losing transplanted hairs

Guest wanthairs

Guest wanthairs

I have been reading about various cases of patients losing their transplanted hairs, years after the procedure and going bald again? I was under the impression that transplanted hairs from the "safe" zone last forever.....Does this man that some of us could be going through balding all over again after going through all this expense and heartache?

Guest wanthairs

I have been reading about various cases of patients losing their transplanted hairs, years after the procedure and going bald again? I was under the impression that transplanted hairs from the "safe" zone last forever.....Does this man that some of us could be going through balding all over again after going through all this expense and heartache?

wanthairs,

There have been a few hair transplant doctors on recent threads that have posted about this topic.

I don't have the thread handy, but keep your eye out.

In a nutshell...

The transplanted hairs are permanent as long as the safe zone is permanent.

But there has been some discussion over what really is the "safe zone".

As people age, the donor area can begin to think out a bit which means any hair that has been transplanted may also thin out as well.

This is yet another reason why medication might such as finasteride may be worth taking even into the later years.

Bill

Hi Experts........

I too had my HT with Dr.Epstein on 18th of Aug(2100 grafts).I am 3 weeks post op co.Now i lost almost all Grafts(newly transplanted hair with root- people says shaft and this is normal). Now i am little bit scared of this situation.I dont know what to do if the grafts will not grow.May i know about your situation because you too had HT with same doctor where i had.Did your hair grafts also fallen down?Whats the situation abt your new hair.Eagerly waiting for your reply.

Experts

Thanks....

Had HT with Epstein -2100 grafts.

Taking Propecia.

Guest wanthairs

dbk...

it is perfectly normal for the grafts to fall out initally in the first month. it happens to almost everyone. usually in about 4 months you start seeing signs of growth.....

When exactly did you say you had the procedure?

Thanks for your reply..

I had my HT on 08-18-2007 in Miami by Epetein - 2100 Grafts.

Originally posted by wanthairs:

dbk...

it is perfectly normal for the grafts to fall out initally in the first month. it happens to almost everyone. usually in about 4 months you start seeing signs of growth.....

When exactly did you say you had the procedure?

DBK20032002,

Welcome to our community.

Firstly, please check your calendar...because if you received an HT from Dr. Epstein on 8/18/2007, I want to borrow your time machine icon_wink.gif.

But yes...

Freshly transplanted grafts will shed approximately between 2 - 4 weeks and will start to grow again between 3-5 months.

Cheers,

Bill

I had my initial HT done by Dr Dorman in 1992-1993. I had two scalp reductons as well as extensive HT. There is no question that some of the transplants done at that time are no longer producing hair. For some reason, it is much more noticeable at the front of my head on the right side. I have had a "touch-up" done by Dr Hasson in 2003. I have talked to other guys online who have had this problem as well. The transplant doctors don't like to hear about this.

Guest wanthairs

Well,

I have to say that this really sucks if this 30 grand I will end up spending goes down the toilet because the safe zone is not really safe. I wonder if doctors really do not like to mention this. Are there any Doctors reading this who can talk about this, as this is a potential big problem???? MAybe I will start using rogaine on my donor area as a precaution.....

Can a doctor please chime in on thsi subject????

wanthairs,

I believe the "safe zone" is safe...

However, it is true that with age, the donor area can thin a little bit which means the transplanted hairs may thin a little also.

But think...

If we are talking about an older person with no MPB whatsoever, but his donor area thins a bit, his recipient area will thin a bit too. It's not that all the hair will fall out...but some might.

I would think that it's only in extremely rare cases that somebody would actually experience a big loss in the "safe zone".

Bill

Hey guys,

Bills answer is a pretty good one. Yes, likely it will thin if you live to a good ripe age but unlikely you'll lose everything. It will actually probably just look natural as both areas thin a bit. Don't worry.

This is however another reason to wait until an older age before having a HT so that there is a better idea of future changes.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

• Moderators

2 things to watch out for.

If we can't predict how much hair loss a person will eventually have, then we can't really predict the size of the safe area. For example, some men lose hair in a horseshoe pattern and then after the pattern seems to be well defined they start losing hair further down the back as the years go by. What looked like a large donor area later can turn out to be not so large. I think some gys who are NW 5 and have several HT sessions should be careful of this. Also, I think there's been a few pictures of scars that look to be too high in the donor area. Those are some that might end up being not in the "safe" area 10 years later.

When you have strip HT the area is pulled together and stapled or sutured closed. What happens is the remaining hair bearing skin on the sides and back will stretch to compensate. This pulls the remaining follicles in that area slightly further apart from each other. It won't make any real difference if you only have 1 or 2 strip surgeries, but 3 and 4 of them may start to thin the remaing area a bit. It's not much to care about at first, but could make more of a difference years later when/if that area starts to thin naturally as you age.

Just a note. I have lost hair past my scars, so it does happen.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.