Proscar..other side effects..question

Question for a Dr.,

When I 1st started using Proscar, I began cutting 5MG in half to 2.5 MG, thinking this would jumpstart my dht killing progress just a bit faster than cutting into quarters 1.25MG.

It seems at the 2.5 MG dose I noticed knee ache's..and to a lesser extent lost some chest hair ??..Crazy as it sounds when I reduced the dose to 1.25MG..<like I was supposed to>...the side effects went away....needless to say I had no loss of libido.

Is knee swelling or body hair loss..somewhat common side effects of Finastiride???

In closing I have found the drug effective in holding onto my hair <including HT hair>

Question for a Dr.,

When I 1st started using Proscar, I began cutting 5MG in half to 2.5 MG, thinking this would jumpstart my dht killing progress just a bit faster than cutting into quarters 1.25MG.

It seems at the 2.5 MG dose I noticed knee ache's..and to a lesser extent lost some chest hair ??..Crazy as it sounds when I reduced the dose to 1.25MG..<like I was supposed to>...the side effects went away....needless to say I had no loss of libido.

Is knee swelling or body hair loss..somewhat common side effects of Finastiride???

In closing I have found the drug effective in holding onto my hair <including HT hair>

Dear NW:

I don't kmow whether the knee pain is a recognized side effect. I'll have to see if there are any reports of this. I have many patients on Propecia and none of them have reported knee pain.

The increased chest hair might be a possible side effect at the higher dosage. As finasteride blocks conversion to DHT, testosterone levels increase. This might cause the increase in chest hair that you noticed.

Paul T. Rose,MD