Is there really no way to combat a receding hairline?

mxm

There is no data either way regarding the effect of Propecia long-term for people your age.

I agree that you should do some reading about how Propecia works. Minox may also be a good alternative, but do your homework there. Make sure your pattern matches the way Minox works. Otherwise, you could end up wasting your time and money.

As for side-effects, studies show that men who have taken it over a long period of time (not sure the exact duration) have shown a decrease of incidents of prostate cancer (25% decrease I believe). The drug was originally intended to treat enlarged prostate (still used that way today).

My advice: listen to your doctor. If you are truly concerned, get a second opinion from another doctor. While Propecia seems to be harmless, only your doctor knows your medical history. Everyone has an valid opinion, but prescription medication decisions are best left up to you and your doctor.

Propecia has worked wonders for me, but I am 37, and I did so at the advice of my doctor. My hair has stopped falling out, and I have some minor growth (didn't see any regrowth until after 1 year of taking it).

Good luck,

PerfectFew

PerfectFew

Do you realize that long-term, in this industry, is short term in reality?

I fully expect Propecia to be a relic of hair maintenance in the near future. It will be regarded as a nice progression to an even better technology. If you're young, I think, go ahead and take it! It's what's out there right now.

By the time we're 37 (for me, 17 years) there will surely be something more potent, and effective.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by dhuge67:

Do you realize that long-term, in this industry, is short term in reality?

I fully expect Propecia to be a relic of hair maintenance in the near future. It will be regarded as a nice progression to an even better technology. If you're young, I think, go ahead and take it! It's what's out there right now.

By the time we're 37 (for me, 17 years) there will surely be something more potent, and effective.

You are probably correct. I really hope it becomes a relic, and they get better treatments. The fact that there is no data for men younger than 18 years is not necessarily a bad thing either. The studies I know of were only conducted for men ages 18 to 41.

I really wish I could have started taking it at your age. That is only my opinion, however, since I know it is working for me. The sad fact is that it wasn't available for me 17 years ago. If I had started taking it when it first became available, I probably would not be discussing it on this forum, since I believe would still have a full head of hair.

PerfectFew