Feller, Cole, Rose

kriss

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't go to Cole, as I've heard way to many shady things. Especially with the other options available, which you've mentioned. To me, it would be between Feller and Rose, no doubt.

I am not terribly familiar with Rose, but I have heard good things from credible people about his work and I would definitely inquire further.

I didn't ultimately get FUE done this time around, but I VERY keen on it, and did quite a bit of research into it. Initially, I went to Feller in an effort to get FUE done by him.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I would consider Feller. Cole is very skilled but not too sure of his ethics. I would love to recommend Dr. Rose as I know that he is skilled and have heard great things, but in all honesty haven't seen much work posted. Thats too bad.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

again , the thing with Cole and ethics. I've not seen a single post on this, or the 4 other forums I research, that Cole does bad work, just things about ethics. But no one will say what it is about his ethics? Is he just not a nice guy? says bad things about his colleagues? claims to have invented FUE?

I've read over a dozens posts about satisfied patients of Cole. I'm not looking for a best friend here, just the best Dr.

I can drive to Cole, about 4 hours away. Feller I would have to fly. Money is not a main factor here, but if Cole the best, or one of the best, it would just make the most sense to use him. ?????

Kriss,

(For all reading this, this is simply information available to anyone that I am merely re-posting)

The size of the instruments used vs other docs (for instance, Dr. Feller will not exceed .9mm)

The finding of a study done by Dr. Cole that claims no difference exists between the 1mm and .75mm punch.

The lawsuits and threatening of lawsuits to former employee's and online forums that allow posts contrary to Dr. Cole's view/practices.

I have never met Dr. Cole in person-- his hairlines and overall yield are held in high regard. The only real question many have is as to the condition of the donor region after many thousands of fue.

Anyway, this is all information that is readily available on every forum.

Kriss, if Dr. Cole is 4 hours from you-- set up a meet and greet with 4-5 patients who possessed similar needs-- look at the results, look at the donor and talk to them.

Then make up you mind-- you won't be able to achieve that level of research unless you do.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I also want to know what?‚??s wrong with cole?‚??s work, can you describe it in easy understanding words? my english is not that good. i am from europe and have an appointment with dr. mwamba the guy who worked together with dr. cole.

is it he same with his work?

Basically if a doctor uses a 1mm punch it will leave a bigger hole in your head than a 0.75 mm punch and in some doctors opinions the bigger punch may damage the follicles next to the one being extracted.

Also the smaller the hole the more densely hairs can be placed.

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

Kriss, if Dr. Cole is 4 hours from you-- set up a meet and greet with 4-5 patients who possessed similar needs-- look at the results, look at the donor and talk to them.

B-Spot this sound advice. If he doesn't like what he see's. Then he moves on.

Originally posted by the B spot:

1mm punch

1_mm_punch_1.jpg

Here is a picture of what 1mm and 1mm+ punches look like---- remember, these extractions are left to contract on their own.

While this may be ok in some patients, it is obvious that patients who have scarring issues have a good chance to heal with very noticeable scarring.

In addition, there is subcutaneous scarring and potential damage to adjacent follicles. The larger the punch = more scarring and greater potential for damage. Just because the extraction site contracts with little or no visible scarring, does not mean that scarring does not exist.

With that said-- I really have no issue with a doc who uses a .75, .8-.9mm punch primarily BUT, for very large groupings and in limited quantities perhaps the 1mm punch can be employed.

I think if ANY person goes into a HT with the notion that no scarring will occur is NOT a candidate. That does not excuse a doc who removes 2-3-4K grafts with large instrumentation when smaller instrumentation will work.

I really like Dr. Feller's and Dr. Rose's approach on this-- (Dr. Feller will NOT exceed .9mm) but both tailor extractions to the patient and strive for smaller instrumentation if possible.

One other point here-- when discussing fue punch sizes-- the size given is the INSIDE DIAMETER of the punch-- that is to say-- you must add some additional number for ACTUAL extraction size.

.8mm punch maybe is a .9mm-.95mm ACTUAL extraction

I hope everyone sees the aversion to the 1mm or 1mm+ punches. Yes, they are easier for the doc and staff, BUT, may not be in the best interests long term.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Originally posted by frog:

is that picture of a cole patient?

Frog, I do not know who the doctor who performed this surgery--- all I know is that 1mm punches were used.

Again, this is NOT aimed at Dr. Cole---just a frame of reference for 1mm punches (or greater)

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Makes me want to do a strip! I've seen several photos of FUE donor site , right after extractions, and they sure didn't look that bad!

Makes you wonder what you can really tell from a photo.

I don't think B_spot was saying that he uses *only* 1mm and above; just that he disagrees with other docs about there being drawbacks to it (which B_spot gives examples of) and has no real aversion to using punches that big where other doc's refuse to ever go above .9

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

B-spot,

I doubt the photo you posted is a 1mm punch. If it is, the donor area is very unusual. I suspect that a 1.1mm or greater was used. Very gruesome.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I think the reason there is a lot of speculation on the web about Dr. Cole's ethics but not much concrete info is that he threatens to sue anyone who tries to disseminate said info (I know he's made several legal threats against this site as well). That alone would make me avoid him because I figure someone who's innocent would rather resolve a situation than pay lawyers to threaten people. Looks like a shady character.

He may be very proficient, but what if he happens to make a mistake with you? Most good doctors would try to make it right via free correction work or a refund combined with a referral to a colleague. Would Cole do that? Or would he sue you for defamation if you complained on some forum?

Do you really want to risk finding out?

No question that the photo B put up are holes made with a punch larger than 1mm. I'd say more like a 1.2mm or greater.

If a clinic doesn't disclose what size instrument they are going to use on a patient then they are not giving "informed consent" and are breaking the law. State medical boards take informed consent VERY seriously, as do the courts.

IMO, if an FUE clinic doesn't disclose the instrumentation they are using because they claim it's "proprietary" just leave the office.

To date there are only 2 truly proprietary custom made FUE instruments in use today. One was made by myself back in 2002, and the other by Dr. Harris. We use our respective instruments on a regular basis and never once made the public or our patients guess what diameter the cutting surfaces were.

IMO any clinic claiming they won't disclose the instruments they use is not only breaking the law, but using "proprietary" technology to hide something they don't want the public to know. Simple as that.

FUE should be a transparent field and all technology disclosed. Any attempt to hide the actual instrumentation being used is an evasion until proven otherwise.

So far, no clinic has proven otherwise.

End the hype and make all FUE doctors accountable to their patients. As far as I'm concerned, all FUE cases should be videotaped by a third party to document how well each and every FUE graft comes out. If this ever became law, 99% of the FUE practitioners out there would no longer offer this meticulous procedure.