Round/fat face

I am 180lbs and 5'11, but my face is always fat and round and made worse by short hair. My father's face is not fat, but he probably weighs 160lbs and is 5'10. I think the roundness is worse because I am on Propecia and was terrible when I was on Avodart.

Is there any way I can get the face to become smaller without losing weight? Liposuction under local anaesthesia possible?

well, bodyfat is distributed everywhere throughout the body; thus, the higher your bodyfat the more "fat" your face will be; at 5'10 180 lbs I would guess that your bodyfat isn't too high; guessing 12%; if you get your bodyfat under 10% your face will definitely be "leaner" looking; however, you can't change the genetic shape/structure of your face; if you have a round face shape/structure you can't change that; propecia/advordart should not have any effect on your face roundness; it hasn't on me, anyway;

Losing about 10% of that body fat, to me, seems to be a much better option than going under the knife...

But, I need / plan to lose about 20 lbs. myself.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Well but based on proportions, even if I lose 10lbs of weight, my body fat percentage will probably just go from 24% to 20%. Whats the easiest way to make sure that the 10lbs I lose is mostly fat rather than fat and muscle?

Originally posted by Tembo:

Well but based on proportions, even if I lose 10lbs of weight, my body fat percentage will probably just go from 24% to 20%. Whats the easiest way to make sure that the 10lbs I lose is mostly fat rather than fat and muscle?

High rep, circuit weight training 3 - 4 times per week. Low intensity running 3 times per week.

This should do the trick, imo.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Tembo, If you don't already workout, you'll definitely want to start there, and after the ball gets rolling you might be amazed how your loooks change, especially for many in the face. I lost 12-15 pounds a while back pretty suddenly and I couldn't believe the new person I was looking at. Others were saying the same thing. If you're working out you'll start to lose weight and just lay off the some of the fat foods like everybody knows. I don't count calories or body fat or even worry too much about weighing myself, I just look in the mirror.

• 2 weeks later...

Cardio work is the best way to lose extra body fat. If you look at most actors these days, especially on TV because it makes people appear even bigger than film, they are all going for the lean look, it adds definition and structure to the face, they were lean even in the 1940's and 50's.

Hi Tembo

As well as working with a hair transplant surgeon, I also work with a facial plastic surgeon.

One procedure you may like to enquiry about in your city is " Buccal fat pad" removal, these are the two fat pads in your cheek area that for some people can make the face look round and undefined.

It is a fairly quick prodedure to do and all incisions are made inside the mouth.

Bro, I can't say this enough...STAIRMASTER!!!! do around 45 minutes a day on speed intervals...it will melt the fat off rapidly...I have been doing this training thing since I can remember and the stairmaster is far beyond anything else! I stay at 4% bodyfat all year round. Before I started using the SM my face stayed round and fat looking...also STOP using salt and really watch your sodium intake. Read the label on everything you eat! NO SALT!

1st HT 1-5-05 - 1894 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

2nd HT 12-18-06 - 1542 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

Total: 3436 FUT's

Current Protocol: Propecia Daily, Laser Therapy EOD 20 mins.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Tembo:

I am 180lbs and 5'11, but my face is always fat and round and made worse by short hair. My father's face is not fat, but he probably weighs 160lbs and is 5'10. I think the roundness is worse because I am on Propecia and was terrible when I was on Avodart.

Is there any way I can get the face to become smaller without losing weight? Liposuction under local anaesthesia possible?

Tembo - you have almost the same stats as I do. I've found that jogging with some light weight training has helped in me losing the roundness. That and doing he scalp exercises created by Tom Hagerty have given me a stronger, more pronounced looking jaw line.

• 1 month later...

Tembo-

IMHO at 5'10" and 180 lbs you are at least 20 lbs overweight. I would NOT recommend ANY surgical procedures for the condition you describe. The posters above recommending hard work thru exercise are dead on. I wouldn't, however, recommend running as a start, as, at that weight, you may develop knee issues. Try biking. Low impact, great cardio, and you can pace yourself better IMO than with running. The other KEY to weight loss is NOT to eat at night. VERY little ever talked about re that one, but, if you eat after, say, 7 PM, the majority of ALL those calories are gonna get converted into FAT, and there goes that days workout!

Best of luck getting to the new you!

Sincerely,

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

• 2 months later...

Dr. Carman,

I am 5'11 (but you are right, probably still overweight by at least 10lbs).

Do you think there is a genetic component to body fat percentage and body fat location depending on race?

• 1 month later...

I simply have to reply to this one..

the best ways to lose weight:

1) Exercise

2) Diet

The best approach is to combine weighttraining and cardio.

Do not use high reps, your body needs a reason to keep its muscle, and the best way to do so is to challenge the muscle. Anything between 3-12 reps is fine given the right program.

Also, exercise should not be 2 hour marathons, instead high intensity cardio of 5-15 minutes is preferred.

In response to diet: Eat lots of animal protein, restrict your carbs and only eat slow carbs (dark bread, vegetables (especially the green ones)) etc, and dont forget to eat non-saturated fat (fish, oil, nuts etc) because the body will not drop what it doesnt receive under extended periods of time.

Eat 5-6 times small meals daily, and that includes eating before sleeping. Remember, your body needs a slow steady flow of nutrients, and most people sleep 8 hours. If the meal is good, It will not layer as fat, because you are working out and as such it will help you preserve energy and muscle.

By the way i have dropped down from 220 lbs to 180 lbs in a year using this method without losing that much muscle - i still bench 250 lbs, thats a 20 lb drop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...