Best HT surgeon in india?

Hi All,

I am 26 and currently live in Dallas. I had visited a few HT clinics here(hairclub etc). I was told that i need around 1400 grafts @ around $5-$8/graft. I am basically from Bangalore/India and it seems to be pretty cheap there! Can someone recommend the best HT surgeon in india? i would be travelling to india in a couple of months to visit my parents and would like to get the procedure done while in am in india.....Any help is highly appreciated...i am very sad at the moment about my hair icon_frown.gif

Hi All,

I am 26 and currently live in Dallas. I had visited a few HT clinics here(hairclub etc). I was told that i need around 1400 grafts @ around $5-$8/graft. I am basically from Bangalore/India and it seems to be pretty cheap there! Can someone recommend the best HT surgeon in india? i would be travelling to india in a couple of months to visit my parents and would like to get the procedure done while in am in india.....Any help is highly appreciated...i am very sad at the moment about my hair icon_frown.gif

Hey Indian,

U don't realize how lucky you are icon_smile.gif not only for being in US where the best docs are in close vicinity but also for having found this community.

As a fellow Indian I know what you mean. An Ht out here would cost around 1/3( or even lesser) of what it might cost in US or Canada. However the q remains would one be willing to butcher one's hair just to save a couple of thousand dollars?

I have been researching about the various docs practicing HT in Indian ... not only on this forum but also elsewhere and the essence of a 6 month long journey wd be- don't take a chance with ur follicles. For all you know you wd have to spend much more in corrective surgeries in future.

You might wanna search about Dr Rajput, Dr Mahadevia and another (cant name the last doc on the forum owing to his misuse of this forum's resources).

I had consulted Dr Rajput and was gonna go under the knife in a month's time (literally)... fortunately i found this forum.

And for your 1400 follicle HT the cost with the best of docs in the world shd come to arnd $4 a follicle.

@@ Mav,

thanks a lot for your reply! yes even i feel that i should get this done here in USA, but i thought since i am vising india in near future i can get this done in india,....how are Dr Rajput & Dr Mahadevia ? if the quality is not as good as the doctors in india, then i definitely wouldnt go to them! but right now i am very depressed. There is not one day i curse my grandfather who gave me these genes icon_frown.gif

@Indian

icon_biggrin.gif let the old man be !! along with the baldness in those genes I am sure he wd have also given you some great positives !! we Indians !!...no wonder those overtly dramatic saas bahu sagas do so well on Television icon_smile.gif

Anyways coming back to the task in hand.. use the search button here on this forum to hunt for Dr rajput n mahadevia. See I am in the same boat as you I too wd need around 1500 grafts mainly in the hairline and temple region... and rs to dollar conversion rate being what they are HT sure is gonna be one expensive thing for me. But still i don't wanna take a chance here in India. I had rather get an HT done by the best of the best in the world. After all i wanna make it a one time thing and with something as imp as one's looks and hair one doesn't wanna take a chance.

I wd suggest you devote some time on this forum..reading and making yourself aware of the various docs and their results. Its IMP to take your own time and don't rush into things... this was the advise given to me by fellow members here and i am glad I dint rush into anything.

I had shortlisted around 7 docs after going thru various posts. I wd strongly advise you to do the same and correspond with the docs. You wd be surprised to know how professional the docs are on this community... they go out of their way to set one's mind at ease. I am afraid in India as of now its more like a business venture and not too good at that.

Keep the posts coming . Folks here wd only be glad to help you. Tc...

hey! thanks Mav! can you please give me the list of doctors you have shortlisted? and which one do you feel is the best? $4 seems kinda affordable....i would rather get it done from a very good doctor who does not destroy any follicle! i want to get this done ASAP. Please help icon_frown.gif

Hi Mav,

It would be great if you could send a private message with your shortlisted doctors. Would really appreciate it. Are you based in India?

I do agree that you want to get HT from the worlds best - but are the Indian docs really that bad. For a while Bosley was considered one of the first and the best in HT - and I'm sure initially they did a very good job - but once they become big - the kind of service they offer is not the same anymore.

But in India - these practices are just coming up. Just because they are new - doesn't necessarily mean they wont be good right.

Even if there is one doctor in US or UK - that is recommended by everyone - I'm sure you'll still find few people who had bad experience with this doctor?

Maybe its just sour grapes icon_smile.gif - I'm based in India - so I need to convince myself that Indian doctors are not that bad too - Just my 2 cents icon_smile.gif

@ Indian,

I would strongly advise you into rushing into a surgery. "research" and make your self aware.

My first post here on this community was " who is the best doc for reconstructing hairline". I too was impatient and al I wanted was a name of the best doc in the world and rush in. Have a look at the link:

Best doc for reconstructing hairline

There are quite a few things you need to be aware of before a surgery... shock loss for one, future planning in case of further hair loss in non transplanted areas.... the more you wd read around the more informed decision you wd be able to take.

However I wd like to give you my shortlist. Have arrived at it after going through various patient before after snaps and also after taking other forum member's views.

# Dr Rahal

(amazing for providing dense and natural looking hairline. He and Dr Armani are reputed to be at the top with hairlines but Dr Armani has various ethical issues and also he is considerably more expensive... btw rumor is Dr Armani has done the HT on Mr Salman Khan though no one is sure of the fact)

# Hasson and Wong

(the name says it all. Considered to be the gurus. Quite at the top when it comes to filling in the crown region)

# Dr Feller

(again a guru and a legend. specializes in Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) not to say he is any bad with the strip.)

# Dr Ron Shapiro

( a pioneer ! what would one say about a guy about him this forum tells us "Many hair transplant surgeons have selected Dr. Shapiro for their own personal hair restoration surgery" !! easily an elite !!

# Dr Epstein

(very neat results. I was specially blown away by his personal attention. The man patiently explained all my doubts through numerous personal emails without in any way pushing for himself.. hats off !!)

# Dr Alexander

( very neat with hairlines and some great great results as you can see in the album section of this forum)

Please read about these docs ...mail them with your condition and expectation ... !! these docs in my opinion are among the best in the world. One cant go wrong with any of them. Cheer up you are gonna look terrific in no time.

Hey Gubloo,

Yes I am based in Mumbai and i wd have been the happiest guy around if We had a doc i cd have trusted blind folded with my HT here in India. I dont wanna say anything negative about the HT docs here in India but if have never seen exceptional result coming from here.

See according to me an HT in addition to be being a surgery is also an art. You are either artistic or you aren't. There wd be a a very thin line between a dense hairline which looks fake and a natural looking dense hairline. You get my drift?

I agree there are new docs coming up in India and in future there might be someone who wd be as good if not better than the docs i mentioned but till that time I wd hate to be a guinea pig and take a chance with my hair.

Indian docs are numero uno when it comes to everything else.. be it a spinal surgery or general heath care but unfortunately as far as HT goes... its disappointing.

Hey mav,

Thanks a lot for your list. Appreciate it. I totally agree with you about not being a guinea pig for these doctors to experiment with.

So is your research still going on or are you close to making a decision. When is the BIG day icon_smile.gif

I'm just curious, do people really go to US for getting their hair transplant. Apart from the actual cost of HT, there'll be so many other expenses like travel, stay etc.

Do any of these doctors have practices in India or visit India for doing these procedures.

Again thanks for the list - I will study about these doctors and contact them.

Cheers

Hey Gubloo

An Ht in the States or Canada is indeed uhh...expensive comparatively icon_smile.gif I was all set to get it done in India in the beginning of this year and had planned my finances accordingly but then i found this forum and decided not to take a chance.

Most of the docs on this forum provide a reimbursement of a part of one's travel costs and in some cases also might have you put up at a decent joint for the surgery. You would get a better idea if you communicate directly with the clinics.

Unfortunately none of these docs have practices or visit India...though I wish they did. Maybe we cd convince them ....would be a smart business move too icon_smile.gif

I am in the final stages of fixing up my HT. shd be able to reach a decision within a couple of weeks.

Happy hunting !

@ Indian,

I would strongly advise you into rushing into a surgery. "research" and make your self aware.

Indian that should have read " I would strongly advise you against rushing into a surgery ".

Hey Indian,

always glad to be of any help mate ! You are headed the right direction now that you are settled and hunting for the right doc. Dr Shapiro is indeed an elite...in fact you cant go wrong with any of the above docs. Its all a matter of your being comfortable with one of the docs and relating to him.

Mind sharing some more of your hair loss history and if possible stick along some snaps of your present condition in here? Stuff like how old are you, since when have you had the loss problem, medications if any...

Here are some questions i might wanna ask a doc during an online consult. For a personal consult there wd be some more qs though.

What is the session size recommended?

What is the density goal(s), where and why?

What incision sizes will be used?

Staples or Sutures?

Future planning?

Size of staff, and experience?

Hairline design?

How to combat shock loss?

Post or preop medications.

-Can you aid me in financing?

-Can I get a reduced fee for cash or short notice surgery? Travel reimbursement?

-What is your policy for grafts that don't grow?

-How much time off work will I need?

Would i need to shave my hair for the surgery?

all the best mate... one day soon you gonna be one ecstatic indian_huh_whoz_balding icon_smile.gif

Cheers !!

guys, i'm indian also (born in the US, family is from Trivandrum); however, i do not plan on flying to india for an ht. it's true that ht's are much cheaper there; however, then you have to factor in the cost of travel expenses, the discomfort of adjusting to time zone changes, and adjusting to a foreign environment for a temporary stay. additionally, i really haven't been too impressed by any indian doc's.

i live in chicago, and i'm visiting dr. ron shapiro in a few weeks for a consultation. minessota is only a 6 hour drive. convenient enough for me to get surgery and drive myself back home. i would rather pay a few dollars more per graft than deal with the headache of traveling to india.

Hey Mav,

Great advice !!!! - Thanks after reading your message I get all pumped up and excited icon_smile.gif

Just a little background info on me - I'm 28 years - started losing hair when I was about 23. Have a maternal uncle who got bald at 25 - and they say a guy typically gets hair from his maternal uncle (not sure how far thats true) - but in my case it is.

Actually had pretty good hair till I was 21. Then I did something stupid - I went and straightened my hair - I know that was foolish - did that twice in a year and my hair were never the same again - started losing them very badly - tried rogaine for several months - did'nt have any effect.

So thats my story icon_smile.gif - Good luck with your procedure.

Thanks for all your help

Hi Guys,

M from bangalore, did lot of research out here and found out that the standard is not up to the mark. Good you have decided to do it in US. ITs cheap but not worth it.

M plannin to travel to US in another 3 or 4 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mav!

how are you doing?? okay i seem to be doing a lot of research, and i have narrowed down to 3 doctors.

Hassan and Wong, Rahal and Feller!

I did checkout Ron shapiro too, somehow i did not like the results.

i will start taking some clear pictures and get consultation from them. This is going to set me back by $10-$14k for the kind of results i desire i believe. Mav, do you have any personal suggestion among these?? your help is much appreciated! Damn, i wish hassana and wong or Rahal were in US.. icon_frown.gif

Hey I_balding!

Bro.. It sure makes me happy that you are doing all the right things.. researching n shorlisting. I remember my first day on this forum around 6 months back... all i wanted was a name- the best doc in the world so I cd go to him.

I had no idea of Ht- FUE or strip, closures- tricho or otherwise, Shock loss... I am glad I got some very decent advise from guys here.

Now that you have been researching you must have your own reasons to bring down your shortlist to these 3 names. I am sure you wd have been going thru before after cases of all the docs. With no disrespect to Dr Shapiro who I know is among the best of the best... the the three you have shortlisted have, in my opinion diff expertise...

Hassan & Wong - I wd choose them if i had filling work in my mid scalp region. they are the best when it comes to providing overall density esp arnd crown..

Dr Feller: A pioneer and among the best of FUE. His ethics and innovations are beyond reproach.

Dr Rahal.... Well ...icon_smile.gif In my opinion he is the best when it comes to hairlines esp if one has curly or thicker hair. I wd have gone to him had i saved enough for a surgery in Canada.

You haven't posted photographs of your present condition so I wdnt know what exactly is the extent or area of your hair fall. Try posting some pics here...

And as for your last statement... Damn I wish Dr Rahal was in India... an eyes closed decision for me icon_smile.gif

@ Pink

Wish we had a quality surgeon in India mate... Docs here are the best in prcatically everything... why cdnt we have somone who's the tops in an HT?

@ I_b

$10-14k for a 1400 follicle graft? Its arnd $4 a graft on an average. If you do go in for a 1400 hair graft it shd come to arnd $6 k.

Hey Mav! thanks for your reply....i am afraid i would need definitely more than 1400 grafts! like others here, i had only gotten these numbers from hairclub and alikes, which are no way world class....i believe i would need around 3000 grafts!!! i plan to research for another 3-4 months(mean while save money icon_biggrin.gif) then go for it...

My hair is very soft n silky not too dense icon_frown.gif and my crown area is full(aleast as of now!) but my main issue is hairline!! by birth my forehead was wide but now my hairline is way too bad! typical male pattern baldness,....i will take some pictures and make a blog probaly this weekend...thanks for the reply!!

Dr Feller: A pioneer and among the best of FUE. His ethics and innovations are beyond reproach.

I agree Dr Feller is great at small fue sessions and acheieves nice strip results on a consistent basis. but a pioneer ? Of what? I know hes invented his own fue punch but so have plenty of others.

Anyway Indian Balding Call 20 doctors in US and give them all the names including Shapiro and ask who is a the closest that could even be considered a pioneer and who they would let do a transplant on them .Ill bet you Dr Shapiro comes in first.

Saying that, You would be in good hands with any of the doctors Mav suggested.

If you dont like a docs work then move on like your doing .

Narrow it down until you find your guy .

Good luck as this is a HUGE choice,that will affect your life forever.

hey "please grow please" thanks for the advice....thanks a ton guys, from my research so for i have the following doctors shortlisted in the order of preference and i am sending photos for evaluation and estimates.

1) Rahal

2) hasson and wong

3) Feller

4) Shapiro

Lets see how it goes, yes i understand this is gonna affect my life forever so i am gonna research(and save $$$) until end of the year i plan to get my surgery around Dec...