What do you think of this hairline placement?

Hi everyone,

I have been an avid reader on this community for the past 4 months. I plan on getting a hair transplant procedure done within 1 to 2 years from now. After spending a lot of time researching different doctors and viewing many peoples results on this site, I have put Dr. Rahal as my number one choice at this point. This is mainly for his ability to create density and his ability to create ascetically pleasing hairline design/placement. I have created a weblog with photos and would like some feedback on whether you think the hairline placement I have drawn on my head is attractive, too aggressive or about right.

I think this aspect of hair restoration gets overlooked often and it is one of my most important concerns. I have seen patient results where the hair density is fabulous, but the actual shape of the hairline does not look attractive or natural. I'm not sure if it is because the docs went with a standard U or V shape and did not take into account the shape of the patients head? Please take a look at my photos and thank you all for providing such an informative forum.

P.S. I just started taking 1/4 proscar 2 months ago. I am 30 years old.

Hi everyone,

I have been an avid reader on this community for the past 4 months. I plan on getting a hair transplant procedure done within 1 to 2 years from now. After spending a lot of time researching different doctors and viewing many peoples results on this site, I have put Dr. Rahal as my number one choice at this point. This is mainly for his ability to create density and his ability to create ascetically pleasing hairline design/placement. I have created a weblog with photos and would like some feedback on whether you think the hairline placement I have drawn on my head is attractive, too aggressive or about right.

I think this aspect of hair restoration gets overlooked often and it is one of my most important concerns. I have seen patient results where the hair density is fabulous, but the actual shape of the hairline does not look attractive or natural. I'm not sure if it is because the docs went with a standard U or V shape and did not take into account the shape of the patients head? Please take a look at my photos and thank you all for providing such an informative forum.

P.S. I just started taking 1/4 proscar 2 months ago. I am 30 years old.

Guest josh - b

hi nr4,

You're doing the most important thing...researching.

I think at 30 and giving yourself another 1 to 2 year surgery time frame is very wise. It will allow u to see how well the finasteride is working. Assuming it works well in stopping your hairloss then u will be able to go forward with surgery with a lot of confidence.

Dr Rahal produces excellent results and by all accounts is a top guy.

I think your hairline drawing is just right and very age appropiate.

If you haven't had a consultation yet i would suggest doing an online consultation with dr Rahal and get his opinion.

well,

the hairline certainly looks ideal. I just wonder if your compromising density for such a great hairline. I guess it depends, as always, on a number of variables (i.e. donor hair quality and quantity, the stabilization of your hair loss, your goals, etc...). Im sure others will chime in with more than what I have. good luck.

IMO, I would go a little more conservative; I would like to see it angle back on each side at the temples instead of straight. however, I have seen many Dr. Rahal pics and he gives a hairline placement to patients your age or younger and it looks great; i guess i'm concerned as far as long term, future donor availability etc...

NW4recession,

Welcome to our community.

As it seems like you have discovered, hairlines should be custom taylored creatively and artisticly to each hair transplant patient.

The hairline should be decided on by both the hair transplant patient and the hair transplant doctor performing surgery. Obviously the lower the hairline (liberal), the less hair density that can be achieved behind it.

However, you appear to be in a good position as you don't have a lot of hair loss behind the hairline and you have just started Proscar. You are also not in your early 20s like many who want a liberal looking hairline. The fact that you also are going to wait a year or two before undergoing hair transplant surgery to continue your research is also a good idea.

Personally, I have found that a more staggered hairline is quite flattering and natural looking however, a straighter hairline with a slight "U" shape can certainly look quite nice as well. As I've stated, a lot of it is personal preference.

Best wishes,

Bill

frontview_1.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. It is very helpful. From my exposure to this online community, i have learned how important it is to have a long term plan before undergoing a procedure. My thoughts are that if 1-2 years from now, it looks like my hairloss is stable, then I can go for 2500 grafts in the area that I have drawn in the pictures. I imagine this will give me great density and may even exceed the density I currently have in my forelock since that is starting to get weak. I would have to plan on another procedure 5-10 years later since I think my forelock will eventually thin out over time(maybe not with proscar though :-).

What are your guys thoughts on having some grafts placed in my forelock on the first procedure to help delay the time needed for a 2nd procedure?

I plan on having a consultation with Dr. Rahal and getting his opinion too, but always like to hear what others have to say.