? It would be the closest option and I would like to know if his work is up to par, as I don't see him on the coalition page.

Ag,

I used to see Cohen as my dermatologist; actually, when I was 20 I went to him and implored him to give me a HT. He refused.

Without seeing actual pics of you, it seems that if you are indeed adamant about getting a HT, FUE may make good sense to explore -- however, be extremely cautious as to who you go to for a HT (FUE in particular).

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

On what grounds did he refuse? Simply age?

What was different with Dr. Feller that made him accept you for a HT?

I imagine Cohen doesn't do FUE?

If not, any Doctors in the same area(conn,mass etc) that are recommened and able to do this procedure?

Cohen is pretty "conservative", as far as I know; this couple with my young age made him reject me pretty swiftly. To be honest, it was a very selfless and prudent move on his part -- I was literally imploring him, but he stuck to his guns, which shows some charachter. True&Dorin also rejected me, initially, though they later were willing to do a small strip op on me.

I don't believe Cohen does FUE. One of the things that initially drew me to Feller was that I felt his FUE was first-rate, and that if I was going to get a small, conservative session this would make the most sense. Feller ended up recommending a much larger session of strip to satisfy my balded-bozo needs. icon_smile.gif

Feller is like ~1hour drive from Cohen, btw, if I remember aright.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Agony,

I don't think age alone should stop you from getting an HT or being a candidate. If your hairloss was in a progressive state I would say go for it. Thanatopsis is a great example of a young guy who turned out to be a good candidate. Unfortunately it is very tough for any of us to give you practical advice without really seeing what you're dealing with. So, we can all speculate, but the bottom line is only a TOP HT doc can give you the answer. IN your case I'd be very careful about who I went to see. Dr.Feller is an aggressive/Top doc who is also extremely ethical. I would definitely use him as a starting point.

Also, allowing distance to choose your doc is not as good idea. If you truly want to get an HT do it the right way.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I too don't think age has ANYTHING to do with the equation. It shouldn't atleast.

Anyway, I would only be worried that besides age, I would be rejected because my hairloss really isn't as profound as one would think. My hairline is almost intact in the front, just pushed back on the sides a little bit. It is mostly just thin/blonde/peach fuzzish type hair on the right and left frontal area going back about 1 inch. When this all happened it also did not fall out in symetry so the right side is visibly thinner than the left. I also do not think that should rule me out, as even though my hair is just thin in those areas, if all was well in the world, that would make me a better canidate than someone who had a really bad hairline/hairloss in the same areas. Where as I would need very few grafts.

For me this is more or less trying to get back to what my hairline once was and more importantly THICKEN that crap so it doesnt look horrible with a full head of hair and then 2 small little circles of thin hair on either side of my frontal... or atleast as close as I can achieve with one HT.

edit: I can't get any pictures right now, however I found a picture of a young stud like myself who has nearly the same loss as me.

http://www.fellermedical.com/photogallery/patient3_main.htm

That looks nearly identical to what mine is and has been for the past 2-3 years. However, I will say mine is not quite as far back, although its hard to tell because where he seems to be almost completely hairless in the front, I *DO* have light blonde/thin hair with a little bit of normal black hair in the same areas. So basically, close to that, except no symetry with mine, and not as aggresive all around.

Another thing, I have a buzz cut right now. When I didn't, I would gel it and it almost appeared as if I had very little hairloss because the gel would darken the now blonde hair up on either side. You could tell it was slightly thinner than the rest of my hair overall, but not by much. Is this permanent blonde hair/light/thin just part of what occurs? As I said, its been the same for 2-3 years and almost gives the impression that I have bleached my hair in those 2 areas(i.e. with a buzz cut, there is almost a line on the inner parts where the thin/light hair turns into dark hair).

Zero in on getting FUE, imo; though I haven't seen your actual pics, by virtually all indication and facts out there this seems to be the most optimal thing for you to explore.

Start doing some consults, see what's what and gauge n' compare n' contrast the docs opinions. For your age, and the minimal loss that you seem to have, I don't see how anything other than a small, high-yield FUE would be better -- arguably, not getting a HT, but that is really up to you.

-----------

agony, age has a lot to do with the equation for one simple reason: finite donor hair.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I think I will consult with Dr. Feller within the next week or two. From your experience, is there usually a long wait between consult > decision > procedure? I am pretty involved athletically, and I would like to gauge my downtime based on how long I should expect to wait. I realize you aren't Dr. Feller, but is there anything inbetween meeting with a Doctor and getting something like an FUE done that is a time sink/wait?

I see where you are coming from. All I can say is judging by what I've studied, FUE would be my best option, and I would probably fall in the 300-600 graft range. Again, I've seen no progression since the initial "fall out".

It took me ~10 days to get the consult; from there, ~24hours to make the decision; from there, ~1.5months to undergo the procedure.

Feller no doubt has a high influx of patients, so there can for sure be a wait. How long? I can't really say, though it's something you and Dr. Feller should discuss personally and come to a date that makes the most sense if you still want to go this route.

I'm not sure if you were also alluding to the downtime post-op, but even if you weren't this is a critical thing to understand; specifically, relating to athletics. I'm extremely active in sports (boxing and jiutjitsu), and this was a major concern I had too.

If you end up with FUE your "downtime" will be markedly swifter than mine, which is a principal positive of FUE as opposed to strip. Nonetheless, just for reference, in 2weeks I started up with light exercise and after a month I was training again pretty much as usual.

-----------